Weston is a town of 3,900 people (as of 2019) in West Virginia. It's a great base for getting to nearby Stonewall Jackson State Park, and it's also a good destination for glass collectors and history buffs.
Get in Edit
Weston is at the junction of US-33, between Athens, Ohio in the west to Buckhannon in the east, and US-19, between Clarksburg in the north to Summersville in the south. The nearest major highway is I-79, which begins in Charleston and goes up through Morgantown to Pennsylvania; Weston is just west of exit 99.
Get around Edit
- Downtown Weston has a variety of historic buildings dating from the late 19th century, and restoration efforts are constantly underway.
- 1 West Virginia Museum of American Glass, 177 Main Avenue, ☏ . Open from noon to 4PM, every day except Wednesday and Sunday. Dedicated to the rich glass heritage of the region and the nation, focusing on the glass boom of 1900 - 1940. The museum displays glass products from bottles to lightning rod balls, from telegraph insulators to glass used in automobiles, from pressed to blown tableware, and discusses not only the famous glass factories, but also the hundreds of smaller and often-forgotten glass houses. Also features educational interactive displays, and a museum store.
- Jackson's Mill Historic Area, 160 WVU Jackson Mill, ☏ , toll-free: . Apr-May only: Tu-Su 10AM to 5PM. A special mission regional campus of West Virginia University, home to the state 4-H camp. The historic area includes a grist mill belonging to Stonewall Jackson's grandfather, Blaker's Mill which still grinds cornmeal and wheat flour, and the McWhorter Cabin which is similar to Stonewall Jackson's childhood home.
- 1 Stonewall Jackson Lake State Park, 149 State Park Trail, ☏ . Features a visitors' center below the dam with displays and information. Fishing, hunting, camping. Home to the Stonewall Resort.
- Stonecoal Lake (south of US-33). Famous for musky fishing.
- Candle Creations, 4 Sawmill Road, Horner, ☏ . M-Sa 9AM-5PM, Su 10AM-6PM. I Scented jars, carved candles, special-occasion candles and a variety of other West-Virginia-made gifts.
- Smoke Camp Crafts, 1289 Smoke Camp Road, ☏ . Organically-grown culinary herbs and blends, old-time homemade jellies and jams, and specialty foods, all made of natural ingredients from their farm. Nature hikes and garden tours are also available by appointment.
- Appalachian Glass, 499 US-33 E, ☏ . M-Sa 9AM-5PM, Su 11AM-4PM. Specializing in hand-crafted and mouth-blown "old world" apples and ornaments, with over 500 traditionally produced soda-lime crystal products.
- Giovanni's, 731 N Main Avenue, ☏ .
- T & L Hot Dogs, West 2nd Street, ☏ . Locally renowned for their delicious sauce.
- Lambert's Vintage Wines, 190 Vineyard Drive, ☏ , . Daily 10AM to 5PM. 11 wines, including one made from blackberries. Winery tours and free wine tastings available. On-site gift shop also offering handmade West Virginia pottery.
- Quality Inn, 2906 US Highway 33 East, +1 304-904-4272. 70 rooms. Exercise gym, outdoor heated pool. Complimentary continental breakfast. $63 - 95.
- The Inn At Plantation, 1322 Hackers Road, Jane Lew, ☏ . Couple of machines in the fitness center and a complimentary breakfast. $61.
- Jackson Lodge, Jackson's Mill, +1 304-269-5100. Motel rooms, private cottage rooms or cottage dormitory-style housing.
- Stonewall Resort, 940 Resort Drive, ☏ , toll-free: . In Roanoke. 198 rooms; luxury cottage, campground and houseboats also available. Spa with massage therapy, facial treatments, salon, body wraps, masks and scrubs; indoor and outdoor swimming pools and whirlpool; saunas; sundeck; fitness center; hiking and biking trails; lake excursion tour boat; and a par-72 golf course. On-site restaurants and pub: Stillwaters, Lightburn's and TJ Muskies. Packages start around $150. Cottages $275 - 375 per night, campground $33 per night, houseboats $400 for 2 nights.
- Weston Super 8, 12 Market Place, ☏ , toll-free: . 62 rooms. $60 - 90.
- Weston Democrat, 306 Main Ave, ☏ . The city newspaper.
Go next Edit
- Buckhannon is about 20 minutes east on US-33/US-48.
- Clarksburg is about 30 minutes north on I-79.
- Glenville is about 40 minutes west on US-119
- Sutton is about 40 minutes south on I-79
- Elkins is about 45 minutes east on US-33/US-48.
- Morgantown is about 1 hour north on I-79.
- Summersville is a little over 1 hour south on US-19.
|Routes through Weston|
|Morgantown ← Clarksburg ←||N S||→ Sutton → Charleston|
|Columbus ← Spencer ←||W E||→ Buckhannon → Harrisonburg|