Blandford Forum is a town in Dorset. The town is noted for its Georgian architecture
Blandford Forum suffered a major fire in 1731 which destroyed most of the town leaving 480 families homeless. The town was rebuilt in the next ten years in a grand Goergian style to the designs of local architect brothers John and William Bastard.
The town has a population of 10,600. A major local employer is the army which has a camp (opened in 1724) two miles outside the town.
There is no train service to Blandford Forum. The nearest main line station is at Salisbury or Wimborne Minster. The town is 15 miles (24 km) from Poole railway station and 15 miles (24 km) miles from Bournemouth Airport. In order to reach the town by public transport, it is possible to take the X8 service from Poole (hourly, takes 40 minutes), the 20 service from Salisbury (four trips per day, takes 52 minutes), the X10 from Yeovil (every two hours, 105 minutes), or the X12 from Weymouth (every two hours, 70 minutes).
Blandford Forum is a small town, and so sees a very limited bus service (only one route runs around the town every half hour). However, the town is small enough for walking to be convenient. There are also local taxi firms.
- 1 Royal Signals Museum, Blandford Camp, DT11 8RH, ☏ . All year: M-F 10AM-5PM; Feb-Oct: also on Sa Su 10AM-4PM. Museum about the army Royal Corps of Signals. The museum is inside an army camp and photo ID (passport etc) is required for entry. £8.
- 2 Blandford Town Museum, Beres Yard, Blandford Forum DT11 7HQ. Apr-Oct: M-Sa 10AM-4PM. Museum of town history with a model railway and Victorian child's playroom. free.
- 3 Blandford Fashion Museum, Lime Tree House, The Plocks. Mid-Feb - mid-Nov: M Th-Sa 10AM-4PM (to 5PM Apr-Sep). Ten-room museum of fashion history covering the period from 1740 to 1970. £5.
- 4 Church of St Peter and St Paul. Parish church designed and built by John and William Bastard between 1733 and 1739. The church has a particularly fine interior. Coffee is served in the church every Saturday 10A-noon.
- Great Dorset Steam Fair: 22–26 August 2019 (On the Salisbury Road). Steam fair, and show with many steam powered vehicles on Show. 2018 marked the 50th anniversary of this event with numerous full-size steam engines on display. (date needs updating)
There is a variety of restaurants and fast food in Blandford Forum. Try:
- Simla Tandoori, 12 West Street, ☏ , . Noon-2PM, 6PM-11PM.
Out of town
- 1 Lay-by food van, A354 (Where the Dorset-Hampshire border signs are on the road to Salisbury). Great road-side, cooked to order, bacon, egg and sausage sandwiches