Woburn is a picturesque village in Bedfordshire, close to Milton Keynes in Buckinghamshire. In addition to its Georgian architecture, Woburn is notable for Woburn Abbey, a stately home, and a Safari park.
Woburn has more than 200 listed Georgian buildings, many antique shops, pubs, chic restaurants and a fabulous tea-room for the truly English experience! If you visit in early September you will have a fabulous time at their yearly Oyster Festival: food, drink, live music and street entertainers, as well as champagne and Oysters, make this a great day out for all the family.
From London, take the M1 and leave at junction 13, then take the A4012. From Milton Keynes, either take the M1 from junction 14 to junction 13 (then A4012) or head towards to M1 but instead take the A5130 to Woburn. From Bedford, take the A412 towards junction 13 of the M1, then take the A4012
1 Woburn Sands. The nearest railway station. It is served by trains that run between Bletchley (near Milton Keynes) and Bedford. There are no direct trains to Milton Keynes or London. Bus 138 links Woburn Sands station with Woburn.
From Euston station: head towards Milton Keynes. Either go to Bletchey for the train to Woburn Sands or continue to the next stop, Milton Keynes, and take a bus to Woburn (see By bus section).
From St Pancras station: head towards Bedford. Either go to Flitwick and take bus 10A to Woburn or continue to the next stop, Bedford and take the train to Woburn Sands.
From Milton Keynes, bus 138 runs from central Milton Keynes to Woburn.
Buses 160 and 165 run between Bedford and Leighton Buzzard via Woburn.
- 1 Woburn Abbey, ☏ +44 1525 290333. It is set in 3,000 acres of beautiful gardens complete with a deer park and fabulous buildings and really is a must-see if you find yourself in Bedfordshire. The abbey has been home to the Dukes of Bedford for more than 300 years and is now occupied by the 15th Duke and his family. There are many things to do at the Abbey: if the weather is nice maybe a picnic lunch in the stunning grounds watching some of the ten species of deer, or you can join one of the tours looking at the many paintings collected at the Abbey, including those by Gainsborough, Reynolds, Van Dyck and Cuyp. There is also a fabulous Tea Room where you can enjoy traditional afternoon tea in true English style and the Woburn at War exhibition, which illustrates the impact of wars on Woburn Abbey.
- 2 Staunton House, Bedford St, MK17 9QH. Alms houses built in 1762 and rebuilt 1850.
- Woburn Heritage Museum, Bedford St, MK17 9FJ (in redundant St Mary’s Church in the village churchyard), ☏ +44 1525 290 631, email@example.com. Apr-Sep: M-F 2-4:30PM; Apr-Oct: Sa Su 10AM-5PM.
- 1 Woburn Safari Park, entrance Crawley Rd, Ridgmont, MK43 0TU (take B5704 from the north of Woburn), ☏ +44 1525 290407. An amazing safari adventure where you might least expect it! Drive around in your own car (no dogs). Experience the beauty of wild animals up close and personal... but watch out for those mischievous monkeys! Aside from seeing sea lions, birds of prey, elephants, giraffes, tigers, lynxes, penguins and snakes, to name but a few, you can also book a special experience: VIP Tour with a Ranger, walk with elephants or breakfast with the carnivores. There is also the Great Woburn Railway, Swan Boats and the Mammoth Play Ark to keep you and your family occupied. £50 per car [online].
- 1 Woburn China Shop, 8 Market Pl, MK17 9PZ, ☏ +44 1525 290 569. Sells Alynsley, Royal Worcester and Spode English porcelain.
- 1 Woburn Coffee House, 21 Market Place, MK17 9PZ, ☏ +44 1525 290 050, firstname.lastname@example.org. F Sa Su noon-7PM. Where one has afternoon tea.
- 1 The Birch, 20 Newport Rd, MK17 9HX (on right of A5130 north of the village), ☏ +44 1525 290 295.
- 2 The Black Horse, 1 Bedford St, MK17 9QB, ☏ +44 1525 290 210.
- 3 Woburn Mosaic, 13/14 Market Place, MK17 9PZ, ☏ +44 1525 290 889. W-Sa 10AM-10PM, Su 10AM-6PM, M Tu closed. Art gallery by day: bar by night.
- 4 Flootes, 18 Market Pl, MK17 9PZ, ☏ +44 1525 290 042. 8AM-5PM. Coffee, champagne and cakes.
And in Woburn Sands:
- 5 The Weathercock, Station Rd, Woburn Sands, MK17 8SH, ☏ +44 1908 586 889.
- 1 The Bell Hotel, 21 Bedford Street (Central Woburn), ☏ +44 1525 290280. Restored Georgian townhouse, 25 rooms, smart restaurant, free Wi-Fi.
- 2 Longs Inn, 18 Bedford Street (Central Woburn), ☏ +44 1525 290219. Formerly Magpies Hotel, a 17th-century hotel with characterful bar. 15 rooms, free Wi-Fi. From £75.
- 3 The Inn at Woburn, George Street (at the crossroads in central Woburn), ☏ +44 1525 290441. 17th-century building, 48 rooms, smart restaurant.
Nearby Milton Keynes offers budget accommodation.
- 1 Woburn Car Park, Park Street, MK17 9PG (South of St Mary the Virgin). Free.
- Go north east to Bedford 15 mi (24 km) on A421.
- Go east to Ampthill 8 mi (13 km).
- Go south to Dunstable 9 mi (14 km).
|Routes through Woburn|
|Milton Keynes ← Bletchley ←||NW SE||→ Leighton Buzzard → Luton|