Rockville is the second largest incorporated city in Maryland and is characterized by rolling hills, historic towns, and high tech industries. The city has been consistently ranked as one of the best places to live in the U.S.
Rockville is accessible on the Red Line of the Metrorail, which stops at White Flint, Twinbrook, Rockville, and Shady Grove. MARC Train, Brunswick line, offers service to/from Union Station in Washington DC as well as service to/from Gaithersburg, Germantown, Frederick, and Harpers Ferry. Also, Amtrak serves Rockville via its once-daily Capitol Limited train between Washington, D.C. and Chicago.
- 1 Rockville station, 307 S Stonestreet Ave.
- Rockville is accessible via Interstate 270, which links I-70 with I-495, the Capital Beltway.
- Maryland Route 355, known as Hungerford Drive in the downtown area, Frederick Road to the north, and Rockville Pike to the south, is the most important north-south thoroughfare in Rockville.
- Downtown Rockville lies near the nexus of Route 355 with Maryland Route 28, called Montgomery Avenue to the west of the intersection.
- Maryland Route 586, Veirs Mill Road, connects downtown Rockville to Wheaton to the southeast.
- Route 189, Falls Road, runs southwest to its terminus at Great Falls.
Parking meters in Rockville are linked to the MobileNOW payment system and app.
- 1 Beall-Dawson House, 103 West Montgomery Ave, ☏ . Built in 1815, it is generally well preserved and is now a museum showcasing life in the early 19th century. It includes the former residents' living quarters as well as an exhibit of 19th century medical equipment and medicine.
- 2 Peerless Rockville, 29 Courthouse Square, Room 110, ☏ . In the Historic red brick courthouse, this is a mini museum about the city's important heritage.
- 3 St. Mary's School & Cemetery, 600 Veirs Mill Rd, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Site of the grave of F. Scott Fitzgerald.
- 4 VisArts, 155 Gibbs St, ☏ . An arts center with public exhibitions and classes.
- 1 Go Ape Zip Line & Treetop Adventure, 6129 Needwood Lake Dr, ☏ .
- 2 Lake Needwood Boats, 15700 Needwood Lake Cir. Rent kayaks, rowboats, canoes or pedal boats.
- 3 Cabin John Regional Park, 7400 Tuckerman Lane, ☏ . The nicest park in Montgomery County, it features an ice-skating rink; indoor and outdoor tennis courts; and many picnic areas, trails and camp sites.
- 4 Carl Henn Millennium Trail. A 10 mi (16 km) loop bicycle trail around Rockville. Free.
- 5 Dogwood Park, 1098 Monroe St. Includes tennis courts, baseball fields and other recreational facilities.
- 6 Meadowside Nature Center, 5100 Meadowside Ln, ☏ . 8 mi (13 km) of trails.
- 7 Croydon Creek Nature Center, 852 Avery Rd, ☏ . Kid-friendly trails.
- 1 City of Rockville Farmers Market, Corner of Route 28 & Monroe St. Every Saturday May-Nov, 9AM-1PM.
- 2 Second Story Books, 12160 Parklawn Drive, ☏ . Sun-Wed 10-8 and Thurs-Sat 10-9. Very good and very large used book store with lots of used books, LP's, CD's, posters and antiques set in a warehouse. Free parking and about a 15 minute walk from Twinbrook metro station.
In addition to the restaurants below, all of the popular east-coast chain restaurants are represented in Rockville.
- 1 A&J Restaurant, 1319 Rockville Pike, ☏ . Affordable but good Chinese cuisine and dim sum.
- 2 Silver Diner, 12276 Rockville Pike, ☏ . A classic American diner with milkshakes and a jukebox.
- 3 Taipei Tokyo, 11510 Rockville Pike, ☏ . Chinese, Thai & Japanese cafeteria style.
- 4 IL Pizzico, 15209 N Frederick Rd, ☏ . Homemade Italian food.
- 5 La Brasa Latin Cuisine, 12401 Parklawn Dr, ☏ . Everything Latin from quesadillas to Peruvian rotisserie chicken.
- 6 La Limena, 765 Rockville Pike, ☏ . Peruvian and Cuban cuisine.
- 7 Mosaic Cuisine and Cafe, 186 Halpine Rd, ☏ . Waffle sandwiches in an artsy setting.
- 8 Nantucket's Reef, 9755 Traville Gateway Dr, ☏ . A Cope Cod-themed seafood restaurant with beer specials.
- 9 Niwano Hana, 887 Rockville Pike, ☏ . Sushi.
