Calbayog is a city in the province of Samar, Eastern Visayas. Philippines. Calbayog City is the first city in the province of Samar beating the then town of Catbalogan which is now a city. Calbayog City is home to many waterfalls. The Maharlika Highway (AH #26) passes this city.
- Most people speak and understand English, since the language is taught throughout elementary to college in the Philippines.
- 1 Calbayog Airport (CYP IATA). Cebgo has flights from Cebu while PAL Express has flights from Clark, both using turboprop aircraft.
- Since Calbayog is along the Maharlika Highway that connects the island of Luzon to Mindanao, plenty of buses run through Calbayog City going to Tacloban and Legazpi City. To get a ride, visit the bus terminal.
- Minivans are available for transport of passengers going to Tacloban, Catarman, Catbalogan.
- Van terminals are separate from each other and not within the bus terminal complex like the one in Tacloban City.
- Tricycles are available to anywhere in the city.
- Sts. Peter and Paul Cathedral
- Constructed in the 1800s, it became the see (central church) of the new Diocese of Calbayog in 1910. Considered to be the biggest church in Samar, the Saints Peter and Paul Cathedral was rebuilt and renovated through the years and evolved to a blending of many architectural eras. The structure reveals some are new and some are old. The old dome, the spire and the thick walls are what is left from the original Spanish-built old church. In general, the Spanish influence in the architecture is but revealing. Materials were from a scree formation or somewhat limestone or white rocks near Malajog.
The Controversial Jesus Christ and Mary Magdalene Landscape
- This image was taken from an antique painted frame located at the left side across the street of the Central Church (Sts. Peter and Paul Cathedral).
- The largest park in the city, it is named after the local hero Benedicto Nijaga. It is located beside the Calbayog River which separates Downtown and Brgy Obrero which leads to the northern parts of the city. The park also has an artificial replica of Bangon-Bugtong Falls. Nijaga is a local hero in Calbayog. The largest park in the city is named after him. A monument of Jose P. Rizal y Mercado y Navarro can be located here.
Sacred Heart (Julio Cardinal Rosales) Plaza
- Located across the Sts. Peter and Paul Cathedral and the City Hall. A conspicuous plaza with the image of the Sacred Heart where socio- civic and religious activities are held; its bright lights and relaxing ambiance attracts strollers. The plaza has been renovated and gated to include a fountain, various amenities and a more relaxing atmosphere.
Calbayog Zipline and the Malajog Ridge Nature Park
- The Calbayog City Zip goes from a mountain in Malajog Beach down to the nearby island. It uses a jacket like carrier attached to a roller with the steel cable. You are towed by a rope from above the highest elevation and then down to the island were you will take a boatride going back to the coastline of Malajog Beach. Malajog Ridge Nature Park is the source of the rocks used to build the St. Peter and Paul Basilica of Calbayog.
Natural tourist attractionsEdit
Calbayog is known as the city of water falls.
- Situated at the fringes of Barangay Longsob, Oquendo District. Accessible in a 30-minute ride to Cabugawan plus 50-minute hike to Lungsod Cave. Its large entrance leads to a natural tunnel with an uneven ceiling, some portions of which touching your head making for an eerie trip through the dark, cool interior.
Mapaso Hot Spring
- Located in Barangay Rizal II, Oquendo District. A 30-minute ride to Oquendo from Calbayog plus 15-minute hike to the spring. "Mapaso" literally means hot. Fresh crustaceans (pokot) abound. They are naturally pinkish resembling scalded shrimps due to the high temperature.
- Accessible in a 35-minute ride from Oquendo District, proper to Barangay Mawacat plus 25-minute walk along the foot trail lined with tall shady trees. It is a natural spoon-like formation which inclines more or less by about 45 degrees and stretches 50 meters long. Water flows along this giant cistern and from the top one can slide through the mossy lane to the cool inviting pool below.
- Located in Brgy. San Joaquin of Calbayog City, an hour-and-15-minute ride to Barangay Tinaplacan plus 45-minute walk to the vicinity of the falls. Among the family of waterfalls of Calbayog City, Bangon, Bugtong Falls is one of the most majestic and spectacular spots that is worth visiting. As you ascend the stream, you will see a circular pond about 30 meters in diameter, wide enough for swimming and deep enough for diving. The cascading water seems to come from streams flowing endlessly, resulting from the pressure of its disgorge, which becomes even bigger in volume and noticeable as the time of the day passes.
