- Järpen, the municipal centre
- Storlien at the Norwegian border
- Duved, a less crowded ski resort
SJ runs daily trains from Stockholm as well as seasonal night trains during the summer months and on some major winter holidays. Additionally, Snälltåget runs night trains from Malmö via Stockholm during winter. From Trondheim in Norway, a quick change of trains in Storlien is required. 1 Station Åre is centrally located and includes an shopping galleria.
This is the nearest airport. There are domestic flights operating daily from Stockholm to Åre Östersund Airport (SAS ), direct bus from the airport to Åre costs about €25 one way. In skiing season EasyJet flies directly from London. There are also charter flights from London , Moscow, Helsinki  and Copenhagen .
In the skiing season (December 15th – May 1st) there is a Flygtaxi airport transfer four times a day. 400 kr for one adult one way.
At the airport you take the local train to Hell (takes about 2 minutes). Or walk 1½ kilometer (1 mile). In Hell you take the train "Mittnabotåget" direct to Åre Railwaystation, it is worth checking the time of departure from Hell as the train only runs twice a day (in both directions). Generally there is a morning train at around 09:00 and an evening train at around 17:00. Avoid arriving at Hell station too far in advance as it is far less comfortable than waiting a few hours in a cafe at Vaernes airport!
If possible, pre-book your train tickets  (from station "Værnes" to station "Åre"). The ticket price is 145 kr one way although there are discounts for students.
You can charter a helicopter to pick you up at Værnes Airport in Trondheim, Norway (40 min) or at Åre-Östersund Airport on Frösön (22 minutes). The largest operator in Östersund is Jämtlands Flyg  which has helicopters for 3-6 passengers.
Åre is easily accessable by car. Beware though, that most of the Scandinavian Peninsula will be ice and/or snow covered in the winter season, except for the southernmost Scania province. Snow tires are mandatory in winter.
- From Stockholm (approximately 612 km or 7 1/4 drive): Fastest and shortest is: Road E4–83 (to Ljusdal)–84–296–E45–321–E14
- E4–E14 over Sundsvall is almost as fast and easier to find, but longer (approximately 654 km or 7½ hours drive).
- From Malmö (approximately 1,087 km or 13 hours drive): E6–E4 (to Jönköping)–26 (to Mora)–E45–321–E14
- From Oslo (approximately 678 km or eight hours drive): E6–3–E6 (over Trondheim)–E14
The Skibus goes every hour and connects the 4 villages Duved, Tegefjäll, Åre village and Björnen. The bus is free if you have a Ski pass, 20 SEK when the lifts are closed.
- The view from the top of the mountain
- 1 Tännforsen. In the winter, a deep-frozen waterfall
The ski area is on the Åreskutan mountain with its highest peak at a height of 1420 meters, but the highest lift ends at 1260 meters, so the peak has to be reached by a snowmobile lift. The village and ski area are accessible by bus and train.
Åre is probably most famous for the skiing, and the Åre ski area contains three different areas. These are:
- 1 Björnen — Family friendly and laid back. Featuring long blue slopes and a big children's area.
- 2 Central Åre and Högzon (High zone) (Also including Rödkullen) — The biggest area, where also most of the people are which sometimes means there are long queues to the lifts.Best before lunch, when the pistes are in their prime condition and many people have not gotten out of their cabins yet.
- 3 Duved-Tegefjäll — Some of the best slopes in the entire system. Long, perfect slopes and not many people. The 6-chair express lift takes you to the top in no-time. For an easy and fun off-piste experience, take the 6-chair lift to the top, go straight right and down the ravine, a fun and fairly easy off-piste run which features an naturally shaped halfpipe.
There is one skipass for all the four different systems; however, a separate skipass can be bought for those who only wish to ski in Duved-Tegefjäll at a cheaper price. Pistemap
- 1 Zipline, Åre Strand 8, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Åre has the largest Zipline park in Europe.
- 2 Åre Chocolate Factory (Åre Chokladfabrik), Björnänge 801, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. Visit Åre Chokladfabrik and watch as they make chocolate
- There are many other extreme sports which you can indulge in Åre, for example kite-flying, ski-doo safaris, horse-riding, ice-climbing etc.
