- The South Bend Airport (SBN IATA) is about 27 mi (43 km) northwest of the city center, in the very northern part of the State of Indiana and close to the border of Michigan. The airport has easy access to Interstate 80/90 and US 20/31.
- 1 Elkhart Municipal Airport (EKI IATA), 2246 Airport Dr., ☏ . It has no scheduled flights.
- Interstates 80 and 90 (also known as the Indiana Toll Road) makes Elkhart easily accessible by car from the west and east. It connects to Chicago, in the west and Toledo, to the east. Exits for Elkhart on the Indiana Toll Road would be State Road 19 (Elkhart) and County Road 17 (Elkhart East).
- U.S. 20 provides access primarily from places to the west and east. It connects to South Bend, in the west and Toledo, to the east.
- U.S. 33 provides access primarily from places to the southeast. It connects to Goshen and Fort Wayne.
- State Road 19 provides access primarily from places to the north and south. It connects to Peru, in the south and Michigan, in the north.
- County Road 17 provides access primarily from places to the north and south. It connects to Goshen, in the south, and Michigan, in the north.
- Interurban Trolley is a local inter-city, and connects Elkhart to the nearby cities of Goshen and Mishawaka. The Interurban Trolley connects to South Bend-Mishiwaka region's TRANSPO bus system, which, in turn, connects the riders to the South Shore Line and South Bend Regional Airport.
- Greyhound buses stop in the city's northern section.
There are two daily Amtrak services, the Capitol Limited between Chicago and Washington, D.C., as well as the Lake Shore Limited between Chicago, Boston and New York. 2 Elkhart station is located at 131 Tyler Avenue. The Interurban Trolley has a stop near the station, one block north on Harrison Street, but the Interurban Trolley doesn't run late night or early mornings, when most trains arrive. Be prepared to phone for a cab or have someone meet you because transportation from the station to the city is limited.
Driving in and around Elkhart by car is simple, with most streets being two way traffic. North-south travel can be difficult with the city being on the St. Joe River and a busy railroad track. Most streets don't cross either, but the one the cross the railroad tracks have under passes, so watch for low bridges.
- Interurban Trolley. a local inter-city, connects Elkhart to the nearby cities of Goshen and Mishawaka. The Interurban Trolley connects to South Bend-Mishiwaka region's Transpo bus system, which, in turn, connects the riders to the South Shore Line and South Bend Regional Airport.
- 1 Midwest Museum of American Art, 429 S Main St, ☏ .
- 2 National New York Central Railroad Museum, 721 S. Main St, ☏ . Tu-Sa 10AM-5PM, Su noon-4PM. A museum with many interesting displays about railroad history of the area.
- 3 Ruthmere Museum, 302 E Beardsley Ave, ☏ .
- 4 RV/MH Hall of Fame.
- Wellfield Botanic Gardens.
Hotels are clustered along the exit to Elkhart from Interstate 80. There are no major hotels in downtown.
- WNDU 16 NBC
- WSBT 22 CBS
- WCWW 25 CW
- WSJV 28 FOX
- WNIT 34 PBS
- WBND 57 ABC
- WMYS 69 My Network
South Bend is 15 minutes away.
|Routes through Elkhart|
|Chicago ← South Bend ←||W E||→ Toledo → Cleveland|
|Chicago ← South Bend ←||W E||→ Bryan → Toledo|
|South Bend ← Mishawaka ←||W E||→ Jct N S → Bryan → Toledo|
|South Bend ← Mishawaka ←||W E||→ Angola → Toledo|
|END ←||NW SE||→ Goshen → Fort Wayne|