- 10 Pho 95, 785 Rockville Pike, ☏ . Vietnamese food.
- 11 Pizza CS, 1596 Rockville Pike, ☏ . A lively pizza restaurant that also has games such as shuffleboard.
- 12 Siena's Vegetarian Pizzeria Restaurant, 4840 Boiling Brook Pkwy, ☏ . Sun-Thu 11:00 AM - 8:00 PM, Fri 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM, Closed Sat. All-vegetarian, kosher menu.
- 13 Trapezaria Mediterranian Kuzina, 11 N Washington St, ☏ . A family-owned Greek restaurant.
- 14 Villa Maya Restaurant, 5532 Norbeck Rd, ☏ . Mexican.
- 15 Yuan Fu Vegetarian, 798 Rockville Pike, ☏ . Vegetarian Chinese.
- 16 Tower Oaks Lodge (Clydes), 2 Preserve Parkway, ☏ . Very tasty but fairly affordable cuisine, mostly American fare but some foreign or foreign-influenced dishes. Serves breakfast/brunch, lunch, and dinner.
- 1 Botanero, 800 Pleasant Dr #160, ☏ . Good small plates and wine.
- 2 Cafe 2020, 4870 Boiling Brook Pkwy, ☏ . Korean Bar
- 3 F M Karaoke, 2131 Veirs Mill Rd, ☏ . Popular karaoke bar.
- 4 Full On Craft Eats & Drinks, 4007 Norbeck Rd, ☏ . Good selection of craft beers.
- 5 Hank Dietle's Tavern, 11010 Rockville Pike, ☏ . Open since the 1950s, this bar is situated in a bungalow with a porch. Features a pool table & live music.
- 6 Jonathan's Publick House, 820 Baltimore Rd, ☏ . Famous for serving beer in frozen mugs.
- 7 Quench, 9712 Traville Gateway Dr, ☏ . Craft cocktail lounge.
- 8 [dead link] Vibes Hookah Lounge, 1 Dawson Ave, ☏ .
- 9 Cafe 5601, 5601 Fishers Ln, ☏ .
- 10 Carmen's Italian Ice & Cafe, 1115 Nelson St, ☏ . A local favorite during the warmer months. Offers gelati, Italian ice, custard, and some other fare. On the 8th of every month, most chilled deserts are half off.
- 11 CremCafe, 199 E Montgomery Ave, ☏ . Espresso bar.
- 12 Lavande Patisserie, 275 N Washington St, ☏ .
- 13 PB's Coffee & Dessert, 5562 Norbeck Rd, ☏ .
- 14 [dead link] Tower Oaks Cafe, 2000 Tower Oaks Blvd, ☏ .
- 1 Best Western Washington Gateway Hotel - Rockville, MD, 1251 West Montgomery Ave, ☏ .
- 2 Cambria Hotel & Suites Rockville, 1 Helen Heneghan Way, ☏ . From $139.
- 3 Courtyard Rockville, 2500 Research Blvd, ☏ .
- 4 EVEN Hotel Rockville, 1775 Rockville Pike, ☏ .
- 5 Extended Stay America - Washington D.C. - Rockville, 1775 Rockville Pike, ☏ . From $100.
- 6 Hilton Garden Inn Rockville-Gaithersburg, 14975 Shady Grove Rd, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: Noon.
- 7 Hilton Washington DC/Rockville Executive Meeting Center, 1750 Rockville Pike (Next to Twinbrook Metrorail Station), ☏ . Check-in: 4PM, check-out: Noon.
- 8 Homewood Suites by Hilton Rockville-Gaithersburg, 14975 Shady Grove Rd, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: Noon.
- 9 Radisson Hotel Washington DC - Rockville, 3 Research Ct, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: Noon. From $125.
- 10 Sheraton Rockville Hotel, 920 King Farm Blvd, ☏ .
- 11 Sleep Inn Rockville, 2 Research Ct, ☏ .
- 1 Rockville Public Library, 21 Maryland Ave #100, ☏ . Mon-Thu 9 AM - 9PM, Fri-Sat 10 AM - 6 PM, Sun 1 PM - 5PM. Computer, wifi, and internet policy: https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/library/policies/computers.html
- 2 Twinbrook Public Library, 202 Meadow Hall Dr, ☏ . Mon-Thu 10 AM - 8 PM, Fri-Sat 10 AM - 6PM, Sun Closed. Computer, wifi, and internet policy: https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/library/policies/computers.html