- For other places with the same name, see Amazonia (disambiguation).
Amazonia (sometimes called Pan-Amazonia) is a huge region covering about 40% of the South American continent. It encompasses most of northern Brazil, parts of northern Bolivia, eastern Peru, eastern Ecuador, southeastern Colombia, southern Venezuela, southern Guyana, southern Suriname and southern French Guiana. It is one of the world's most diverse biological areas and is fed by rivers taking their offspring in the Andes of Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia and running into the Atlantic ocean in east Brazil.
- 1 Alter do Chão — Cozy riverside destination on the Tapajós river.
- 2 Belém — The last big city before the Amazon reaches the Atlantic ocean, south of Marajó island.
- 3 Coca — the capital of Orellana province of Ecuador, officially named Puerto Francisco de Orellana after the first Spanish explorer to cross the South American continent, traveling down the Amazon River in 1541-42.
- 4 Iquitos — The largest city of the world that can't be reached by road.
- 5 Macapá — Brazilian state capital north of Marajó island.
- 6 Manaus — The largest city and chief port in the Amazon region, and an important jumping off point for expeditions into the rain forest.
- 7 Mindo — Excellent bird watching in an Ecuadorian cloud forest setting.
- 8 Rio Branco — A Brazilian state capital.
- 9 Santarém — A Brazilian town on the confluence of the Tapajós river and the Amazon.
- 1 Amacayacu National Park — in Colombia
- 2 Cuyabeno Wild Life Reserve — in Ecuador
- 3 Duida-Marahuaca National Park — in Venezuela
- 4 Jesuit Missions of the Chiquitos — in Bolivia. Six remote towns of the Gran Chaco founded by the Jesuits in the 17th and 18th centuries. The region the towns are in is called Chiquitania and is well worth a visit not just for the Missions, but for the beautiful nature as well.
- 5 Limoncocha National Biological Reserve — in Ecuador
- 6 Noel Kempff Mercado National Park — in Bolivia. Impossibly remote and even more impossibly beautiful park, home to the stunning Cataratas Arcoiris waterfall
- 7 Yacapana National Park — in Venezuela
- 8 Yasuni National Park — in Ecuador
- See also: Central and South American wildlife