town in Central Bedfordshire, Bedfordshire, UK
Ampthill a quaint town of about 13,000 people in Bedfordshire.
Thie Georgian market town is famous for its connections with Catherine of Aragon and John Bunyan's A Pilgrim's Progress.
Ampthill is 5.5 mi (8.9 km) from junction 12 of the M1.
- 1 Houghton House. A ruined mansion house.
- 2 Cut-throat Meadow, Ailesbury Rd, MK45 2ES, ☏ +44 1234 364 213. Wildflower meadow. free.
- Rugby: Ampthill RUFC play rugby union in National League One, England's amateur second tier. Their home ground is Dillingham Park north side of town.
It has numerous antique, gift and coffee shops.
- Donatello's, Dunstable Street - pizza and pasta
- Fratelli's, Dunstable Street - pizza and pasta
- The Dewdrop, Dunstable Street - Chinese takeaway and restaurant
- Rajgate, Bedford Street - Indian takeaway and restaurant
- Earl's, Dunstable Street - restaurant and brasserie
- 1 The Cottage Bakery, 61-63 Dunstable St, MK45 2NQ, ☏ +44 1525 402 348. M-Sa 7AM–3PM, Su closed.
- 1 The Albion, 36 Dunstable St, MK45 2JT, ☏ +44 1525 634 857.
- 2 Engine & Tender, 9-11 Dunstable St, MK45 2NJ, ☏ +44 1525 403 319. Green King
- 3 The Old Sun, 87 Dunstable St, Ampthill, Bedford MK45 2NQ, ☏ +44 1525 405 466.
- 4 The Hide Café Bar, 2B Woburn St, MK45 2HP, ☏ +44 1525 837 007. W-Su 9:30AM–3:30PM, M Tu closed.
- 1 The White Hart, 125 Dunstable St,, ☏ +44 1525 305200.
As of May 2022, Ampthill has 4G from all UK carriers. 5G has not yet reached town, though it's getting close.