Badlapur is a city in Thane district of Maharashtra. Initially it was a group of 4 villages in Thane District of Maharashtra state in India. The villages were Katrap, Kulgaon, Badlapur and Manjarli, and the actual "Badlapur" village is approximately 10 km from the main city centre. However, due to advancement and urban development, it is now officially recognised as a city by Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority.
Over a period of time, Badlapur has transformed into a major residential area, comprising various communities and people of different social classes. Badlapur is typically known to Mumbai people as a week-end picnic spot, as it hosts two major dams, and a few waterfalls appear during the monsoon.
Its proximity to Mumbai has transformed Badlapur into one of the major residential zones in the area. Although it is approximately 70 km from Mumbai main city, its quiet surroundings, proximity to beautiful natural environments and somewhat cool temperatures made it a place liked by many.
Badlapur is well connected with Mumbai, Pune and Bhiwandi through rail and road networks. The nearest airport is Mumbai International Airport (approx. 65 km). The nearest rail head is Kalyan, which is a junction that connects to all parts of India. The best way to get in is by local trains (EMU) which ply round the clock between Badlapur and Mumbai.
Services of three-wheeler autorickshaws and online cabs are available. These are very affordable and the best way to get around faster. However, many people though like to walk around city, as you won't easily tire there, due to its clean air.
- Badlapur Fort
- Barvi Dam
- Barrage Dam
- Shanti Sagar Water Park & Resort
- Rainy Resort Water Park
- Satsang Vihar
- Matheran (20 km)
- Bhoj Dam & Resorts
- Kondeshwar - Kondeshwar has a beautiful water fall along with a pond. There is a temple of Lord Shiva and hence the name Kondeshwar. Kondeshwar is remotely located away from noise and urban pollution, with the nearest village located about 20/25 minutes by walk. Though Kondeshwar is a very beautiful place to be in a monsoon period, there have been many accidents and fatalities due to unsafe swimming practices by people who have very less knowledge of the crevices under the water. Many people have died due to the turbulence of the waterfall and they were taken inside the crevices from where it is very difficult to come out due to the heavy force of water.
- Gajanan Maharaj Temple – Kanhor - Shri Sant Gajanan Maharaj Temple – Kanhor is among the well known religious places located in a serene & scenic place. The temple is situated just outside of Badlapur village on a small hillock surrounded by fields and greenery all around. The enchanting natural beauty around the temple is another attractions for the devotees who visit the temple.
- Moolgaon – Khandoba Temple - The temple of Lord Khandoba is located in Moolgaon, a small village, around 4 Miles (6 km) from Badlapur Railway station. From the temple you can see the panoramic view of Badlapur, Kulgaon and Vangani. The best time to visit this place is around September to November.
- Swim at your leisure in Ulhas River or be safe at numerous water parks.
- Take a stroll around city and enjoy street food.
- Kondeshwar Shiv Temple, Kondeshwar Gaon (15 km to the south). This is a very old temple.
- Kondeshwar shivmandir (temple), Kondeshwar Gaon (15 km to the east). Very old temple in a beautiful place.
- Bhoj Resort, Bhoj Dam, Kondeshwar Road, Badlapur (Ask for Dahivali Gaon and then for Bhoj Resort), ☏ . Facilities include Sauna, Steam bath, Rain Dance, Swimming Pool and camping environment tent facility For stay including Swimming, Breakfast, Lunch, Tea, Dinner, Tea: ₹400-₹500 per person per day.
There are many good hotels & food joints around which serve traditional Indian food. Don't miss "vada Pau" on roadside stalls.
- Farmer's Den, ☏ . A riverside resort for day and overnight picnics, multi cuisine, ample space and greenery, cable TV, Barbecue nights.
There are many bars around serving wine and other alcohol. Try "Moha Wine" if you happen to visit during winter.
- Rajhans Lodge . ₹250 per night.
- Bhoj Resort ₹300-₹500 per person for stay including many facilities
- Rainy Resort. ₹900 per night.