|Climate chart (explanation)|
Cavendish is a small community north shore of Prince Edward Island, Canada. Cavendish is the largest seasonal resort area in Prince Edward Island with an average daily population in the months of July and August of approximately 7,500 residents.
Cavendish originated as a small farming community throughout the 19th and first half of the 20th centuries, and became famous in 1908 for its place in literature as the home of the Green Gables farmhouse in Lucy Maud Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables books, which describe a town "Avonlea" based on Cavendish, PEI. Prince Edward Island National Park was established in 1937 to protect the homestead and the ecologically-sensitive sandy beaches and dunes along the surrounding coastline. Green Gables Heritage Place and the adjacent golf course are within the park.
Subsequent development between the 1950s-1990s saw motels, campgrounds, amusement parks and other attractions, shopping facilities, and bars and restaurants built. During any given week in July and August, the community's population expands as tens of thousands of tourists flock to the national park and local attractions. Many of these businesses are seasonal and highly tourist-oriented, closing for the winter when the park closes in late September.
Cavendish has a mild climate due to the warm waters of the Gulf of St. Lawrence. The summer is the best time to visit, with temperatures ranging from 20–34 °C (68–93 °F) and the warmest waters north of the Carolinas. Winters are much colder, with temperatures ranging from −3 – −11 °C (27–12 °F), but cold winds can make it feel more like −25 °C (−13 °F).
Cavendish is about 40 minutes from Charlottetown, follow Route 7 runs north to Route 6 at Oyster Bed Bridge, then travel west. From Borden-Carleton and the Confederation Bridge, follow the Trans-Canada Highway to Route 13 at Crapaud, then travel north.
Most business and attractions are located along Route 6 (Cavendish Road).
- 1 Green Gables Heritage Place, 8619 Cavendish Road, Cavendish, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. May 1-Oct 31: daily 9AM-5PM; Nov 1-30: open by special appointment only; Dec 1 2017-Apr 14 2018: closed for the season. Author Lucy Maud Montgomery visited the farm as a young girl and based the location of her best-selling "Anne" series of books on the Green Gables farm. The farmhouse exterior has not changed significantly over time, and its interior decor and artifacts depict the late Victorian Period in rural Prince Edward Island.
- 2 L.M. Montgomery's Cavendish Home, 8521 Cavendish Road, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Home of L.M. Montgomery, author of Anne of Green Gables.
- Maritime Fun Group, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Collection of family attractions throughout PEI and New Brunswick with combination passes available.
- 1 Cavendish Beach Adventure Zone, 18 Moore Road. Laser tag, mini golf, and a haunted house.
- 2 Mariner’s Cove Mining Company, 8863 Cavendish Road (Mariner's Cove Boardwalk). Simulation of old time mining.
- 3 Ripley's Believe it or Not! Odditorium, 8863 Cavendish Road (Mariner's Cove Boardwalk).
- 4 Sandspit Amusement Park, 8986 Cavendish Road. Open June-Sept, check website for hours. Amusement park with a range of rides, including a roller coaster & bumper boats, plus go-karts.
- 5 Shining Waters Family Fun Park, 8885 Cavendish Road. Mid-Jun to early Sep: daily 10AM-6PM or 7PM. Over 40 wet and dry activities. Non-seniors: under 36 in (0.91 m) tall free, 36" to 42 in (1.1 m) tall $16, 42" to 48 in (1.2 m) $21, over 48" $24, family of 4 $83; seniors (65+) $16;.
- 6 Wax World of the Stars, 8863 Cavendish Road (Mariner's Cove Boardwalk). Wax museum with the likeness of various celebrities.
- 7 PEI Kitebording, 8509 Cavendish Road, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 8 Anderson's Creek Golf Club, 68 North Road (Route 240), Stanely Bridge (10 minutes SW of Cavendish), ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A Graham Cooke designed championship golf course; 18-hole, par 72.
- 9 Eagles Glen of Candish Golf Course, 374 Eagles Glenn Blvd, Cavendish, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ email@example.com. A Graham Cooke designed championship golf course; 18-hole, par 72.
- 10 Green Gables Golf Club, 8727 Route 6, Cavendish, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 18-hole, par 72; views of Anne of Green Gables House, Cavendish Beach Dunes and the Gulf of St. Lawrence.
