town in Prince Edward Island, Canada
Kensington is a town of 1,600 people (2016) in Prince County in western Prince Edward Island. Every year, it draws crowds of fans of the "Anne of Green Gables" novels (and films, and TV series).
This article also covers the rural area along the north shore of Prince Edward Island between Malpeque Bay and New London Bay.
Kensington is on Route 2 at the junction of Routes 6 and 20, 15 km (9 mi) east of Summerside and 48 km (30 mi) west of Charlottetown. Route 20 follows the North Shore between Malpeque Bay and New London Bay, while Route 6 takes over following the North Shore east of New London en route to Cavendish.
- A total solar eclipse on Monday 8 April 2024 starts at 4:37PM local time and lasts one minute. The chances of a clear sky are 35%. The track of totality is northeast from Mexico and Texas to Ohio, straddling the Canada–New England border, then across Maine, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland.
- 1 Anne of Green Gables Museum (Anne of Green Gables Museum at Silver Bush), 4542 Route 20, Park Corner (12 km NW of Kensington via Route 101 OR 21 km NW of Kensington via Route 20), ☏ +1 902-886-2884, toll-free: +1 800-665-2663, email@example.com. Jul-Aug: 9AM-5PM; Victoria Day (late May)-Jun and Sep-Thanksgiving (mid-Oct): 11AM-4PM. This historic house, the setting for Lucy Maud Montgomery novels Pat of Silver Bush and Mistress Pat, is a museum housing editions of the author's books, personal correspondence and family heirlooms. Wedding venue (her 1911 wedding was held in the drawing room), flower gardens, souvenir shop, playground, carriage rides. $6, children $2.
- Matthew's Carriage Rides, ☏ +1 902-886-2884, toll-free: +1-800-665-2663. Enjoy Matthews Carriage Ride with "Matthew" as your guide and driver where you will view the Lake of Shining Waters, drive through beautiful flower gardens and be driven around the Anne of Green Gables Museum property. Private carriage ride can include up to 4 adults. By appointment; $85 (half-hour), $135 (1 hour).
- 2 Haunted Mansion, 81 Victoria St W, Kensington, ☏ +1 902-836-3336. June: 10AM-5PM; July-August: 10AM-7PM; September (1st week): 10AM-5PM. Tour through Dr Jack's haunted mansion. Adult $17, senior (60+) $15, child (6-16 years) $10, child (under 5) free.
- 3 Kensington Veterans Memorial Military Museum, 86 Victoria St W, Kensington.
- 4 Kensington Railway Station (Kensington Railway Station National Historic Site), 62 Broadway St N, Kensington. Kensington Railway Station is a rare example of a "boulder station" built in the picturesque style in the heart of the town of Kensington next to the former railway tracks which are now part of the Confederation Trail. The station building has been used as a box office, library, tourist information centre, and as a storage site for the PEI Railway Heritage Association; it is now used as a restaurant.
- 5 Lucy Maud Montgomery Birthplace, 6461 Route 20, New London (11 km E of Kensington on Route 6), ☏ +1 902-886-2099, firstname.lastname@example.org. Lucy Maud Montgomery, author of Anne of Green Gables, was born in 1874 in this modest white and green house, decorated with authentic Victorian period pieces and overlooking New London Harbour. Special exhibits include the replica of the writer's wedding dress and personal scrapbooks containing copies of her many stories and poems. Browse through their books and gift selections.
- 1 Burlington Adrenaline Park, 1077 Route 234, Burlington (8 km NW of Kensington via Routes 101 and 234), ☏ +1 902-836-3098. Features three go-kart tracks, batting cages, kiddy go-karts, bumper cars, bumper boats, and mini golf.
- 2 Cabot Beach Provincial Park, Route 105, Malpeque Bay (15 km N of Kensington via Routes 20 & 105). Cabot Beach is the largest park in western PEI. The park has a large day-use area with an accessible beach with supervised swimming on scenic Malpeque Bay, playground equipment, and an activity centre with children's programs. Camping available.
- 3 Red Sands Golf Course, 27 Hurst Road, Clinton (9 km E of Kensington on Routes 2 & 107), ☏ +1 902-886-3344, toll-free: +1-877-886-3344, email@example.com.
- 1 Village Pottery, 10567 Route 6, New London (11 km E of Kensington on Route 6), ☏ +1 902-886-2473, firstname.lastname@example.org. PEI's longest-running pottery shop; featuring work of over 10 potters.
- 1 Go! Fish Eatery, 29 Commercial St, Kensington, ☏ +1 902-836-4168.
- 2 Island Stone Pub - Kensington Station, 62 Broadway St N, ☏ +1 902-836-3063.
- 3 Mary's Bake Shop, 37 Garden Drive, Kensington, ☏ +1 902-836-4214.
- 4 The Table Culinary Studio, 4295 Grahams Road (Rte 8), New London (11 km E of Kensington on Route 6), ☏ +1 647-920-1542, email@example.com. Open May 1-Oct 31. Winner of the 2017 Taste Our Island Award, The Table offers experiential cuisine dedicated to using and promoting local foods grown and harvested on PEI. During the day, The Table offers hands-on culinary classes and experiences that showcase fresh Island ingredients, teach cooking techniques, and immerse visitors in the food and tradition of PEI through interactive demonstrations and trips to local farms and fisheries. At night, The Table is transformed into an intimate Island restaurant for up to 18 guests.
- Malpeque Oyster Barn, Malpeque Harbour,, ☏ +1 902 836-3999. Open until 8PM. Malpeque oysters are known around the world for their large size, soft flesh and sweet, mild flavour. The freshest possible Malpeque oysters are served here. They also serve chowder, mussels, beer and sodas. Oysters are a bargain at $18/dozen.
- 1 Sou'West Bar and Grill, 6377 Route 20, New London (New London Wharf), ☏ +1 902-886-3000.
- 1 The Home Place Inn, 21 Victoria St E, Kensington, ☏ +1 902-836-5686, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Continue your Anne of Green Gables tour in Cavendish, or continue west to Summerside.
|Routes through Kensington|
|Tignish ← Summerside ←||W E||→ Charlottetown → Souris|
|END ←||W E||→ Cavendish → North Rustico|