Braintree is a town of 37,000 people (2019) on the South Shore in Southeastern Massachusetts. It is located along several major thoroughfares, making it convenient to Boston. Its scary-sounding name comes from Braintree in Essex, although that name's origin is obscure.
Interstate 93, U.S. Route 1, and State Route 3 converge in Braintree.
- 1 General Sylvanus Thayer Birthplace, 86 Washington Street, ☏ . Sylvanus Thayer (1785-1872) was dubbed "father of the military academy" at West Point because he thoroughly reorganized and put it on sound footing. He also endowed Thayer Academy in Braintree and Thayer School of Engineering at Dartmouth College in Hanover, NH.
- [dead link] F1, 290 Wood Road, ☏ . M-Th noon-11PM, F noon-midnight, Sa 9AM-midnight, Su 9AM-10PM. Two unique indoor kart race tracks complete with suits and helmets. Karts and track are scaled to give you a "real feel" racing experience. Full service restaurant with live entertainment and billiards available. Walk-in or open racing as well as leagues and team-building.
- Braintree Municipal Golf Course, 101 Jefferson Street, ☏ . 18 hole, par 72.
The South Shore Plaza shopping mall is on Route 37.
- Ascari at X1, 290 Wood Road (Exit 6. Trackside at X1), ☏ . $9-19.
- Jade Palace Super Buffet, 438 Quincy Avenue, ☏ .
- Jamie's Grill & Pub, 63 Columbian St, ☏ . at five corners. Wide range of choices and decent value.
- Konditor Meister, 32 Wood Road, ☏ . Fine pastries. Favorite of locals who often order their wedding or special occasion cakes here.
- Sintra, 906 Washington Street, ☏ . Small, forty seat place with top-notch chef who has a Portuguese bias. Casual atmosphere, but cloth napkins, attentive service, great wines and creative food. Entrees $20-30.
|Routes through Braintree|
|Boston ← Quincy ←||N S||→ Randolph → Canton|
|Boston ← Quincy ←||N S||→ Weymouth → Plymouth|
|END ←||N S||→ Holbrook → Brockton|
|Ends at ← Quincy ←||N S||→ Weymouth → Kingston|
|Downtown Boston ← Quincy ←||N S||→ END|
|END ← Boston ←||N S||→ Brockton → Hyannis|
|Boston ← Quincy ←||NW SE||→ Weymouth → Halifax|