Ashland is a city in Boyd County in the Kentucky Appalachians near the confluence of the Big Sandy and Ohio Rivers. It was founded as Poage's Landing in 1786, incorporated as Ashland in 1854, and has witnessed the likenesses of such personalities as Billy Ray Cyrus and the Judds.
- From Interstate 64 there are two exits.
Ashland is served by Amtrak and its the thrice-weekly Cardinal train service between New York and Chicago, via Cincinnati and Indianapolis. Westbound trains arrive around 10PM while eastbound ones arrive early morning about 6:30AM, delays are however quite common. 1 Ashland Transportation Center is located in downtown at 99 15th St.
- 1 Paramount Arts Center, 1300 Winchester Ave, ☏ . Various cultural programs and nationally renowned artists/concerts.
- 2 Central Park, ☏ . Daily 7AM-11PM. A beloved municipal park with pond and foliage and pioneer cabin, but watch out for hypodermic needles.
- 3 Port of Ashland (Riverfront Park), ☏ . A place to view the languid Ohio River and boat traffic, with statuary.
- Summer Motion is a two-week festival culminating on July 4th. Events include concerts, air show, and a carnival.
- Greenbo State Park
- Carter Caves State Park
- The Frame Up Gallery, 1436 Winchester Ave, ☏ . Cafe inside a picture frame shop.
- 1 Fat Patty's Ashland, 1442 Winchester Ave, ☏ .
- Crisp's Dairy Treat, US 60 W, Summit, +1 606 928-8193
- Jim's Hotdogs & Spaghetti (in the arcade), 1536 Winchester Ave, Ste #18, ☏ .
- 2 LaFinca Mexican Restaurant, 1201 Greenup Ave, ☏ .
- Moe's Southwest Grill, 115 6th St, ☏ .
The city of Ashland is "wet", meaning that full retail alcohol sales are allowed. Boyd County is dry, but allows alcohol sales by the drink in larger restaurants (seating at least 100). The same applies in the nearby city of Russell, which is in Boyd County's otherwise dry neighbor of Greenup County. Nearby areas in Ohio and West Virginia are wet.
|Routes through Ashland|
|Cincinnati ← Maysville ←||W E||→ Huntington → Charleston|
|Columbus ← Portsmouth ←||N S||→ Catlettsburg → Kingsport|
|Lexington ← Carter Caves State Resort Park ←||W E||→ Catlettsburg → Charleston|