- 1 Anne of Green Gables Store, 8779 Route 6. Located in Green Gables Heritage Place, we offer a selection of all things "Anne." You'll find exclusive Anne products: dolls, books, posters. DVDs, CDs, souvenirs and much more.
- 2 Avonlea Village, 8779 Route 6 (Cavendish Road), ☏ . Jun 18-30: Daily 10AM-6PM; July-August: Daily 10AM-8PM; Sept 1-5: Daily 10AM-6PM. Shops and restaurants in beautiful historic buildings and historically correct new buildings. Green Gables Gift Shop, Cows of PEI Ice Cream, Boom Burger. Shops other than the gift shop are open only in summer.
- 3 Cavendish Tourist Mart, 8934 Cavendish Road, ☏ . Grocery, souvenirs, T-shirts, liquor agency. Seasonal.
- 4 North Shore Surf Company PEI, 8572 Cavendish Road (Corner of Route 6 & 13), ☏ . Clothing, souvenirs, surf boards and equipment.
- 1 Chez Yvonne's Restaurant, 8947 Route 6, Cavendish, ☏ . Jun Sep: 8AM-8:30PM; Jul Aug 7:30AM-9PM. Green lobster dinners, seafood, steaks. Breakfast $8-16, mains $15-32.
- 2 [formerly dead link] Captain Scott's Fish & Chips, 9139 Cavendish Road (Cavendish Boardwalk), ☏ . M-Th 11AM-6:30PM, F Sa 7AM-7:30PM. Fish and chips, lobster rolls, burgers.
- 3 Island Favourites, 8989 Cavendish Rd, ☏ . Tu-Su 11AM-5PM. Specializing in lobster rolls.
- 4 The Ship's Company Pub & Galley, 8863 Cavendish Rd (Rte 6), ☏ . Daily 11AM-8PM. Open May-Sep.
Bed & breakfastEdit
- 1 The Graham Inn, 7910 Cavendish Road, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ email@example.com.
- 2 Kindred Spirits Inn & Cottages, 46 Memory Lane, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Four-star cottages and rooms located in the heart of Cavendish.
- 3 Parkview Farm Tourist Home & Cottages, 8214 Cavendish Road, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ email@example.com.
- 4 Cavendish Country Inn & Cotteges, 8405 Cavendish Road, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Set on more than 3 hectares of grounds, this property offers views of the Gulf of St. Lawrence. 6 km from Cavendish Beach.
- 5 Marco Polo Land Inn, 7406 Route 13, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ email@example.com. 618 RV/camping sites, 12 cabins and a 6 bedroom inn.
- 6 Montgomery Cavendish Cottages, 68 Sunset Lane, ☏ . In the Cavendish National Park (entry to the National Park is free when staying at the cottages). 5 deluxe, comfortable, fully equipped two-bedroom, two-bath cottages 100 metres from the Atlantic Ocean. Late Jun-late Aug: $225 + tax per night, $1575 + tax per week.
- 7 Sundance Cottages, 34 MacCoubrey Lane, ☏ , toll-free: . Spacious, air-conditioned, one- to four-bedroom cottages. Complete kitchens, dishwasher, queen-size beds, some with whirlpool tubs and propane fireplaces, picnic tables, barbecues, decks with ocean view. Play area, heated pool, kiddie pool, hot tub, wireless internet, laundromat, mountain bikes. From $140.
- 8 Resort at Cavendish Corner (formerly Shining Waters Country Inn & Cottages), 7600 Cawnpore Lane, ☏ , toll-free: . May-Oct. 38 one- to-three bedroom cottages, a 13 room historic Country Inn with luxury suites, and 10 modern motel rooms. 2 pools, exercise room, outdoor play areas, fire pits and free Wi-Fi. From $80.
- 9 Lakeview Lodge & Cottages, 8715 Cavendish Road, Cavendish, ☏ , toll-free: . Free WiFi. Cavendish Beach is 3 miles from the accommodation. From $60.
|Routes through Cavendish|
|END ← Kensington ←||W E||→ North Rustico → Charlottetown via|
|END ← Prince Edward Island National Park ←||N S||→ New Glasgow → Ends at E W|
|Cavendish, Prince Edward Island|