Woodbury is the county seat of Gloucester County in Southern New Jersey. It has a blend of Victorian homes, natural parks, beautiful waterways and recreational facilities that makes this city one of Southern New Jersey's hidden gems.
The City of Woodbury, one of the oldest "small cities" in the United States, had its beginning in 1683 when Henry Wood, a Quaker from Bury, England, settled here.
By 1715 Woodbury had become a Quaker religious center and was a thriving hamlet at the onset of the American Revolution. Given its close proximity to Philadelphia, Woodbury had a significant place in the history of the nation’s birth.
The Red Bank Battlefield, where Fort Mercer is located and where, in 1777, 600 determined Americans defeated a Hessian force of 6000, lies 2 miles (3.2 km) west of Woodbury.
The famous British General Lord Cornwallis, who would later surrender to George Washington at Yorktown, had his headquarters in Woodbury during his advance to capture the City of Philadelphia in 1777.
By the mid-nineteenth century Woodbury had grown considerably and was incorporated as a city in 1854. Woodbury enjoyed its greatest economic and population growth between 1880 and 1900. This was accomplished in large part as a result of the Green family and their patent medicine industry.
Woodbury has been the county seat of Gloucester for over two centuries. The county continues to develop its operational base throughout Woodbury. This fact, along with the growth of Underwood Memorial Hospital, has made Woodbury the legal and medical hub of the immediate vicinity.
- 1Philadelphia International Airport (PHL IATA), contactPHL@phl.org. A major international airport 15.6 miles (25.1 km) west of Woodbury.
- 2 Atlantic City International Airport (ACY IATA), ☏ +1 609 645-7895. A smaller airport than Philadelphia International, 45.6 miles (73.4 km) east of Woodbury.
Buses run from the major cities into Woodbury with bus stops throughout town.
Woodbury is on NJ-45, south of I-295 exit 25A (southbound only).
Mostly everything in Woodbury is accessible by walking.
New Jersey Transit has bus stops in Woodbury.
There are parking lots throughout the city.
- World War II Memorial, corner of Cooper Street and Evergreen Avenue (Hendrickson Park).
- West End Veterans Memorial, intersection of Glover Street and Salem Avenue (Thomas Park).
- Korean and Vietnam Conflicts Veterans Memorial, East Barber Avenue (Rotary Park).
- Veterans Plaza, South Broad Street (next to the Goodwill Store).
- World War I Dough Boy Monument, North Broad Street (next to County Court House).
- People of Peace Memorial, Hunter Street (Gloucester County Justice Complex).
- Presbyterian Cemetery, North Broad Street (next to Woodbury ARC). historic graves
- Fountain of Life Memorial, North Broad Street (Police Station).
- American Legion Post 133, Washington Avenue.
- PFC George Benjamin, Jr. Congressional Medal of Honor Memorial (Woodbury Creek Park).
Historical buildings and sitesEdit
- Chew House, 436 E Barber Ave. The oldest part of this house is the story-and-a-half section at the west with a dormer window breaking the gabled roof line. It was built before 1800 with two rooms, one behind the other, each with a corner fireplace using a common chimney. The interesting wall construction indicates this was built as a log dwelling built with two-by-twelve inch hand-hewn logs of swamp cedar. (Private)
- Deptford Free School Building, 33 Delaware St. The Quakers erected this building in 1774 as a one-story school. By 1820 a second story had been added. It is now the eastern-most section of City Hall.
- The Franklin House, 44 N Broad St. This one-time log cabin is the oldest house in Woodbury. Ca. 1765, it was owned by Joseph Low. The exterior logs remain intact, but have long since been covered with weather boards. The front door is original as are the exposed beams. One original fireplace still displays the square handmade bricks. (Private)
- The General French House, 136 S Broad St. Built ca. 1766, this house gained fame during the Civil War because it was owned by a General in the Confederate Army. General Samuel Gibbs French, though born in Mullica Hill, chose to fight on the side of the Confederacy. (Private)
- 1 Gloucester County Historical Society (Hunter-Lawrence House), 58 N Broad St, ☏ +1 856-848-8531, email@example.com. Tu 6-9pm W-F, noon-4PM, 3rd weekend noon-4PM. Judge John Sparks built the Hunter-Lawrence house in 1765. The Reverend Andrew Hunter, a chaplain in the Revolutionary Army, owned it in 1792, and six years later it became the home of John Lawrence. Lawrence's younger brother, James, lived in the house and received his education in Woodbury. In 1813 James was fatally wounded on the deck of his ship. His dying words, "Don't give up the ship", have since become the watchword of the U.S. Navy. In 1924 the Gloucester County Historical Society purchased the building and has maintained it as an 18-room museum ever since. $5/adult, $1/child 6+.
- Low-Cowan House (On the southwest corner of Delaware and Horace Streets). This brick farmhouse was erected ca. 1770. It has since undergone some architectural changes inside, but the chimneys and gables and brick exterior bear proof of its age. (Private)
- The Myrtle Grove House, 138 Delaware St. This house was built ca. 1803. The rooms are small and low-ceilinged. One fireplace an the northwest wall remains, as do original panes of glass in many of the windows. It has been owned by members of the Twells and Whitall families. (Private)
- The Parish-Moore House, 127 N Broad St. Built in the early 19th century, this fine brick home has a symmetrical Georgian five-bay facade. The fireplaces in the front of the house are typical of the simple Georgian mantle designs of the Delaware Valley region in the late 18th century. (Private)
- The Pillar-Barracks House, 46-48 E Barber Ave. The earliest reference on record of the Pillar, or "Barracks" house is dated 1806, but the east section is believed to be much older. The west section of the house was added in the early 1800s and a pillared portico was added to conceal the difference of the roof lines. (Private)
- Presbyterian Church at Woodbury, Corner of South Broad Street and West Centre Street. Founded in 1721, this congregation built the present red brick Church in 1834. The original log structure, located in the Presbyterian Burial Ground on North Broad Street, Woodbury, was used until the Revolutionary War. In November 1777, it was occupied by British troops and afterward thought to be haunted. It fell into decay and a new church was erected a mile south, in the center of Woodbury, in 1834.
