seaside town on the north east coast of England
Whitley Bay is a coastal town at the edge of the Tyneside connurbation. It became a seaside resort in the late nineteenth century.
Three stations serve the area.
- 1 St Mary's Island. variable, depending on tide times, but no longer than 10:30 - 17:00, generally only at weekends in winter. Small island with a lighthouse which can be accessed at low tide. The lighthouse was built in 1898. The lighthouse and former keepers' cottages are now run as a visitor centre by North Tyneside Council. lighthouse £3.15.
- 2 Beach and Promenade. A long sandy beach. This is down several flights of stairs from the promenade.
- 3 Cullercoats Harbour.
- 1 The Roxburgh, 4 Roxburgh house, Park Ave, ☏ . Home cooked British food.
- 2 Spanish City. Grade II listed seaside pleasure buildings and grounds built in 1910. After many year of decline and closure in 2000 it was refurbished and reopened in 2018, mainly as a dining venue. mains from £1o in Trenchers.
- 1 The Fire Station, 18 York Road. Wetherspoon's pub in a former fire station, built in 1909 and operational until 1991.