Bloomfield Hills is a small city in Michigan near Pontiac. It is in the Detroit metropolitan area. It is surrounded by a second larger municipality, Bloomfield Township. Both municipalities share the Bloomfield Hills mailing address and are usually collectively referred to as Bloomfield Hills.
Bloomfield Hills is overwhelmingly residential, with even the majority of the Township's frontage along Woodward Avenue devoted to residential purposes. There is a small cluster of businesses and offices along Woodward where it meets Long Lake Road, roughly the geographic center of the City of Bloomfield Hills. There are additional Big Box commercial developments along Telegraph Road north of Square Lake Road and strip malls along Telegraph south of 15 Mile/Maple Road. These are all within Bloomfield Township.
Bloomfield Hills and Bloomfield Township are two of the wealthiest municipalities in the county, state, and even the United States.
Interstate 75 connects Bloomfield Hills to Detroit. Business route 75 connects I-75 to Woodward Avenue through Bloomfield Township along Square Lake Road.
The only public transit in Bloomfield Hills and Bloomfield Township is the SMART bus route along Woodward Avenue.
Much of Bloomfield Hills and Bloomfield Township was designed and built without sidewalks, although many sidewalks have been added to major roads within the past few years, the network of paths is not complete. There are also no bike lanes and traffic moves at a high speed on arterial roads, making it a challenging area to cycle in. It may be helpful if you want to bicycle through the area, to plan your route using minor residential streets instead of arterial roads.
For all practical purposes, most trips within the area require a car.
- 1 Cranbrook Art Museum, 39221 Woodward Ave, ☏ . Tu-Su 11AM-5PM. Stately and modern art museum in an idyllic suburban setting.
- 2 Cranbrook Institute of Science, 39221 Woodward Ave, ☏ . M-Th 10AM-5PM, F-Sa 10AM-10PM, Su noon-4PM. Small science museum with exhibits geared towards children.
- 3 Manresa Jesuit Retreat House, 1390 Quarton Rd, ☏ . M-F 7:30AM-4PM. Jesuit Catholic retreat space set on 39 wooded and landscaped acres along the Rouge River
- 4 Kirk in the Hills, 1340 W Long Lake Rd, ☏ . Presbyterian church featuring the world's largest carillon of bells, situated on the shores of a picturesque inland lake.
- 1 Buddy's Pizza, 3637 W Maple Rd (15 mile and Lahser). The original Detroit style Pizza place. Deep dish pizza with a deep crust. Constructed with a crisp exterior and a doughy interior Buddy's crust is not to be missed.
- 2 Bill's, 39556 Woodward Ave, ☏ . Excellent mixed cultures menu, slightly upscale but casual.