Wittenberg is a town in Saxony-Anhalt, Germany. The official name is Lutherstadt Wittenberg for its close connection of the town with Martin Luther's Protestant Reformation. It was here that in 1517, according to the legend, Martin Luther posted his famous 95 Theses on the portal of the Schlosskirche. While historians doubt this particular part of the tale, it is certain that Luther disseminated his Theses from Wittenberg. In 2017 the town celebrated the 500th anniversary of the event. Luther Memorials in Wittenberg are part of a UNESCO World Heritage site. Other historical people with a close connection to Wittenberg are Luther's fellow reformer, Philipp Melanchthon, and the painter Lucas Cranach der Ältere.
No matter which transport you use, the two closest hubs are Berlin and Leipzig/Halle. If you aren't in the vicinity yet, you will likely pass through one of them.
The A9/E51 motorway passes west of Wittenberg. Use one of the exits Klein Marzehns, Köselitz, or Coswig (Anhalt). The town lies at the crossing of the main roads B2 and B187.
Hourly ICE trains on the Leipzig-Berlin line stop in Wittenberg in both directions. The ride takes 40 minutes from Leipzig Hbf or 45 from Berlin Hbf. As a slower but cheaper option you can also use RE trains, which also run about hourly. The ride takes 1 hr 15 min from Berlin, 1 hr 5 min from Leipzig, or 1 hour from Halle.
Vetter Bus operates five bus lines in Wittenberg.
Most of the Altstadt (Old City) is pedestrian only. All the major historical sites are within easy walking distance.
- 1 [formerly dead link] Luther's Home at the Black Cloister, Collegienstraße 54, ☏ . Apr-Oct: daily 09:00-18:00; Nov-Mar: Tu-Su 10:00-17:00. The largest museum of the Protestant Reformation worldwide. Where else would you expect to find it? Admission: €5 (reduced ticket €3).
- 2 [formerly dead link] Melanchthon House, Collegienstraße 60. Apr-Oct: daily 09:00-18:00; Nov-Mar: Tu-Su 10:00-17:00. Renaissance building where Phillip Melanchton lived and worked. Admission €4.
- Cranach Houses and Courtyards, Markt 4 and Schlossstraße 1. The painter Lucas Cranach the elder lived here, and ran a print shop. Adult €5, reduced €4.
- 3 Corpus Christi Chapel (next to the town Church). Tiny chapel built in 1368, rebuilt in 1456.
- Museum für Stadtgeschichte, Schlossplatz 1d, ☏ . Tu–Su 09:00-17:00. Historical museum of the town.
- 4 Haus der Geschichte, Schlossstraße 6. M–F 10:00-18:00; Sa Su and holidays 11:00-18:00. This museum documents the life as it was during the socialist years after WW II until the 1980s.
- Piesteritzer Werkssiedlung, Karl-Liebknecht-Platz 20. A working class housing project of 1916, restored to its original state in 2000. The biggest car-free neighbourhood in Germany.
- 5 Rathaus, Markt. Tu–Su 10:00-17:00. City hall built in 1535, rebuilt almost completely in 1926-28. Changing exhibitions. Memorials with statues of Martin Luther and Philip Melanchthon in the town square.
- 6 Schlosskirche (Castle Church), Schlossplatz. Where Luther allegedly posted his 95 Theses. Martin Luther and his fellow reformer, Philipp Melanchthon are buried inside. Admission free, €3 for a guided tour, €2 for the tower.
- 7 University Leucorea, Collegienstraße 62. Historic university, opened in 1502, closed in 1817. Today used as a congress center for scientists.
- 8 Stadtkirche St. Marien (Town Church), Jüdenstraße 36. The oldest building in the town, with an altar painted by Lucas Cranach.
- Organ-at-Three, Schlosskirche. May - Oct: Tu at 15:00. Organ music played on the historic Ladegast Organ of the Schlosskirche. Admission free; donations welcome.
- Guided tours, Schlossplatz 2 (starting point: tourist information opposite of Schlosskirche). Daily 14:00 (duration 2 hours). May be cancelled if less than 10 participants show up. Adults €8, children €5.
- Kartoffelhaus Zum Schwarzen Bär, Schloßstraße 2, ☏ .
- Athos Griechisches Restaurant, Am Alten Bahnhof 1, ☏ .
- Il Castello, Schloßstraße 3, ☏ .
- 1 [dead link] Tante Emma's Bier & Café Haus, Markt 9, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M 09:00-17:00, Tu-Su 09:00-24:00.
- [dead link] Restaurant von Bora, Collegienstraße 54a, 06886 Lutherstadt, ☏ . Mon: Closed, Tu+Sue: 11:00-18:00, Wed-Sat: 11:00-23:00. Modern German cuisine with mediterranean influences
- Brauhaus Wittenberg, Markt 6, ☏ .
- Charles Bar, Markt 7, 06886, ☏ .
- Marina-Camp-Elbe, Brückenkopf 1, ☏ .
- DJH Jugendherberge Lutherstadt Wittenberg, Schlossstraße 14-15 (Next to Schlosskirche. Take bus 300 or 304 from main station to Schlossplatz), ☏ . Check-in: 15:00. Youth hostel inside the castle. €18 + €3.50 for bedclothes (in a shared dorm room).
- Stadthotel Schwarzer Bär, Schloßstraße 2, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- Brauhaus Wittenberg, Wallstraße 7, ☏ .
- Luther-Hotel, Neustraße 7-10, 06886 Lutherstadt, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 10:00. 159 guest rooms (141 double rooms, 11 single rooms, 6 family rooms and 1 suite)
- Berlin and Potsdam, about 100 km northeast
- Dessau, 35 km west
- Dessau-Wörlitzer Gartenreich (Garden Kingdom of Dessau-Wörlitz), an English park landscape
- Eisleben, 100 km southwest. The city where Luther was born and died and the other half of the Luther World Heritage Site.
- Halle, about 90 km southwest
- Leipzig, about 70 km south
- Magdeburg, about 90 km west
- Torgau, 50 km southeast (one hour by train), another place closely linked with Martin Luther and the Reformation
|Routes through Wittenberg|
|Berlin ←||Hamburg Munich||→ Leipzig|
|Berlin ←||Berlin Erfurt||→ Halle → Erfurt|