Litoměřice is a historic city in North Bohemia with a population of 25,000 people. It is a nice change, compared to the bigger industrial cities in North Bohemia.
One of the oldest Czech towns located in fertile area on Elbe river. Royal-town status was granted in early 13th century. It was one of the main cities in Kingdom of Bohemia in the Middle Ages. It is still seat of Litoměřice Catholic Diocese and one of the seven Czech cathedrals is there. Litoměřice is surrounded by the Central Bohemian Uplands; Terezin concentration camp is just a few kilometers from the town.
It takes 50 min. from Prague to Litomerice. Most of the 70 km road is covered by highway - D8. Direct bus is departs from Prague - Nadrazi Holesovice (Metro C line) to Litomerice bus station in centre of the town. It takes 1h10min. Train connection isn't direct and is slower.
From regional capital Ústí nad Labem, it takes 25 min. with train and is the fastest option. By car it takes 33 min. (30 km).
Litoměřice is served by two bus lines, line B and line D. To reach destinations in area around (like Terezín), use local buses or trains. Hiking or biking is a good option, landscape is really beautiful.
- Peace Square (Mírové namestí). Main square with Baroque plaque column, old buildings (don't miss The House of At the Black Eagle-Dum u Cerneho Orla with well-preserved Renaissance sgraffito) and old Renaissance town hall, now regional museum.
- Regional Museum Litomerice, Dlouhá 173 (Right on the Peace Square.), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 10:00-17:00 (closed on Mondays). History, archaeology and geologic evolution of the Litoměřice region and memorial of Czech poet Karel Hynek Mácha. 25 CZK, children 12 CZK.
- Karel Hynek Mácha Memorial, Máchova 177/5 (Just about 400 m from Peace Square, through "Machovy schody" street.), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 11:00-16:00 (closed on Monday). Part of Litoměřice regional museum, but this is the house where the famous Czech romantic poet Karel Hynek Mácha lived and died. 25 CZK, children and pensioners 12 CZK.
- City wallls. Well-preserved Gothic city walls, surrounding historic centre.
- Cathedral of Saint Stephen, Dómské nám. (500 m form Peace Square, 1000 m from railway station), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. opened just during church services. Seat of Litoměřice Diocese. Founded in 1057, rebuilt in early Baroque style. Situated on the hill, it is icon of the city.
- The Information Centre, Mírové náměstí 16/8a, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Paper manufactury, Velká Dominikánská 33 (150 m from Peace Square, 300 m from main railway station ("Litomerice-mesto")), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Monday and Thursday 10:00-17:00, it is possible to arrange in other time. Small museum of papermaking, located in historic city walls. You can make your own paper there. 40 CZK, children 20 CZK.
- Summer theater, Strelecky ostrov, Litomerice, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Litomerice Film Festival, ✉ email@example.com. Small local film festival.
- Summer swimming pool, Písečný ostrov 1928/1, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Open summer swimming pool on island on Elbe river. You can play tennis, beach-volleyball, pétanque and other sports there. Sauna and waterslide is available. 60 CZK/day.
- Radniční sklípek, Mírové náměstí 21/13 (Right on the Peace Square), ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com. Sunday- Thursday 11:00-23:00; Friday-Saturday 11:00-24:00. Restaurant in historical underground. daily menu - soup 25 CZK, main courses around 100 CZK.
- Hotel, restaurant and brewery Koliba, Českolipská 2100, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Budvarka Pub, Lidická 58/13 (50 m from main square), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Pub and restaurant.
- Dobrá Bašta, Mezibraní 5, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Mon-Thu 11:00 - 23:00 Fri-Sat 11:00 - 00:00 Sun: 11:00 - 22:00. Nice non-smoking restaurant in historic building, traditional Czech cuisine.
- Park Cafe, Žižkova 2249, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. January, February, March, October, November - daily 13:00-19:00 April-September Mo-Fri 9:00-19:00 Sat-Sun 13:00-19:00, December: CLOSED. Popular café offering desserts and some local products.
- Minipivovar labut (microbrewery), Zítkova 784/5412 01, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Mon: 11:00-22:00; Tue-Th: 11:00-23:00; Fri-Sat: 11:00-0:00; Sun: 11:00-22:00. Microbrewery and restaurant.
- Penzion U Svatého Václava, Svatováclavská 131/12 (400 m from Peace Square), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Family B&B in Baroque house in historic centre.
- Hotel, restaurant and brewery Koliba, Českolipská 2100, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Offers wellness treatments, including beer spa.
- Salva Guarda, Mírové náměstí 12 (On Peace Square), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Hotel in old Renaissance house.
- Terezín - if you are once in Litomerice, it's a must to visit Terezín concentration camp, just 5 km form Litomerice
- Central Bohemian Uplands - Litomerice is located in heart of protected landscape area with unusual mountains of volcanic origin. You can reach several castle ruins (Hazmburk), hills (Lovos, Milesovka) and look-out towers by walk on well-marked tourist routes, just from the city!
- Porta Bohemica (Gate of Bohemia)- Elbe creates canyon-like valley with many meanders.
- Úštěk - small historic town with well-preserved gothic houses, 17 km from Litomerice
- Ploskovice - 7 km from Litomerice, baroque chateau
- Doksany Monastery - baroque monastery, 10 km from the city