Brackley Beach and Stanhope are small farming communities and popular vacation spots on the north shore of Prince Edward Island. Stanhope, and the neighbouring villages of Covehead, Grand Tracadie, and Pleasant Grove, are part of the Rural Municipality of North Shore.
Brackley Beach, formerly Brackley Point, is approximately 10 km (6 mi) north of the community of Brackley, from which it derives its name. It is bordered on the north by Prince Edward Island National Park which is home to sand dunes, barrier islands and sandspits, beaches, sandstone cliffs, wetlands and forests. The Brackley Beach area became a popular vacation spot in the late 19th century, and its shoreline was designated as part of the national park in 1937. Activities include deep sea fishing, bike, canoe and kayak rentals, horseback riding, campgrounds, several restaurants and dairy bars as well as Prince Edward Island's only drive-in theater.
Stanhope is the original home of the first major groups of British emigrants who settled in Prince Edward Island in 1770, and was once a local hotsport during PEI's rum-running era. It is now a popular summer vacation location and home to Stanhope Beach (inside Prince Edward Island National Park), which is less busy than Brackley or Cavendish Beaches.
Brackley Beach is 21 km (13 mi) north of downtown Charlottetown on Route 15, passing the Charlottetown Airport (YYG IATA). Stanhope is 21 km (13 mi) northeast of downtown Charlottetown via Route 2 and Route 25.
Brackley Beach and Stanhope are about 10 minutes apart and are connected by Route 6. The two communities and beaches are also connected by the Gulf Shore Parkway in Prince Edward Island National Park.
- 1 Brackley Drive-In Theatre, 3164 Brackley Point Road, Brackley Beach, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. At dusk, enjoy two first-run movies in one of the most unique drive-in theatres in Canada. Full-service canteen. Don't forget your favorite blanket and pillow, or lawn chair to sit outside. Open May-September. Adults (15+)-$12; children (5-14)-$7.50; children (under 4)-free; car load (up to 5 people)-$35.
- 2 Covehead Harbour Lighthouse, Gulf Shore Parkway (inside Prince Edward Island National Park). The Covehead Harbour Lighthouse is square, tapered, 8.2-metre (26.9-ft) tall wooden tower surmounted by a square, wooden lantern. It is located among the sand dunes of Prince Edward Island National Park of Canada, on the beach just to the east of the entrance into Covehead Bay.
- See also: Prince Edward Island National Park for beach information
- Brackley Beach Ceilidh, 3330 Brackley Point Road, Brackley Beach. Music and inspiration come together, hosted at the Brackley Beach Community Centre every Monday and Wednesday from late-June to mid-September
- 1 Stanhope Golf & Country Club, 2961 Bay Shore Road, Stanhope, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ email@example.com. Open May 1-Oct 31. Stanhope Golf & Country Club overlooks the cliffs of Covehead Bay and is a few minutes from north shore National Park beaches.
- 1 The Dunes Studio Gallery & Cafe, 3622 Brackley Point Road, Brackley Beach, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. May/Oct: Daily 9AM-6PM; June/Sept: Daily 9AM-9PM; July/August: Daily 9AM-10PM. Cafe (open from the beginning of June) and gallery (open 9AM-6PM from the beginning of May) that features a number of local artists, furniture, and some imported crafts. There are also water gardens on the grounds.
- 1 Blue Water Grill, 7 Wharf Road, Stanhope, ☏ .
- 2 The Dunes Studio Gallery & Cafe, 3622 Brackley Point Road, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. June/Sept: Daily 11:30PM-9PM; July/August: Daily 10:30AM-10PM; Sept: Daily 11:30PM-9PM; Oct: Daily 11:30AM-4PM;.
- 3 Richard's Fresh Seafood, 9 Wharf Road, Stanhope, ☏ .
- 1 Vacationland RV Park & Family Campground, 29 Vacationland Lane, Brackley Beach, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2 Almost Home Cottages, 3001 Brackley Point Road, Brackley Beach, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ email@example.com.
- 3 Bayside Cottages, 3396 Bayshore Road, Stanhope, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 4 By the Bay Cottages, 3116 Bayshore Road, Stanhope, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ email@example.com.
- 5 Centennial Cottages, 2996 Brackley Point Road, Brackley Beach, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 6 Cresent Isle Cottages, 623 Queen’s Point Road, Grand Tracadie, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 7 Gulf Shore Cottages, 3512 Bay Shore Road (Route 25), Stanhope, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 8 Island Life Cottages, 27 MacMillan Point Road (Route 252), ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ email@example.com.
- 9 John B's Waterfront Cottages, 64 Tamarack Drive, Grand Tracadie, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 10 MacCallum's Cottages, 2989 Brackley Point Road, Brackley Beach, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 11 Parkside Cottages & Suites, 25 Roberts Road, Stanhope, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 12 [dead link] Shady Acres Cottages, 25 Shady Acres Drive, Brackley Beach, ☏ .
- 13 Stanhope Cottages, 34 Carlie Lane, Stanhope, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ email@example.com.
- 14 Sweet Dreams Cottages, 30 Shady Acres Drive, Brackley Beach, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hotels & motelsEdit
- 15 [dead link] Baywatch Light House and Cottages, 3805 Portage Road, Brackley Beach, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ email@example.com.
- 16 Brackley Country Inn & Suites, 3164 Brackley Point Road, Brackley Beach, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 17 Brackley Beach North Winds Inn & Suites, 3828 Portage Road, Brackley Beach, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ email@example.com.
- 18 Shaws Hotel & Cottages, 99 Apple Tree Road, Brackley Beach, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Canada's Oldest Family-operated inn.
- Visit the Anne of Green Gables monument in Cavendish or hit the beach in Prince Edward Island National Park.
|Routes through Brackley Beach-Stanhope|
|Cavendish ← North Rustico ←||W E||→ ENDS at W E|
|END ← Prince Edward Island National Park ←||N S||→ Charlottetown → END|