Alliance is a city in the Nebraska Panhandle with a population of 8,100 in 2019.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
Alliance sits at the intersection of US-385 and NE-2. The nearest interstate is I-80, located 79 miles south of the town. Highway US-26 is 37 miles south and Highway US-20 is 45 miles north of the town.
A regional airport is located near the town, receiving flights from Denver International.
- 1 Alliance Municipal Airport (AIA IATA), 5631 Sarpy Rd (take NE-2 east from Alliance, turn right on Co Rd 57), ☏ . Offering one route, both to and from Denver International (DEN IATA) by Boutique Air. Servicing an average of 25 flights a day. This airfield was constructed in 1942 as a U.S. Air Force base. When the Second World War ended in 1945, the airfield sat abandoned until it was purchased by the city of Alliance in 1953.
The town is laid out in a grid pattern. Numbered streets go east-west, increasing the further north they are. 1st St is located next to the train yard. Named streets go north-south and are called avenues. There are a number of one-way roads in the city, so make sure to look at the signs before turning. The intersection of Box Butte Ave and E 3rd St is considered the downtown region.
- 1 Carhenge, 2151 Co Rd 59 (take Flack Ave/NE-87 north from Alliance, it will be on the right), ☏ , ✉ TourBoxButte@bbc.net. Site open during daylight hours. Gift shop open M-Sa 10AM-5PM. Constructed in 1987 by Jim Reinders as a memorial to his father. A replica of England's Stonehenge, constructed out of vintage American automobiles painted gray. The site also hosts a number of other art pieces by Reinders and other artists. Free admission.
- 2 Knight Museum and Sandhills Center, 908 Yellowstone Ave (next to Alliance Central Park), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. May-Sep: M-F 8AM-7PM, Sa 10AM-6PM, Su 1PM-5PM; Oct-Apr: M-F 8AM-5PM, Sa 10AM-5PM, Su closed. This local history museum covers the history of human settlement in the sandhills region of Nebraska. Pioneer memorabilia, Native American artifacts, and railroad history are some of the highlights of the collection housed here. Free admission.
- 3 Sallows Military Museum, 1101 Niobrara Ave (between the football field and central park), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Summer 1PM-4PM, Winter Mon-Fri 1PM-4PM. This museum covers the history of the American solider from the Revolutionary War to the modern battlefield. A large collection of artifacts, weapons, and memorabilia is on display. Most of the items were donated by people from western Nebraska. Free Admission.
- 4 Dobby's Frontier Town, 320 E 25th St (northern edge of town, across from the hospital), ☏ . May-Oct 10AM-6PM. An open air museum showcasing life at the turn of the 20th century. A dozen historical buildings, including a saloon and photograph studio, are decorated as they would have been during their heyday. A Fall Festival is held the third weekend in September. This event hosts bake sales, competitions and indigenous dancers. Free admission. Donations accepted.
- 1 Gathering Spot, 213 Box Butte Ave, ☏ . Mon-Thur 3:30PM-1AM, Fri-Sat 11AM-1AM. An American bar and grill. Serving beer, burgers, and pizza. Hosts live music on weekends.
- 2 Ken & Dale's Restaurant, 123 W 3rd St, ☏ . Mon-Sat 6AM-9PM, Sun 8AM-3PM. An American diner that's been serving the city for over 30 years. Breakfast until 11AM. The relaxed atmosphere make this a good place to start the day.
- 3 Wonderful Kitchen, 930 W 3rd St (at the intersetion of W 3rd and Howard Ave), ☏ . Wed-Mon 11AM-8:30PM. Chinese restaurant. Offering large portions and vegetarian plates.
- 4 La Villa Restaurant, 614 W 3rd St (part of Rainbow Motel), ☏ . Mon-Thurs 11AM-8PM, Fri 11AM-9PM, Sat 11AM-8PM. Mexican restaurant. A busy location that offers authentic Mexican food.
- 5 Newberry's, 110 W 4th St (on the corner of Box Butte Ave and W 4th St), ☏ . Tues-Thurs 8AM-2PM, Fri 8AM-5PM. A coffee shop offering sandwiches, soups, and salads as well as drinks. Wireless internet available for paying customers. Occasionally hosts live music.
- 1 Brewery 719, 817 E 3rd St (on the corner of E 3rd and Hudson Ave), ☏ . Wed-Thurs 2PM-9PM, Fri-Sat 2PM-10PM. Serves locally brewed, in-house beers.
- 2 Players Sports Bar, 209 Box Butte Ave (between E 2nd and E 3rd St), ☏ . Mon-Sat 1PM-1AM. A hometown bar offering pool and keno. Cold beer on tap and liquor on the shelf.
- 3 Sandhillers Saloon, 207 Box Butte Ave, ☏ . Mon-Sat 11AM-1AM. Next-door to Player's Sports Bar. Serves food. A small hometown bar.
Considering its size and location, Alliance has several decent lodging options available, both in and around the city.
- 1 Alliance Hotel and Suites, 117 Cody Ave, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Close to downtown with wireless internet and breakfast included in the price. Small cats and dogs are allowed. Two stories but no elevator to the upper floor. $80 starting.
- 2 Holiday Inn Express, 1630 Holsten Dr (in the southwest corner of town, right off US-385), ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Wireless internet and breakfast included in the price. Swimming pool on site. Pets allowed with a $35 deposit. $120 starting.
- 3 Grandma Lala's Bed & Breakfast, 1232 Box Butte Ave (at the intersection of Box Butte and 14th St, west of the football field), ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. A small operation run by a friendly couple in the center of town. Call in advance to schedule a reservation. Price varies depending on length of stay. Four rooms to choose from and limit 2 to a room.
- 4 Rainbow Motel, 614 W 3rd St, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. As cheap as you can get and still have a roof over your head. Smoking option available. No pets. Wireless internet included but no breakfast. Weekly options available and monthly option available during the winter. $40 starting.
- 5 J&C RV Park, 2491 S US Hwy 385 (immediately off US-385, just north of Kansas St, surrounded by trees), ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. A small RV park with 13 locations and full hookups. Pets allowed and wireless internet available. It's close to the highway and the railroad, so noise is a bit of an issue. Very friendly staff. $36/night.
- 6 Sunset Motel, 1210 NE-2 (on the east side of town right off E 3rd St/NE-2.), ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Cheap. Provides an airport shuttle upon request. Pets are allowed for an extra $10 a night. Wireless internet and indoor pool. No breakfast provided. $50/night starting.
|Routes through Alliance|
|Deadwood ← Chadron ←||N S||→ Bridgeport → Sidney|
|Crawford ← Jct S ←||W E||→ Jct N S → Grand Island|
|Pine Ridge ← becomes ← Jct W E ←||N S||→ END|