Buses run between Newcastle and Alnwick.
Alnwick has no train station, but it is possible to take the train to Alnmouth and catch a taxi or a bus to Alnwick (less than 5 miles).
On foot or by Taxi.
- The Yellow Taxi (Russell Draper) (01665 541 250) - Up to six passengers can travel in style in a genuine London taxi. Call 01665 541 250 or look for The Yellow Taxi.
- 1 Alnwick Castle. The "poison garden" tour is entertaining. Seeing the castle might be a thrill for people who are really big fans of Rowan Atkinson's "Black Adder" or the Harry Potter films.
- 2 Alnwick Gardens. This is a fantastic place to visit with a young family. There are numerous fountains (modern design) that children are allowed to play in. It is a bit pricely to get in but children are free! The cafe provides children's lunch boxes at a reasonable price.
- 3 Brinkburn Priory, Longframlington, NE65 8AR (14 miles south of Alnwick), ☏ . adults £3.50, children £2.10, concessions £3.20.
- 4 Dunstanburgh Castle, Dunstanburgh Road, Craster, NE66 3TT (7 miles north east of Alnwick), ☏ . adults £4.20, children £2.50, concessions £3.80.
- 5 Warkworth Castle and Hermitage, Castle Terrace, Warkworth, NE65 0UJ (8 miles south east of Alnwick), ☏ . adults £5.00, children £3.00, concessions £4.50.
- 6 Cragside, Rothbury, NE65 7PX (10 miles south east of Alnwick), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 7 Aln Valley Railway, Lionheart Railway Station, Lionheart Enterprise Park. 10.30 to 16.30. (On advertised operating days - see https://alnvalleyrailway.co.uk/plan-your-visit). A short preserved railway.
- 1 Barter Books, Alnwick Station, NE66 2NP, ☏ . The largest second hand bookstore in the UK, housed in the former railway station. It is the loveliest place and its charm is complete with its own small fireplace, old Victorian sofas and even a miniature train running on top of the bookshelves. It holds some very old and rare books and even has its own cafe in the back.
A good cheap (especially by UK standards) pizza place is in the high street.
- The Hairy Lemon, 26 Narrowgate. A quiet, well-priced public house in Bondgate Within, located halfway between the Castle and the Market Place.
- Blackmore's. A friendly new modern bar next to Alnwick Playhouse, Bondgate Without. Much more friendly atmosphere for tourists.
|Routes through Alnwick|
|Edinburgh ← Berwick-upon-Tweed ←||N S||→ Morpeth → Newcastle-upon-Tyne|