Witney is a thriving market town in Oxfordshire, just off the A40 Cheltenham to Oxford road. Like many towns in the Cotswolds, Witney is known historically for its textiles specifically woolen blankets.
Those familiar with the writings of A. A. Milne, in particular Winnie-the-Pooh, might remember the game of "Pooh Sticks" from the book. The game is played on a bridge over a river and competitors drop their sticks in the river (at the same time) and see whose stick emerges downstream first. Childish fun, but these days the town hosts the annual World Pooh Sticks Championship. Organised by the Rotary Club of Oxford Spires and raising funds for the Rotary Club of Oxford Spires Charitable Trust Funds, it is held over the River Windrush close to the centre of town. There are both team and individual competitions, though advanced registration is required.
The main buses to and from Oxford are the Stagecoach S1 and S2 from Carterton via Witney to Oxford.
S1 (Stagecoach): Carterton → Curbridge → Witney → Eynsham → Botley → Oxford
S2 (Stagecoach): Carterton → Curbridge → Witney → Eynsham → Summertown (Oxford)
Witney is on the route used by the Swanbrook 853 bus from Oxford to Gloucester. The Market Square bus stop is outside Blue Boar Inn to go towards Oxford and the other side of the road towards Gloucester.
The town railway station was closed in 1965 and has now been re-developed into an industrial estate.
- 1 Long Hanborough Railway Station, Station Road, off Main Road, Long Hanborough, OX29 8LA (6 miles NE of town). Probably the nearest railway station to the town but is a small station with limited services. Station operated and services run by Great Western Railway
- 2 Oxford Railway Station, Park End St, Oxford OX1 1HS. Larger and more mainline station with more frequent services. Station operated and services run by Great Western Railway.
- The town is on National Cycle Route (NCR) 57 that runs from near Northleach to the W to Welwyn Garden City in Hertfordshire. NCR 57 links to NCR 5 at Oxford, NCR 6 at Harpenden and NCR 12 at Welwyn Garden City.
- National Cycle Route (NCR) 442 passes 3½ miles NE of the town. NCR 442 runs 77 mi (124 km) between Oxford and Worcester. Incormation of riding the route can be found on cycle.travel.
Witney town centre is compact and can easily be covered on foot. Even the surrounding housing estates are no more than a brisk 15-minute walk from the town centre.
- 1 Holy Trinity Parish Church, Woodgreen, Witney, OX28 1DN, ☏ . Consecrated in 1849.
- 2 Town Hall, Market Square, Witney OX28 6AG.
- 3 Oxford Bus & Morris Motors Museum, Main Rd, Long Hanborough OX29 8LA, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. W (all year), Sa (Jun, Jul & Aug), Su (all year), Bank Holiday Mon 10:30AM-4:30PM.
- 4 Bishop's Palace, Mount House, Church Green, Witney OX28 4AZ, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-F 10AM-5PM. Wheelchair access is available. Free.
- 5 Witney Museum, Gloucester Court Mews, 75 High St, Witney OX28 6JA, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Apr-Oct only: W-Sa 10AM-4PM. Adult £2; Child free.
- 6 North Leigh Roman Villa, North Leigh, OX29 6PZ (4½ miles NE of town). Reasonable time during daylight hours. Free.
- 7 Witney Blanket Hall, 100 High St, OX28 6HL, ☏ , . M: Closed, Tu-Sa: 10AM-5PM, Su: 10AM-4PM. Historic centre of the woolen blanket industry as the building was the headquarters of the Witney Company of Blanket Weavers from 1721 to its demise in 1847. The hall has a café and shop selling woolen blankets.
- 8 Wychwood Brewery, Eagle Industrial Estate, The Crofts, OX28 4DP, ☏ . M-Sa: 10AM-5PM, Su: Closed. Guided tours £12 per person.
- 1 Witney Farmers Market, Market Place OX28 6AG, ☏ (mobile), ✉ email@example.com. 4th Friday of the month 8:30AM-1:30PM.
Witney's main shopping areas are the appropriately named Woolgate and Marriotts Walk which have many familiar chain stores:
- 2 The Woolgate Centre, Market Square, OX28 6AP, ☏ . M-F: 7:30AM-8PM, Sa: 7:30AM-7PM, Su: 10:30AM-4:30PM. A shopping centre with mostly chain-stores such as Waitrose, Waterstones, WHSmith, Mountain Warehouse, GAME and Holland & Barrett. However there are a few independent shops such as Michael Lyne jewellers and the Rapture entertainment store. Offers free parking.
- 3 Marriotts Walk, Woodford Way, Welch Way, OX28 6GW, ☏ . A shopping area with mostly clothing stores, a large M&S, a few restaurants and a Cineworld cinema.
