Elyria is a city in Northeast Ohio. It is the county seat of Lorain County. Elyria sits at the forks of the Black River 23 mi (37 km) southwest of Cleveland. The city is home to Lorain County Community College.
The city's name is derived from the surname of its founder, Heman Ely, and Illyria, the historical name used by ancient Greeks and Romans to refer to the western Balkans.
In 2010, the city had a population of 55,000.
The village of Elyria was founded in 1817 by Heman Ely, who built a log house, dam, gristmill and sawmill on the village's site along the Black River. Ely began to build more houses to accommodate European-American settlers migrating there. By the time Ely died in 1852, Elyria had five churches, three grocery stores, three flour mills, a newspaper, and a population of more than 1,500.
In the first half of the 20th century, the town developed some manufacturing, and a range of retail businesses.
In 1967, at the peak of Elyria's population, Midway Mall was opened. It changed the local economy by attracting local businesses from the town center or causing so much competition they went out of business. Industrial restructuring meant that good jobs left the area, and poverty increased. Three major car plant closings in the area lead to economic stagnation and joblessness in the 1970s and 1980s that affected numerous communities. The region was nicknamed "the Rustbelt," suggesting the decline of its former industries.
In the 1990s, Elyria experienced a minor revival with construction of some new roads and housing. It serves as a residential, suburban "bedroom community" for Cleveland, to the east, where new businesses and industries are developing with an increase in new jobs. Hard times and new ideas hit Elyria as the 2000s and 2010s rolled on, as industries such as Bendix, Riddell, and 3M took their business elsewhere, outside the city.
OH-2, OH-57, OH-113, OH-301, US-20, I-80/Ohio Turnpike, and I-90.
- Cleveland-Hopkins International Airport (CLE IATA), ☏ , 5300 Riverside Drive, (take OH-237 N, OH-17 W, I-480 W, OH-10 W, and OH-57 N to get to Elyria).
- Richards Airport (9OH4). Private use. Permission required prior to landing, ☏ , 2301 W River Rd N.
- 1 Elyria Airport (1G1), 10800 Middle Ave, ☏ . Open to the public. No commercial flights.
- 2 Lorain County Regional Airport (FAA LID: LPR), 44050 Russia Rd, ☏ . General aviation airport open to the public.
There are two Amtrak routes serving Elyria, firstly the Capitol Limited between Washington, D.C. and Chicago via Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Secondly the Lake Shore Limited between Boston/New York and Chicago, running via Springfield, Buffalo, Cleveland, Toledo and more.
- Lorain County Transit (LCT), ☏ , .
- 1 East Falls, Kerstetter Way (from I-80, I-90, & OH-2: take OH-57 S, OH-57 S becomes Lorain Blvd, Lorain Blvd becomes Gateway Blvd, turn left on Lake Ave, Lake Ave becomes West Ave, & turn left on Kerstetter Way; from OH-57 & OH-113: go south on Lorain Blvd, Lorain Blvd becomes Gateway Blvd, turn left on Lake Ave, Lake Ave becomes West Ave, & turn left on Kerstetter Way; from US-20 & OH-301: go west on E Broad St & turn right on Kerstetter Way).
- 2 Hickories Museum, 509 Washington Ave, ☏ .
- Lorain County Historical Society and Museum, 509 Washington Ave, ☏ .
- Stocker Arts Center, 1005 North Abbe Rd, ☏ . Lorain County Community College's Stocker Center is one of Ohio's top performance and visual arts venues. The center hosts music, theatre, and dance performances, while also featuring gallery exhibitions from students, community members, and professional artists. The center houses a 994-seat theatre, 219-seat lecture hall, smaller theatre, cinema, dance studio, rehearsal hall, and art gallery.
- Finwood Estate, 799 North Abbe Rd, ☏ .
- North Park Sports Complex, 901 Duffy St, ☏ .
- Forest Hills Golf Course, 41971 Oberlin-Elyria Rd, ☏ .
- Commemorative Air Force - Cleveland Wing, 44050 Russia Rd, ☏ .
- Monteith Hall, 218 East Ave, ☏ .
- 1 Cascade Park, 120 Floradale Ct (from I-80, I-90, & OH-2: take OH-57 S, turn right on West River Rd N, & turn left on Floradale Ct. From OH-57 & OH-113: go south on West River Rd N & turn left on Floradale Ct. From US-20 & OH-301: take OH-57 N, turn left on West River Rd N, & turn left on Floradale Ct), ☏ . Includes a concession stand, a nature center/meeting facility, some nature/hiking trails, some picnic shelters, some playground equipment, some restrooms, and a sledding hill.
- Abbe Road Park, 740 North Abbe Rd (from I-90 & OH-2: take OH-57 N, turn right on OH-254, turn right on Gulf Rd, turn left on Burns Rd, & turn right on OH-301. From I-80: take OH-57 S & turn left on OH-301. From US-20, OH-57, & OH-113: take OH-301 N. From OH-301: On east side of OH-301.), ☏ . Includes some basketball courts, and a small playground area.
- Bell Avenue Park, Bell Ave & Furnace St (from I-80, I-90, & OH-2: take OH-57 S & turn left on Bell Ave. From OH-57: go east on Bell Ave. From OH-113 go north on Furnace St. From OH-301 & US-20: take OH-57 N & turn right on Furnace St), ☏ . Includes a small playground area.
- Molnar Outdoor, 9191 Leavitt Rd, ☏ .
- Grobe Fruit Farm, 43875 Telegraph Rd, ☏ . Open July through April, Grobe Fruit Farm offers fresh seasonal fruits, vegetables, and pasteurized cider.
- 1 Rubin's Deli and Restaurant, 616 Leona St (from I-90 and OH-2: take OH-57 S, turn right on Griswold Rd, and turn left on Leona St. From I-80, OH-113, US-20, and OH-301: take OH 57 N, turn right on Midway Mall Blvd, turn left on Tillotson St, and turn left on 49th St), ☏ .
- Smitty's Place, 368 E. Bridge St., ☏ . Smitty's features a great lunch and dinner menu along with excellent happy hour and beverage selections. Smitty's provides a family friendly dining room and patio seating in warm weather as well as bar seating where the sports are always on.
- The Spitzer Café at the Spitzer Conference Center, 1005 Abbe Rd., North Elyria, ☏ . The Spitzer Café, located on the Lorain County Community College Campus, offers an upscale buffet experience.
- 1 The Pub, 8741 West Ridge Road, ☏ . Noon-2AM. Great local bar and food all under 10 bucks. Daily food specials, ample parking, music fun and more. under $10.
|Routes through Elyria|
|Toledo ← Sandusky ←||W E||→ Cleveland → Pittsburgh|
|Toledo ← Sandusky ←||W E||→ Cleveland → Buffalo (Depew)|
|Toledo ← Vermilion ←||W E||→ North Ridgeville → Akron|
|Toledo/Sandusky ← Amherst ←||W E||→ Avon → Cleveland|
|Toledo ← Oberlin ←||W E||→ North Ridgeville → Cleveland|