Borongan is perhaps known for its golden sunrises, so its nickname "City of the Golden Sunrise", also helped by the sunlight being reflected by the Pacific waters, but beyond that, there are some undiscovered natural wonders as well. The city is also a surfer's paradise, mostly frequented during the cool, rainy months, but it is not as known as places such as Siargao or Baler.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
Borongan is in the typhoon belt, and also an important location for typhoon tracking by the national weather forecaster PAGASA.
The climate is tropical with oceanic influence, having no dry season due to moist Pacific air causing frequently overcast, rainy conditions; however, the rainiest months are on the other way around, being between October and March, when the temperatures are cooler and the northeast monsoon is at full intensity. Average daytime highs during the drier months are sweltering 31.7–32.6 °C (89.1–90.7 °F), but still expect rainy afternoons with thunderstorms.
The peak season is during the rainiest months, with February and March the best times to visit, with not much high rainfall and more tolerable heat.
- 1 Borongan Airport. Has a 1,200 m (3,900 ft) runway, but no commercial flights. Cebu Pacific once served this airport using turboprop jets, but ceased service due to security concerns.
By bus or minivanEdit
Tricycles are available within town, with a base fare of ₱7/km.
- Cabong Beach (five-minute tricycle ride from town). Suitable for swimming.
- Metro Bank, Real Street. 24-hour ATM. Has a Master Card/Visa Card ATM.
- Wilsam Uptown Mall (Rizal Street National Highway.). 9AM-8PM. Has a supermarket.
- 578 Emporium Department Store and Supermarket, Cinco Street. 8am-8pm. Budget friendly store.
- Hotel Dona Vicenta, Real Street, ☏ . Check-out: noon. A/C single/double rooms with own bathroom and cable TV. from 995.
- Borongan Pensionne, Rizal Street National Highway.
- GV Hotel, Rizal Street National Highway, ☏ . Check-out: noon. Fan/air-con single/double rooms with own bathroom and cable TV. from ₱550.
- Domsowir Hotel, Real Street, ☏ . Check-out: noon. Fan/air-con single/double rooms with own bathroom. From ₱350.