Remains have been found dating habitation back to neolithic times. As the town lies on the main Roman London to Colchester road it is not surprising that Roman remains have been found; specifically a Roman temple and a pottery kiln. The parish was listed in the Doomsday Book (1086) and in 1148 the manor was given to the Knights Templar.
In the 1960s & 1970s the town expanded rapidly, building 3 major housing estates.
Today the town caters mainly for residents, the area being regarded by some as a "dormitory town" for London. Good rail links mean that many from the area commute to work in London.
Witham is on the A12 about 1 hours drive north/east of London. Witham is located roughly in the centre of Essex with Chelmsford around 10 miles south, Colchester 10 miles north, Braintree 8 miles west and Maldon 8 miles east.
- Stephensons of Essex service 38/38A runs between Witham and Bocking and Halstead.
- Stephensons of Essex service 90 runs between Witham and Maldon
- Stephensons of Essex and Hedingham Buses service 91 (different operators at different times for same service) runs between Witham and Tollesbury
- First Buses services 71/71A/71X run between Colchester and Chelmsford via Witham.
- First Buses service 72 runs between Witham and Chelmsford.
Witham is a small town that'd take no more than 1½ hours to walk end to end. Most places are easily accessible by foot with a picturesque River Walk running bisecting the town from the Powers Hall/Rickstones border through to Maldon Road.
Bus services are provided by three minibuses circling around the various estates.
Taxi services are also common and widely available.
- 1 Kelvedon Hatch Secret Nuclear Bunker, Kelvedon Hall Lane, Kelvedon Hatch CM14 5TL (25 miles SW of Witham; access is from the A128 Chipping Ongar to Brentwood road at Kelvedon Hatch; if you have GPS then use CM15 0LA), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 1 Mar-31 Oct: daily 10AM-4PM; 1 Nov-end-Feb: Th-Su 10AM-4PM. A large underground bunker maintained during the cold war as a potential regional government headquarters. No credit card payment.Crown Buildings Adults £7.50; children (5-16) £5.50.
- 2 Coggeshall Grange Barn, Grange Hill, Coggeshall, Colchester, CO6 1RE (6½ miles NE of Witham), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Adult £7; child £3.50.
- 1 Braxted Park Cookery School (Cookery School), Braxted Park Estate, Great Braxted, Witham, CM8 3EN (4 miles E of Witham), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Braxted Park Cookery School hosts a diverse range of cookery courses to suit all abilities. All courses are taught by award-winning chefs, in a beautiful location in the Essex countryside.
- 2 [dead link] Whetmead Local Nature Reserve, Blackwater Lane, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. An old landfill site, west of Maldon Rd accessed via Blackwater Lane. Boarded by the River Brain and Blackwater and by the A12. Whetmead mainly consists of unimproved grassland and lagoons and despite its artificial nature; the reserve is a valuable wildlife habitat.
- 1 The Tea Rooms, 46 Newland St, Witham, ☏ .
- 2 Prezzo (Italian Restaurant & Take-away), 70 Newland St, Witham CM8 1AH, ☏ . Daily noon-11:30PM. Wi-Fi
- 3 The Battesford Court (Restaurant & Pub), 100-102 Newland St, Witham CM8 1AH, ☏ . M-Th 8AM-midnight, F Sa 8AM-1AM, Su 8AM-11PM.
- 4 Lian (Chinese Restaurant), 5 Newland St, Witham CM8 2AF, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Su noon-2:30PM & 5:30-10:30PM.
- 1 The George, 36 Newland St, Witham CM8 2AQ, ☏ .
- 2 The Battesford Court (Pub & Food), 100-102 Newland St, Witham CM8 1AH, ☏ . M-Th 8AM-midnight, F Sa 8AM-1AM, Su 8AM-11PM.
- 3 The Woolpack Inn, 7 Church St, Witham CM8 2JP, ☏ .
- 4 [dead link] The Little Elms (Pub & Food), Dorothy Sayers Drive, Witham CM8 2LX, ☏ . M-Th 11AM-11PM, F Sa 11AM-midnight, Su 11AM-11PM.
- 5 The Swan (Pub & Food), 153 Newland St, Witham CM8 1BE, ☏ .
- 6 [dead link] The Red Lion (Pub & Food), 7 Newland St, Witham CM8 2AF, ☏ . Bar: M-Th 11AM-11PM, F Sa 11AM-1AM, Su noon-10:30PM.
- 1 Post Office, 76 Newland St, Witham CM8 1AH.
Although Witham is not a particularly dangerous town, it is fairly gritty and largely working class. Tourists especially should take care if they decide to venture outside the town center. Walking around at night is not advised.
|Routes through Witham|
|London ← Chelmsford ←||SW NE||→ Colchester → Ipswich|