Witney like most market towns, also has a handful of independent shops:
- 4 Church Green Books, 46 Market Square, OX28 6AL, ☏ . M-F: 10AM-4PM, Sa-Su: Closed. A small bookshop selling local and second-hand books.
There are also a large Sainsbury's supermarket in the area:
- 5 Sainsbury's (Superstore/Supermarket), Witan Way, Witney OX28 4FF, ☏ . M-F, Sa: 7AM-11PM; Su: 10AM-4PM. ATMs. Cafe (different hours). Pharmacy
- 1 The Oxfordshire Yeoman, 172 Wroslyn Rd, Freeland, ☏ .
- 2 [formerly dead link] The Plough (Restaurant & Pub), 98 High St, Witney OX28 6HL, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Pub: Tu-Th 5-11PM; F 5PM-midnight; Sa noon-midnight; Su noon-6PM. Food: Tu-F 6-10PM; Sa noon-3PM & 6-10PM; Su noon-4PM.
- 3 The Hollybush (Pub Food), 35 Corn St, Witney, OX28 6BT, ☏ . Su-Th 11AM-midnight; F Sa 11AM-1AM.
- 4 [dead link] Sixteen (Restaurant & Café), 16 High St, Witney OX28 6HB, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Th 9AM-10PM; F-Sa 9AM-11PM; Su 9AM-4PM.
- 5 Frankie & Bennys (Italian Restaurant), Unit R1 Marriotts Close, Witney, OX28 6GW, ☏ . M-Sa 9AM-11PM; Su 9AM-10:30PM.
Witney is home to the Wychwood Brewery, and many of the beers which it produces are available around the town. Priced around £2-3 per pint or bottle.
- 1 [formerly dead link] The Windrush Inn (Pub & Food), Burford Rd, Witney OX28 6DJ, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2 [dead link] The Three Pigeons (Pub & Food), 31 Woodgreen, Witney OX28 1DG, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Pub: M-Th 11AM-2:30PM & 6-11PM; F Sa 11AM-2:30PM & 6PM-midnight; Su noon-11PM. Food: M-Tu noon-2PM & 6-8PM. W-Sa noon-2PM & 6-9PM.
- 3 The Company of Weavers, 31 Market Square, Witney OX28 6AD, ☏ . M-W 8AM-midnight; Th-Sa 8AM-1AM; Su 8AM-midnight. The town's JD Wetherspoon pub.
- 4 The Fleece (Restaurant, Pub & Accommodation), 11 Church Green, Witney OX28 4AZ, ☏ . M-F 8AM-11PM; Sa 8AM-midnight; Su 8AM-11PM.
- 5 The Horseshoes (Pub & Food), 78 Corn St, Witney OX28 6BS, ☏ . M-Th 11AM-midnight; F-Sa 11AM-1AM; Su noon-midnight.
- Blue Boar, 28 Market Square OX28 6BH, ☏ . Pub with great food in town centre, also has rooms, B&B double £90.
Witney has a few hotels including a Premier Inn. The Marlborough overlooks the Market Square in the town centre. The Witney Hotel and the Fleece Hotel, a great gastro pub can be found nearby on the beautiful Church Green.
- 1 Oxford Witney Hotel, Ducklington Lane, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. This 87-room hotel of the Four Pillars chain is on the outskirts of town, just off the A40/A415 roundabout. It offers modern 4 star rooms and a good on-site spa and pool. £90-185.
- 2 The Old Coutyard Hotel (Hotel, Restaurant & Bar), 39/43 Bridge St, Witney OX28 1DA, ☏ .
- 3 The Beeches (B&B), 6 Puck Lane, Witney OX28 6LD, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 4-6PM, check-out: by 11AM. No children under 10 or pets. King or twin room £90 (discounts for longer stays).
- 4 The Laurels (B&B), 53 Burford Rd, Witney OX28 6DR, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Single £40; Double/twin £55.
- 5 Crofters (Guesthouse), 29 Oxford Hill, Witney OX28 3JU, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 4-6PM.
- 6 Artist Residence, Station Rd, South Leigh OX29 6XN, ☏ . Remarkable quirky small hotel in the countryside 3 miles from Witney, scores highly for decor, service and dining. B&B double £150.
- 2 Post Office, Unit 20 Woolgate Shopping Centre, Market Square, Witney OX28 6AP. M-Sa 9AM-5:30PM; Su 10AM-2PM.
|Routes through Witney|
|Cheltenham ← Burford ←||W E||→ Eynsham → Oxford|
|Banbury ← Charlbury ← merges with ←||N SE||→ merges with|