- Red Bank Battlefield (On Delaware River northwest of Woodbury and near the junction of US-295, US-130, and NJ-44). The Pennsylvania Council of Safety (Revolutionary War) erected Fort Mercer here to guard the river approach to Philadelphia from the British. The Hessians under Count von Donop attacked in 1777, but were defeated.
- Seven Stars Tavern, Southwest corner of State Highway 45, West Street (2nd house from corner). This old building has been turned into apartments. It should not be confused with the Seven Stars Tavern in Salem County. (Private)
- Tatum-Griscom House, Rugby Place (east section of Woodbury). This old brick home was built in 1745. For many years during the 19th century it was occupied by David Griscom, one of Gloucester County's first nurserymen. Many of the trees, shrubs and rare bushes in this section of the city can trace their beginnings from Griscom's plantings. (Private)
- Wilkin's Inn or Paul Hotel, 111 North Broad St. Known in 1975 as the Bull's Head Inn. Tradition claims Wilkin's Inn was built with brick left over from erection of Friends' Meeting House. Earliest records of the inn are dated 1737. It is the oldest inn in Gloucester County that has been in continual operation. (Private)
- Woodbury Friends Meeting House, N Broad St. In 1686, the "Red Bank Meetings" were held on the Wood estate along Woodbury Creek near the Delaware. The present site was purchased for about three pounds in 1715. The west side was erected 1715, the east side in 1785. During the battle of Red Bank in 1777, the building was used as a hospital by the Hessians.
Parks & featuresEdit
- Bell Lake Park, South Girard St and Myrtle Ave. This park provides a nice setting for passive recreation such as fishing, picnicking, reading, sunbathing or simply relaxing. This park is also an ideal setting for outdoor weddings or photographs after a wedding as the park offers a lake with a fountain and footbridges.
- Woodbury Creek Park, At the foot of Wood St. This park is ideal for such activities as canoeing, fishing and hiking along the Woodbury Creek. This park also has a footbridge that connects it to Cap Paine Park.
- Cap Paine Park, Frances Ave. This park is home to the Woodbury Little League and the Woodbury High School Varsity Baseball and Softball Teams. This park features the following amenities; five little league fields, one t-ball field, a picnic pavilion, and a tot lot for children between the ages of two and five.
- Broad St. Lake, N Broad St (Adjacent to the Woodbury Police Statio). For fishing and remote-control boating.
- Green St. Playground, Green St and Dare St. This park offers a small playground for children between the ages of two and five.
- Evergreen Ave. Lake (North Evergreen behind Evergreen Square Shopping Center). This park is part of the Woodbury Lake System and offers fishing.
- David A. Laverty Sr. Sports Complex-Stewart Park, E Red Bank Ave (adjacent to the YMCA). There is a boat ramp that provides access to Cooper St. Lake, Evergreen Ave. lake, Hunter St. Lake and Broad St. Lake. A playground, baseball field, combination football/soccer field, skateboarding area, nature trail, and a picnic area.
- Cooper St Lake-Stewart Park, Cooper St at the City line. Fishing, scenic walks along the lake, and observing wildlife.
- Hendrickson Park, S Evergreen Ave and Cooper St. This park is home to the city’s World War II memorial and the police memorial. This park also features a small arboretum.
- Deptford Mall (Deptford Township).
- Asian Village (Evergreen Plaza). Chinese restaurant.
- Caterers Corner Deli, 303 West Centre Street.
- Charlie Brown’s Grill, 111 North Broad Street.
- Country Sweets, 31 South Broad Street.
- 1 Gia Nina's Pizzeria, 312 S Evergreen Ave, ☏ +1 856-845-6500, firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Th 11AM-8PM, F Sa 11AM-9PM. A family-owned Italian restaurant.
- Woodbury Variety & Deli, 154 South Broad Street.
- Colonia Cafe, 1 Colonial Ave, West Deptford.
- Eight & Sand Bar, 1003 N Evergreen Ave.
- Hollywood Cafe and Sports Bar, Route 45 and Elm Ave.
- Charlie Brown's, 111 N Broad St.
- Southwood Bar, 859 Mantua Pike.
- Westwood Bar, 850 Kings Hwy.
- 1 Courtyard by Marriott Deptford, 1251 Hurffville Rd, Deptford, ☏ +1 856-232-1500. Check-in: 4PM, check-out: 11AM.
- 2 Howard Johnson by Wyndham Deptford, 832 N Black Horse Pike, Blackwood, ☏ +1-856-718-9126. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- Atlantic City, 54.2 miles (87.2 km) east
- Jersey Shore with three major beaches: Cape May, Ocean City, and Wildwood 57 miles (92 km) east
- Philadelphia, 13 miles (21 km) west
- New York City, 100 miles (160 km) north
- Washington, D.C., 132.3 miles (212.9 km) south