- "Windermere ought to be seen both from its shores and from its surface. None of the other Lakes unfold so many fresh beauties to him who sails upon them. This is owing to its greater size, to the islands, and to its having two vales at the head, with their accompanying mountains of near equal dignity. Nor can the grandeur of these terminations be seen at once from any point, except from the bosom of the Lake." – William Wordsworth in Guide to the Lakes.
It is about a mile from the Windermere railway station which links to Oxenholme (near Kendal) on the west coast main line. One can walk, if one likes, from Windermere station to Bowness. Alternatively, buses are available every 20 minutes from the railway station to the ferry jetty. Taxis are also available. If there is a group of 4-5 people, taxis may be economically more viable, because buses would cost almost as much.
A car ferry operates daily (except 25, 26 Dec) from Far Sawrey, running approximately every 20 minutes between 06:50 and 20:50 Mon-Sat, starting at 09:10 on Sun and with later sailings in summer. Cars £4.20, pedestrians 50p.
- The main attraction of Bowness-on-Windermere is the ferry. The most popular and widely used service is from Bowness-on-Windermere to Ambleside. The ferry trip is an experience of a lifetime, offering a faboulous ride across a wonderful lake. Tickets are available for an one-way trip or a return trip. Some people prefer to return by ferry, others move ahead from Ambleside to other places such as Rydal Mount, Grasmere, or Keswick, or even return from Ambleside to either Bowness-on-Windermere or Windermere town by bus or taxi. There are a number of other ferry trips.
- Bowness Taxis, 1 Lake Road, Bowness-On-Windermere, Cumbria LA23 3AP, Telephone +44 15394 46664.
- Abacus Taxis, ☏ .
- Boat rides on the Lake (Windermere).
- Visit the Glebe for a picnic on a sunny day.
- Lakeside aquarium. Access by ferry or train.
- Visit the Beatrix Potter Museum.
Shopping for touristy things as well as luxury chocolates and icecream.
There are numerous small eateries around the ferry jetty offering all types of fast food. Try the fish and chips. However those who prefer to go to a proper place to eat may try out one of the following and numerous other restaurants.
- Stefans Bistro, ☏ .
- Villa Positano, ☏ .
- The China Boat, ☏ .
- Rastellis, ☏ . Italian
- Jade Delight, ☏ .
- Nissi Restaurant, ☏ .
- Rumours Pizzeria, ☏ .
- Jacksons Brasserie, ☏ .
- Messinas, Bowness, ☏ .
- Jintana Thai Restaurant, ☏ .
- Linthwaite House, ☏ .
Almost all restaurants and hotels have bars.
The place is full of hotels and lodges many of them offering bed and breakfast options. Some prefer this place to Windermere, which is not on the lake. However, even if one stays in Windermere, it takes just minutes to reach the lake.
- Best Western Burn How Hotel, ☏ , fax: . Tariff £45-85 per person per day. It also offers vegetarian food.
- Beechwood Guest House, Beresford Road, LA23 2JG, fax: . Tariff £27-55, extra during holidays/ weekends.
- Belsfield Hotel, Kendal Road, LA23 3EL, ☏ . Hotel opened in 1892 in a house built in 1845, and recently refurbished by Laura Ashley designers. rooms from £119, restaurant dinner £40 for 5 courses, brasserie mains around £15.
- Elim Bank Hotel, Lake Road, LA23 2JJ, ☏ . Fine Victorian Lake District House offering a warm welcome, 7 en-suite bedrooms and excellent breakfasts. Tariff From £35ppn.
- Meadfoot, New Road (main road between Windermere and Bowness), Windermere LA23-2LA, ☏ , fax: . Bed & Breakfast from£20 to £30 per person per night.
- Laurel Cottage, St.Martins Square, Kendal Road, LA23 3EF, fax: . Bed & Breakfast from £26 to £45 per person per night.
- 1 Lindeth Howe, Lindeth Drive, Longtail Hill, Bowness-on-Windermere, Cumbria LA23 3JF, ☏ .
- 2 Oakbank House, Helm Road, LA23 3BU, ☏ , fax: . Bed & Breakfast. from £85 per room per night.
- Blenheim Lodge, Brantfell Road, LA23 3AE, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Bed and breakfast in rooms with Lake Windermere views. from £60.
- Craig Manor Hotel, Lake Road, LA23 2JF, ☏ . Country hotel overlooking Lake Windermere Rooms from £79 per night.
- The Fairfield Garden Guest House, Brantfell Road, LA23 3AE, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Bed & Breakfast from £29 to £40 per person per night.
- Fair Rigg Guest House, Ferry View, LA23 3JB, ☏ . Tariff £32-40 per person per night.
- The Willowsmere, Ambleside Road, Windermere (On A591 300metres form Windermere Town Centre), ☏ . Check-in: 14.00, check-out: 10.30. Traditional Lakeland Guest House, Family run warm welcome £32-55.