You will find people are in hurry but still they help those who are in needed. Kalyan has many tourist places but most are unknown or dirty/not maintained by local authority.
The nearest airport is the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport in Mumbai. Once you get off, you will need to take a taxi or hire a car. The distance to Thane is around 32 km. The drive can take between 15-30 minutes depending on the traffic.
The best way to get to Kalyan from Mumbai using public transport is to take the local train service. If you are coming from the airport, take an auto-rickshaw to Kurla station which is served by the Central Railway and buy a ticket to Kalyan. You need to take a downside train towards Karjat or Kasara which would reach Kalyan in around 45 - 55 minutes.This method is recommended only if you are adventurous at heart and are not carrying any luggage.
Kalyan is also well served by long distance trains, almost all of which stop at Kalyan station en route Mumbai.
Toll gate while entering Kalyan via Eastern express highway(Bhiwandi Bypass).
A main road enters the city from Bhiwandi Bypass (A Bypass on National highway 3 connecting Mumbai and Nashik). There is a toll gate near Kon village which is the entrance to Kalyan city.
Travelling in city by bus in not a good idea because buses in Kalyan are usually crowded and does not connect whole part of Kalyan. Kalyan has its own bus depot. Most important bus depot is Kalyans bus depot. The buses for long routes as well as short routes are available here.
Local tains are the best medium to travel around Kalyan as they are reliant, time consuming and well connected. To travel places like Titwala, Ambernath, Karjat, Thane, etc catch train from Kalyan. On central line of railway Kalyan assumes to be most important station because all the trains stops here. Kalyan is a prome junction for Nasik and Pune Linesso majority of the Express & Mail Trains have a stop here.
If you are willing to travel to many places of Kalyan then choose rickshaw as are very easily available.
Nearby places to roam around are:
- Titwala (Ganapati temple)
- Ambernath (Shiv mandir)
- Bhivpuri (Waterfall)
- 1 Acharya Atre Natya Rangmandir.
- 2 Birla Mandir, Shahad. One of the most beautiful temples, dating back centuries and a must visit, which is maintained by the Birla Group.
- 3 Durgadi Killa (Durgadi Fort). A fort of the Shivaji Era with walls that surrounded early Kalyan.
- 4 Ganesh Ghat.
- 5 Kala Talav (Kala Talao). A famous & hostorical lake.
- Lonad Caves & ancient Sun Temple, Lonad village on Padgha Road (hire private auto or go by own vehicle or Kalyan-Padgha bus). Cavesold as the ones at Ajanta and Ellora, on a hill near Lonad village. The Sun Temple is in the village.
- 6 Malanggad (Haji Malang Dargah). A moderate trek is required to reach this notable shrine and fort built on a hill.
- 7 Metro Junction Mall. One of the biggest malls in Mumbai.
People here visit for its historical importance.
- Hotel Relish, Near SBI, Murbad Road (from station at about 1 km on Murbad Road, building next to State Bank of India). Hotel Relish is a family restaurant and bar serving Indian, Chinese, Punjabi & Mouglai dishes.
- Gurudev Hotel, Near Kalyan Station (from station about 5 minutes walking). AC/non AC
- Metro Junction Mall. Fast foody. 3rd level of mall is reserved for food court.
- Prasad Hotel (catch the auto from Kolsewadi or station (Kolsewadi will be better)). 3½ star rated with high brand infrastructure and hospitality, service. Prasad hotel is near Katemanivli. Kolhapuri bhaji is most tasty food served here.
- Relax Garden NX, Kalyan East, Chinchpada Gaon, ☏ . This is one of the best hotels in town for dinner. 4 km away from the station.
There are many lodges near the railway station, but there is a lack of decent hotels. Kalyan has 2-3 nice hotels like the 3-star Raja hotel in the Ahilyabai Chowk near municipal corporation office and Hotel Sagar International which is close to Kalyan railway station, with a lounge and bar with.
Kalyan is usually safe city for women too. Lovers or couples must be careful while exposing your love. Public places are not for you in Kalyan. Travelling in night is little dangerous as most of the part is covered with thieves and drunker.
Kalyan police is quite helpful but there is no security for women at night. Many bars open till midnight so please be careful by traveling at night. Kalyan people are helpful and very friendly. Common sense during traveling is must.