Ústí nad Labem is the second largest city in North Bohemia and main city of Ústí nad Labem Region. This industrial city may not be one of the prettiest cities in the Czech Republic, but it is a good starting point for hiking and trips in attractive countryside.
Ústí nad Labem is situated along the banks of the Elbe, just 20 kilometers from the Czech-German border. In fact the "nad Labem" part of its name is Czech for "on the Elbe". The "Usti" means the river mouth. Its former German name Aussig is still sometimes used by Germans but may not necessarily be understood by Czechs. With a population of more than 90,000, Ústí nad Labem is the seventh most populous city in the Czech Republic.
This may be the best and fastest option, depending on which type of train you take. It takes between 1h10min and 2h from Prague main train station to Usti nad Labem. The Dresden-Prague Eurocity also stops in Usti nad Labem as well as the Eurocity train between Hamburg, Berlin and Budapest. It is also possible with the overnight Metropol train from Budapest via Vienna. The main station, 1 Ústí nad Labem hlavní nádraží is located on U Nádraží. For day trips from/to Dresden the Elbe Labe Ticket can be a good option, especially when traveling in a small group.
From Florenc bus station in Prague, it takes 1h15min. by bus.
the road connection between Prague and Usti nad Labem is mostly highway (D8 connecting Prague with Saxony) and it takes approximately 1h.
18 bus and 13 trolleybus lines can get you almost anywhere in the city.
- 1 Střekov Castle, Na Zacházce 844 400 03 (4 km wlaking form main railway station or take a bus 17 or 27 to "Pod Hradem" station.), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. This castle ruin is an icon of Usti nad Labem. 75Kč (adults), 55Kč (children 6-15 years, students, pensioners), children under 6 years 1Kč.
- 2 Usti nad Labem Zoo, Drážďanská 454/23 (by bus cca 2km form the city centre), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 9:00-18:00 (1 April to 31 October), 9:00-16:00 (1 November to 31 March). More than 200 species on animals including orangutan, rhinoceros and leopard. 120Kč (adults), 60Kč (children, students, pensioners).
- 3 Mariansky Bridge. Unusual modern bridge over the Elbe from the 1990s
- 4 Chateau Velké Březno, 403 23 Velké Březno (10 km from Usti nad Labem centre, you can go by bus (number 13) or train), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 10:00-18:00 (May-September). 90Kč, 60Kč (children).
- 5 Kostel Nanebevzetí Panny Marie. Neo-gothic church on main square in Usti nad Labem
- Labe Department Store (OD Labe), Revoluční 2732/9, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Department store with more than 100 shops
- FORUM Usti nad Labem Department Store, Bílinská 3490/6 (3 minutes walking from Usti nad Labem main railway station), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 9:00-21:00. Biggest department store in Usti nad Labem with cinema.
- Na Rychte, ✉ email@example.com. 10:30 – 24:00 (Monday-Saturday) 11:00-22:00 (Sunday). Small brewery, restaurant and hotel. Excursion to the brewery possible.
- Taj Mahal, Hradiště 96 (It's nearby main railway station), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 11:00–23:00. Indian restaurant.
- Pivovarská šenkovna, Velká Hradební 235/20 (Few hundred meters from main square and main railway station.), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 10:00-23:00 (Monday-Thursday), 10:00-24:00 (Friday) 11:00-24:00 (Saturday) 15:00-22:00 (Sunday). Old restaurant, existing since 1884, traditional Czech cuisine. soups 29Kč, main courses 85-120Kč.
- 1 Clarion Congress Hotel Usti nad Labem, Špitálské náměstí 3517, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2 Interhotel Bohemia, Mírové náměstí 2442/6 (Right on the main square in the city centre), ☏ .
- 3 Penzion Komtesa, Velka Hradebni 763/39 (cca 159 m from the main city square (Mírové namesti)), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Pension with wifi and TV.
- 4 Větruše Chateau, Fibichova 392, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. They also have a restaurant.
The area surrounding Usti nad Labem is good for hiking. Landscape is beautiful, with sandstone rock formations, Elbe river, mountains of volcanic origin, forests, hills and fields.
- Central Bohemian Uplands (České Středohoří) - beautiful landscape with mountains of volcanic origin
- Bohemian Switzerland National Park (České Švýcarsko) - sandstone rock formations, including the largest natural sandstone arch in Europe.
- Elbe Sandstone Mountains (Labské pískovce) - another sandstone rock formations
- Teplice spas
- Děčín - big city and chateau
- Litoměřice - small historic town in beautiful landscape