Wikivoyage:User account migration
|This page is no longer active and is retained for historical reference. Either the page is no longer relevant or consensus on its purpose has become unclear. Do not assume content on this page is still correct or up-to-date.|
|This page in a nutshell: If you had an account on the old Wikivoyage site, or if you have contributions that were imported here from Wikitravel, you can merge the records of your contributions into your account on this new Wikivoyage site.|
This page is for people who contributed to the old Wikivoyage or Wikitravel sites, and who want to have their contributions on those sites reflected in their accounts on this new Wikivoyage site. If you would instead like to rename your Wikimedia account, please see Wikivoyage:Changing username.
You may already have accounts on some or all of the following:
- This Wikivoyage site
- Wikivoyage sites in other languages
- One or more Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) sites (en.wikipedia.org, etc.)
If you operate a single username for all WMF sites, including the new Wikivoyage sites (in all languages), congratulations! Your path ahead is simple. Head to the Merge Account page. (You may need to reenter your Wikivoyage or WMF passwords, or to ensure that the accounts have the same confirmed email address, but the merge should happen automatically and quickly.)
If you a) operate with a single username on the new Wikivoyage sites (for example, you don't have different usernames for the en.wikivoyage.org and de.wikivoyage.org), b) have no other WMF accounts, and c) your username is not taken by another WMF user, congratulations! Head to the Merge Account page.
If your new-Wikivoyage username doesn't match your WMF username or it already belongs to someone else, you'll need to change it. Use this search box to check for new potential usernames:
After you have picked a WMF username, request an account rename below, and a bureaucrat will rename it presently. After that happens, head to the Merge Account page.
If you have multiple, different usernames on different Wikivoyage sites, you need to settle on a single username. You can use any one of your names that does not conflict with an existing WMF account, or you can create a new WMF username. Once you have a single WMF identity, you will need to request merges for each wiki, specifying the correct username you are merging from, and the chosen name that you are merging to.
Once your old Wikivoyage username is merged into your new or existing WMF username, you will be able to login to Wikivoyage with your WMF username, and all of your Wikivoyage edits will be associated with your WMF identity. Links to your User and Talk pages throughout the site will need to be updated, or you can leave a redirect at your old username.
Request username mergeEdit
If you have multiple user names due to data imports (for example "User:(WT-en) MyUser" and "User:MyUser"), you can request that the usernames be merged. Merging user names will do the following:
- All contributions credited to an imported user account will be credited to your current user account (example: imported contributions for "(WT-en) MyUser" can be credited to "MyUser").
- The imported user pages will be moved to your current user pages. Note: this will overwrite any new user page (including the talk page) that you might have created. If you want to save any new user pages, make copies of them before requesting a migration.
- The old import user account ("(WT-en) MyUser") will be deleted.
To request a username merge:
- First, follow the steps above to merge any legacy Wikivoyage account and/or Wikimedia accounts to your current Wikivoyage account.
- Below, provide the name of the account to migrate from (example: "(WT-en) MyUser") and the account to migrate to (example: "MyUser"). Remember, you must provide the (WT-en) prefix in the old username if applicable or else your request may be ignored.
- The form below will create a section at the bottom of Wikivoyage talk:User account migration#Requests requesting your user name merge. You must update that request to provide evidence that both accounts belong to the same user. In this case "evidence" can be a link to a user page on the old site that points to your Wikimedia account, a link to an edit on the old site indicating the name of your Wikimedia account, or some other way to prove that the two accounts are owned by the same user. Without evidence that the two accounts are owned by the same user, no migration will be performed and your request will be ignored. You must prove that you are the owner of both accounts. Note that links and direct references to Wikivoyage are blocked on the old site.
- A user with bureaucrat privileges will either perform the merge or request additional information.