prefecture-level city in Tibet Autonomous Region, China
Xigatse prefecture (日喀则地区; Rìkāzé Dìqū) is in Central Tibet. It has numerous places of interest for tourists, and has good public transportation by Tibetan standards.
Cities, Towns and VillagesEdit
- 1 Xigatse - the capital, and the only real city in the prefecture.
- 2 Gyantse - the fourth largest city in Tibet. Home to a famous stupa.
- 3 Dram - town located at Nepal border
- Lhatse - a minor town with little tourist interest, but important as a transportation hub as it is final destination for all public transportation in the direction of Mount Kailash and Nepal. There are a few guest houses and several shops.
- 4 Nyalam - site of 'Milarepa's cave'.
- 5 Sakya - a large village with an important old monastery.
- 6 Shelkar - launching point for the landrover trip to Qomolangma National Nature Reserve.
- 7 Tingri - the closest town on the "highway" to Nepal and Mount Everest. It offers a wide, but simple choice of accommodation and is a good place to view Mount Everest. With camping equipment, it's also possible to trek to Everest back camp - a journey of about four days.
- Nyalam Pelgyeling Monastery, 10 km north of the village of Nyalam. A monastery built around a cave where the enlightened yogi Milarepa (1040-1123) and his disciple Rechungpa spent many years in meditation.