- For other places with the same name, see Baoshan (disambiguation).
Baoshan (保山, Băoshān) is a prefecture-level city in Western Yunnan.
As is the case with the vast majority of prefecture-level cities in China, the city’s name may be used to refer to either the central urban area or the entire prefecture. This article is primarily about the central urban area and its immediate surroundings.
Baoshan’s main urban district is Longyang District. Other areas of the prefecture include Changning County, Shidian County, Longling County and the county-level city of Tengchong.
Get in edit
By plane edit
- 1 Baoshan Yunrui Airport (保山云端机场), Hangrui Expressway, Longyang District (隆阳区杭瑞高速) (a special bus service operates between the airport and the city center - the bus terminates outside the Yongchang Hotel on Xuefu Road), ☏ . Frequent flights to Baoshan are available from Kunming. Other cities with air connections to Baoshan include Changsha, Chengdu, Chongqing, and Guangzhou.
By train edit
- 2 Baoshan Railway Station (保山站), Longyang District (隆阳区) (bus nos. 1, 2A, 2B, 3, 4, 7, 8 and 23). This is a station on the Dali-Ruili Railway, which is still partly under construction. The Dali-Baoshan section of the line was officially opened in July 2022. Hence train services to Baoshan are now available from Kunming, Chuxiong and Dali. The Baoshan-Ruili section of the line, which will terminate at Ruili, is expected to be completed by the end of 2026. If you're going to Tengchong, you can get a bus from here.
By bus edit
- 3 Baoshan Bus Station (保山客运站), Intersection of Hangrui Expressway and Baoxiu Road East (杭瑞高速和保岫东路交汇处) (local public buses stopping outside the station include bus nos. 7, 8, 9 north, 9 south, 10, 11, 13A, 13B, 16, 17 and 22), ☏ . Baoshan's main bus station. Bus services are available to all major cities and towns in the region. There are also buses to Kunming and Chongqing.
Get around edit
- 1 Baoshan Museum (保山博物馆), Longyang Road, Longyang District (隆阳区隆阳路) (bus nos. 2A, 11 and 17 stop outside the museum; bus nos. 3, 4, 5, 13A, 13B and 16 stop nearby), ☏ . 08:30-11:30, 14:30-17:30. A small but comprehensive museum. Has exhibitions on the natural history of the prefecture, the ethnic minorities that inhabit the area, and Baoshan's experience during World War II. Free.
- 2 Baoshan Qinghuahai National Wetland Park (保山青华海国家湿地公园), Longyang District (隆阳区) (take bus no. 7, 8, 10, 11, 13A or 13B and alight near the amusement park), ☏ . Open all day. An important breeding ground for dozens of different bird species. The best time to see the birds is in the winter months. The park also includes some manmade attractions such as the Yongchang Pavilion. Free.
- 3 Guangzun Temple (光尊寺), Shike Village, Banqiao Town, Longyang District (隆阳区板桥镇世科村) (take bus no. 5 or 23 to Tongguang Road (通光路), then walk 1.7 km east). A rare mixed-religion temple dedicated to all 3 of China's main relgions: Confucianism, Taoism and Buddhism. The temple was established during the Tang Dynasty and rebuilt during the Qing Dynasty. During the Second World War, the temple was used as a command post by the Chinese Expeditionary Force. It is now a national heritage site. Free.
- 4 Taibao Park (太保公园), Baoxiu Road West, Longyang District (隆阳区保岫西路) (take bus no. 1, 9 or 9 north, get off outside the Baoshan People's Hospital, then walk west down Baoxiu Road West), ☏ . Open all day. One of Baoshan's oldest parks. The park is centered around Taibao Hill, a prominent hill in the middle of the city. The hill isn't hard to climb and you can get some good views of the city. Also within the park are several temples as well as a zoo and a museum. Entry to the park is free but some attractions within the park charge a small fee.
- 5 Jade Emperor Pavilion (玉皇阁), 132 Baoxiu Road West, Longyang District (隆阳区保岫西路132号) (near the eastern entrance to Taibao Park). A large Taoist temple dating from the Ming Dynasty. The Baoshan Taoist Association is based here. The temple should not be confused with the smaller and much more recently built Jade Buddha Temple that is just next door. Free.
- 6 Museum of Famous Historical Figures in Baoshan (保山历史名人博物馆). 08:30-11:30, 14:30-17:30. Displays busts of many of the famous people who have lived in Baoshan. Each bust has biographical information beneath it in Chinese and English. Free.
- 7 Taibao Park Zoo (太保公园动物园), 114 Baoxiu Road West, Longyang District (隆阳区保岫西路114号). A fairly typical old-style Chinese zoo featuring sad-looking animals in cramped spartan cages. Has bears, lions, monkeys, and other popular zoo animals. ¥20.
- 8 Wuhou Temple (武侯祠), ☏ . 07:00-17:00. A 19th century temple dedicated to Zhu Geliang, a famous statesman and military strategist of the Three Kingdoms period. Free.
- 9 Yiluo Pool (易罗池), 2 Longquan Road, Longyang District (隆阳区龙泉路2号) (take bus no. 10). 08:00-18:00. A small scenic lake on the south side of Yiluo Park. Surrounding features include a World War II memorial, a Buddhist temple and a pagoda. Free.
Go next edit
- Tengchong - the main tourist city in Baoshan Prefecture