Åre is full of small shops that offer locally made handicraft and various sovenirs.
- 1 Hanson Sport (Åre torg). Ski and snowboarding equipment and clothing.
- 2 Mountain Recycle, Årevägen 70. Don't miss Mountain Recycle which is a store that resells used ski and snowboarding equipment at great prices.
- 3 Peak Performance General Store, Årevägen 91 (Åre Torg). Don't miss the stores of local clothing manufacturer's Extreme and Peak Performance
- 4 Stadium, Årevägen 78 (Åre Torg). Swedish sports retailer Stadium also has a shop which offers slightly cheaper equipment as well as high-end brands.
- 5 Åre Skidsport, Årevägen 88 (Åre torg). Ski and snowboarding equipment and clothing.
Eating out in Åre can be a real experience as several high-end restaurants have established themselves close to the slopes. There are plenty of more casual places too but expect prices to be higher than average.
- 1 Bombom, Årevägen 78, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Open daily from 18:00. Serving up innovative cuisine with local ingredients. The street level is ocuipied by a hip bar, restaurant is upstairs. Mains 105-330 kr.
- 2 Broken, Torggränd 4 (just above the plaza close to Bergbanan), ☎ . Offers great burgers and other American diner dishes and a great atmosphere.
- 3 Buustamons Fjällgård, Buustamon 142 (In the ski system), ☎ . Excellent food and environment. Good hamburgers.
- 4 Fjällpuben, Årevägen 72B, ☎ . One of the best kitchens in Åre, serves local dishes. Situated behind the Etreem Store and Handelsbanken.
- 5 Max, Årevägen 108H. Pricy fast food with good burgers.
- 6 Wersens, Årevägen 95 (Åre torg), ☎ . Pizza and a la carte.
- 7 Villa Tottebo, Parkvägen 1 (100 meters from the square "Åre Torg"), ☎ . Well renowned restaurant in an old hunting villa.
Outside Åre town
- 8 Fäviken Magasinet, Fäviken 216, Järpen, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. 20 km into the wilderness from Åre you'll find Fäviken Magasinet, one of the world's top restaurants (Michelin star), managed by chef Magnus Nilsson. Renowned for its use of local produce and adaption to the varying seasons, it's an destination in itself. From 1250 kr per person.
Åre is the party hub of Sweden during the winter, and there is party 24/7, if not in one of the bars or clubs then in a cabin not far away. Many bars and restaurants are scattered around Åre Torg.
Popular spots are among others:
There is lots of accommodation in Åre—hotels, apartments, cabins and campings. They are heavily booked during peak season, so book in advance.
Visit Åre have a lots of lodging and accommodation available on their website.
- 1 Holiday Club Spa hotel & Resort, Årestrand, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2 Hotell Fjällgården, Fjällgårdsvägen 35, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- 3 Tott Hotel, Tottvägen 111, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are 40 lifts and 100 slopes in the skiarea.
- Green: 11
- Blue: 42
- Red: 40
- Black: 7
- Night skiing: 7 slopes
- Longest slope: 6500 meters
- Total length of pistes: 95000 meters
- Lifts: 40
- Chairlifts: 5
- Reversible Ropeways: 1
- Gondolas: 1
- Funiculars: 1
- Surface lifts: 32
- Liftcapacity: 48000 persons/hour
- Mountain high: 1420
- Mountain low: 372
- Vertical drop: 890
If you are watching the broadcasts from the World Cup competitions in Åre you probably think the races is running in daylight when in fact the sun had already set. This is due to the superb floodlight system covering two of the best pistes in Åre, Gästrappet and Lundsrappet (serviced by the skilift "VM8"). The visibility is actually better in the floodlight than in natural daylight. There is also night skiing on other pistes as well, but the most brilliant is found at Gästrappet and Lundsrappet.
4 lifts are open in the summer as well. You can take the cabel car up to the peak and enjoy the beautiful view! Or why not eat at the highest located restaurant in Sweden: Stormköket.
- Zipeline, ☎ .
Åre has the largest zipline park in Europe. The longest ride takes you on a 400 meter adrenaline kick above Åre's wild nature. A must for everyone who loves extreme excitement and beautiful nature. Everybody can zipline since the speed can be adjusted to age and skill.