Chuxiong (楚雄市; Chǔxióng Shì) is a city in Central Yunnan Province and the capital of the the Chuxiong Yi Autonomous Prefecture. It's a delightful town which doesn't see many western tourists.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
- 1 Chuxiong Railway Station (楚雄站, Chuxiong Station), North Side, National Highway 320 (320国道北侧) (Bus routes 9, 10, K1, K2, K3). This high-speed railway station, which opened in 2018, is now the only railway station in the city serving passenger trains. The old south and west stations (which still appear on maps) are no longer in use. Cities linked to Chuxiong by rail include Kunming (1 hour), Nanning (5 to 6 hours), Guilin (8.5 to 9 hours), Dali (1 hour), and Lijiang (2.5 hours).
- 2 Chuxiong Bus Station (楚雄客运站), 197 Lucheng Road West (鹿城西路197号) (The nearest public bus stop is the Prefecture Water Resources Bureau (州水利局) bus stop, which is served by bus routes 2, 11 and 17), ☏ . The city's main bus station. It is also known as the West Bus Station (西站). Buses arrive here from all over Yunnan Province.
- 3 Chuxiong Boarding Point for Special Public Bus Services (楚雄公交专线乘车点), Xiyuan Road (西园路), ☏ . Buses to Zixi Mountain Forest Park depart from here.
- 1 Longjiang Park (龙江公园), Lùchéng Běilù (鹿城北路) (Bus routes 1 and 6), ☏ . It's a park close to the river and the downtowny area. Free.
- 2 Chuxiong Yi Autonomous Prefecture Museum (楚雄彝族自治州博物馆), 471 Lucheng Nan Lu (鹿城南路471号) (Bus routes 1, 8, 13, 15, 16), ☏ . 09:00-17:00. Free.
- 3 Yiren Ancient Town (彝人古镇, Ancient Town of the Yi Nationality), Yong'an Road (永安路) (Bus routes 2, 5, 9, 12, 17), ☏ , , . Open all day. Not an actual ancient town, but an artificial one that was built in the early 21st century. Designed to showcase the culture of the Yi people (and of course make money from tourists). Cultural performances are held here every night, including a welcoming ceremony at 18:50 and dancing shows from 19:30 to 20:20. Free.
- 4 Chuxiong Confucius Temple (楚雄文庙), Lucheng Primary School, 180 Zhongda Street (中大街180号鹿城小学) (Bus routes 6, 8, 10, 15, 17. You will need to enter the school grounds in order to get to the temple). Accessible during school hours. Originally built in 1504, the temple was rebuilt in the 1680s after being damaged in an earthquake. Today, it is one of the very few historical sites in Chuxiong City to be included on China's national heritage list. Unfortunately, visitors may only view the temple from the outside. Free.
- 5 Zixi Mountain Forest Park (紫溪山森林公园) (About 20km from Chuxiong's urban area. A special bus service operates between the city and the park - see Getting Around section for info on where to catch the bus), ☏ . 07:30-18:00. Said to be the largest nature park in Yunnan Province. Covers an area of 16000 hectares and contains a wide variety of plant and animal species. Historically, the area was very important to Chinese Buddhists and at one time there were claimed to be 88 temples and 77 nunneries here. While the vast majority of Buddhist sites have been lost to history, a few have survived, most notably the Ziding Temple (紫顶寺), a large temple dedicated to the bodhisattva Maitreya. ¥30.
- 1 Hengdian Movie City - Zhaoshun No. 1 City Branch (横店电影城兆顺第一城店), 4th floor, Zhaoshun No. 1 City, Intersection of Lucheng Road South and Huancheng Road West (鹿城南路与环城西路交叉口兆顺第一城四楼) (Across the road from the south side of the Chuxiong People's Hospital. Bus routes 3, 4, 7, 10), ☏ .
- 2 Pacific Cinemas - Chuxiong Branch (太平洋电影城(云南楚雄店)), 4th floor, Building C, Tianhe Plaza, 80 Tuanjie Road North (团结北路80号天河广场C座4楼) (The nearest bus stop is the Tianhe Farmers Market (天河农贸市场) bus stop, which ihs served by bus routes 6 and 14), ☏ .
- 1 New Roking Plaza (新龙江广场), 2 Lùchéng Nánlù (鹿城南路2号) (At the intersection of Lùchéng Nánlù and Lùchéng Xīlù (鹿城西路)), ☏ . 09:30-22:00. This is a shopping center in the center of town. There is nothing special about it though.
Huidong Street (汇东街) is a small street with several cafés and bars. It runs north from the little lake at Lóngquán Lù (龙泉路).
- 1 Tropical Bush (热带丛林), Huidong Street (汇东街17-23号), ☏ . 11:30-14:00, 17:30-23:30. Tropical Bush seems to be a chain of cafés in Chuxiong. At least the one on Huidong Street is a café/bar with a jungle theme. All the walls are covered in dark photo wallpaper with bad lighting and the guests sit on swings at their tables. The "cappuccino" here is hilarious and highly recommended, even though it is not drinkable.
It is easy to find any kind of accommodation. This is especially true for an area of small streets north of the river called Fēngshèng Xiǎoqū (丰盛小区). Go to the intersection of Fēngshèng Lù (丰胜路) and Lóngjiāng Lù (龙江路) to get there. You will see several expensive Hotels (Jiudians) at those big streets at first. Go into the side streets northeast of the intersection to find dozens of cheap hotels (Lüguans and Binguans) from ¥20 there.
- 1 JP Hyllis Hotel (滇菌王·JP希丽酒店), West Gate, Yiren Ancient Town (彝人古镇西门) (Bus routes 3, 10, 12, 14), ☏ . Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Five-star hotel From ¥452.
- 2 Kaili Bouqtique Inn (楚雄彝州凯俪精品客栈, 楚雄凯俪彝人古镇精品客栈), Building D6, Yiren Ancient Town (彝人古镇D6幢) (At the intersection of Deyun Road East (德运东路) and Deyun Street South (德运南街)), ☏ . Check-in: 10:00, check-out: 14:00. From ¥170.
- 3 Xiongbao Hotel (雄宝酒店), 193 Lucheng Road East (鹿城东路193号) (At the intersection of Xiongbao Road and Lucheng Road East. A short distance from the East Bus Station. Bus nos. 2, 4 and 5 stop near the hotel), ☏ . Check-in: 10:00, check-out: 14:00. From ¥158.
- 4 Yongxing Hotel (永兴大酒店), 131 Lucheng Road North (鹿城北路131号) (Across the road from the west side of the North Bus Station. Public bus nos. 1, 6, 13 and 16 stop outside the hotel), ☏ . Check-in: 09:30, check-out: 13:00. From ¥136 (including breakfast).