Amherst is a city of 12,000 people (2018) in the Greater Cleveland area, near the Lake Erie shore. It has been called the Sandstone Center of the World. Its quarries were an important source of grindstones. There were nine sandstone quarries in the area operating at the peak of production. Many early buildings are constructed of native sandstone.
Amherst is 2.5 miles (4 km) south of Lake Erie.
Amherst had a humid continental climate typical of much of the Central United States, with very warm to hot, humid summers and cold winters with moderate snow.
Get in and aroundEdit
By far the most common mode of transportation to and within Amherst is by car. However the downtown area is walkable. State Route 2 runs west to east through the northern portion of Amherst providing access from downtown Cleveland (25 minutes), its suburbs and Sandusky, Ohio. There are two exit/entrance ramps in the city (Oak Point Road and State Route 58).
The Ohio Turnpike also runs west to east along the City's southern border and there is one (exit/entrance) ramp just south of the city in Amherst Township at State Route 58.
Parts of the city are served by the Lorain County Transit system.
Cleveland Hopkins (CLE) is the nearest international airport; it is approximately 35 minutes east of the city.
- Amherst Historical Society & Sandstone Village, 113 South Lake St, ☏ +1 440 988-7255. Step back into the 1800s.
- Amherst Heritage House, 439 Shupe Ave., Amherst, ☏ +1 440 988-7130.
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial of Lorain County, North Lake Street, ☏ +1 440 288-7030.
- Miller's Apple Hill, 50549 State Route 113, Amherst, ☏ +1 440 965-7077. Come from mid-September to late October to pick apples in Miller's large and varied orchard, or stop by any time of the year to browse the bulk food store.
- Timber Ridge Campground, 51900 Portman Rd, ☏ +1 440 965-4113.
- The Kneaded Touch, 574 North Leavitt Rd, ☏ +1 440 985-2741. Spa.
- Workshop Players, 44820 Middle Ridge Rd, ☏ +1 440 988-5817.
- Single Tree Winery, 12488 Baumhart Rd, ☏ +1 440 965-7777. Nestled in seventeen acres, complete with a tasting room, an upstairs party room, and an outdoor picnic area.
- Art Gallery at Sandstone Village, 767 Milan Ave, ☏ +1 440 984-4442. Contains the work of Neal Jenne, Artist in Residence, as well as the works of many area artists.
- 1 Neiding Park.
- Speedway Slots and Hobbies, 46400 Telegraph Rd, ☏ +1 440 986-2298. Speedway Slots and Hobbies has 1:24 scale slot car racing on a 100-ft and a 160-ft road course track. No experience or equipment needed. Fun for the whole family.
- Main Street Amherst. In line with its designation as the Sandstone Center of the World, downtown Amherst has striking sandstone architecture, wonderful shopping opportunities and a tangible sense of the town's rich history.
- Jamie's Flea Market, 46388 Telegraph Rd, ☏ +1 440 986-4402. Northeast Ohio's largest flea market. Open year round on Wednesdays and Saturdays, 8AM to 4PM. 200 inside booths and 400 spaces for outdoor vendors.
- Don Mould's Plantation West (Route 58 & Route 113), ☏ +1 440 986-7777.
- Jefferson 150 Restaurant, 150 Jefferson St, ☏ +1 440 988-0330.
- Moosehead Grill, 7660 Leavitt Rd (SR 58), ☏ +1 440 985-7429. Cleveland Rib-Burn-Off award winning baby back ribs, pulled pork, beef brisket, certified Angus beef prime steaks, fresh seafood and pastas, full service bar in a log cabin.
- Days Inn, 934 Leavitt Rd, ☏ +1 440 985-1428.
- Motel 6, 704 North Leavitt Rd, ☏ +1 440 988-3266.
Cedar Point is nearby on 2 West.
|Routes through Amherst|
|Toledo ← Milan ←||W E||→ Elyria → Cleveland/Akron|
|Sandusky ← Vermilion ←||W E||→ Elyria → Cleveland|
|END ← Lorain ←||N S||→ Oberlin → Ashland|