Zhengding is a rural outerlying county of Shijizhuang, about 15km north. Before the rise of Shijiazhuang in the 20th century as a regional administrative and transportation center, Zhengding was the key administrative center of south Hebei. An interesting walled ancient town remains with a large number of historical sites and tourist attractions.Unlike other ancient towns, such as Pingyao, the town is largely modernised.
Zhending Ancient Town (正定)Edit
- 1 City Walls. Ancient city walls that surround the town, can be accessed from near the southern gate that buses from Shijiazhuang pass through.
- 2 Guanghui Temple (广惠寺华塔). In 1961, by the State Council as a national key cultural relics protection units. Tower is composed of a main tower and subsidiary turrets, all brick. The main tower bottom four corners of the building a fan hexagonal pavilion shaped turret, turret around the main tower, scattered high and low, primary and secondary dependencies, exquisite gorgeous elegant, spectacular.
- 3 Kaiyuan Temple (正定开元寺). Temple complex in Zhengding.
- 4 Longxing Temple (隆兴寺). Built in the Tang dynasty, features a huge 22 m high bronze Buddha statue donated by the Song emperor in the 11th century.
- 5 Linji Joss House (临济寺). Temple with ancient pagoda.
- 6 Peak Tower (凌霄塔). Tang dynasty pagoda in Zhengding.
- 7 Red Mansions TV Set. A faux-ancient film set for a famous TV portrayal of Chinese novel Dream of the Red Chamber. A popular site with many visitors; the TV program was very popular on release and many come to walk around a fantasy version of the main home from the novel. There is some information on the book and explanation of its popularity, but very little in English.