- Located in Barangay Cagbayang, Oquendo District, an hour drive from Calbayog City and 40-minute walk from the villages. A beautiful and scenic waterfall. This is a favorite picnic site of local residents and their source of potable water.
- Located in Danao, some 14 km toward the western coast of Calbayog City. Made up of seven chambers inhabited by various species of snakes and bats, as evidenced by a good deposit of guano. The cave serves as an initiating place for those who want to acquire a talisman.
- Located within the Calbayog Pan-as–Hayiban Protected Landscape in Brgy. Pilar, Oquendo District, an hour drive from the Calbayog City proper plus 1-hour walk onwards from the village. These falls are the primary source of water for its residents. At places where the cataract is so high, the water falling into the pool below becomes a mere mist.
- Located in Brgy. Maguino-o, Tinambacan District, Calbayog City, it is separated from the mainland by the Silangan Channel. A potential deep diving spot, about 40 to 50 meters from the water surface and measuring less than a hectare in area. The islet is surrounded with aquifers equally and uniformly spread at the peripheral limits of the islet with white sand and pebbles. Beneath the deep waters are sea corals of multifarious varieties, rare white pebbles spread all over the floors, 20 types of shells, and ornamental types of aquamarine species – which can all be explored by the diver for as long as in his underwater gear.
- Located in Barangay Lungsod, Oquendo District, Calbayog City. "Tinago-an" means hiding place. Its natural dark tunnels offers excitement and thrill to adventurers.
- A 40-minute drive from Calbayog City. Grayish sand, blue waters, swaying palm trees, towering rocks, and three balconied cottages give this spot a South Sea island appeal. Magnificent view of sunset behind nearby islands. Made famous by the visits of VIPs, movie stars, and diplomats.
- A 45-minute ride to Barangay San Joaquin, Tinambacan District from Calbayog City proper and a 25-minute hike onward to the falls. It is separated from the mainland by the Silangan Channel. A series of towering altars of rugged stones where between its depressions flow ribbon-like cool water that appears to cleanse the hair of a legendary lady. A source of potable water for local folks.
- A 45-minute drive from Calbayog City proper to Sigo plus 30-minute hike to Ton-ok falls. A scenic waterfall hidden in lush tropical vegetation. A source of hydroelectric power.
- A ten-minute drive from Calbayog City proper. Cottages line its grayish sandy shore. Its cool fresh water, scenic view of Samar Island attracts picnickers and beachcombers.
- A 20-minute walk or 7-minute drive from Calbayog City proper. It is located along the Maharlika Highway. An uncrowded pearl white strip of coastline with coconut trees offering a scenic view of islands and towns.
- Located at Calbayog City, near Malajog beach.
- Located in Barangay Malaga, Tinambacan District, the most beautiful waterfall in Calbayog City.
- Gaisano Super Metro Supermarket, Magsaysay Blvd. 8AM-9PM.
- Metro Bank, Rosales Blvd. 24 hour atm. Has a Master Card/Visa Card ATM.
- Gaisano Grand Mall, Gelera Street. 9AM-9PM. Has a supermarket.
- HELLO PO, Gomez Street. 7AM-10PM. breakfast 7AM-11AM
- Mang Inasal fastfood, Navarro Street. 9AM-9PM.
- Ciriaco Hotel, Km 745 Maharlika Highway, Brgy Bagacay, ☏ . Deluxe and Superior Rooms, all equipped with Air-conditioning, Internet connection and Cable TV. Facilities and services are Cafe Elsa restaurant, Business center, Wi-Fi Internet service and Spa. From ₱2100.
- Meldas Lodge, corner Orquin and Nijaga Street., ☏ , (cell phone). Fan single rooms with out side bathrooms. Fan double rooms with out side bathrooms. ₱300/₱450.
- Is plant hotel, brgy carmen., ☏ . A/C matrimonial bed with own bathroom. Has a swimming pool. ₱700.
- San Joaquin Inn.
- Sigma Lodge, Burgos Street. from ₱500.
- Eduardos Touirst Hotel, Pajarito Sreet. from ₱500.
- Marju Kristel Resort Hotel, Maharika Highway. Fan single/double room with own bathroom. from ₱350.
- Social Hygiene Clinic & City Health office. City Hall compound. S P Jose Avelino Avenue. phone +63 55-2091267. free HIV testing.
- Bureau of Immigration Calbayog Office. Room 201. 2nd floor. Calbayog City Convention Center. phone +63 55-2093310.