Take California State Highway 299 east from Redding. It is 53.1 miles from there.
RABA is the only bus line that goes into Burney.
RABA goes into Burney via a route called the 'Burney Express'. It also has stops in Round Mountain, Bella Vista and Redding.
Burney is small, so it is good to walk, bicycle, or drive a car to get around.
- 1 Burney Falls, ☏ . Burney Falls is so spectacular, it has been called the 'Eighth Wonder of the World'. It is a twin waterfall at Lake Britton that stands 129 feet tall. It is accessible by foot, motor vehicle, horseback, or boat. If you are an avid hiker, the Pacific Crest Trail passes through the park.
- Subway Cave. Subway Cave is the largest resulting lava tube from the former Hat Creek flow. There is a self-guided tour available if you want it. The temperature inside is very cold year-round, so bring a jacket. Also bring a good flashlight, as most of the cave is completely dark. It is closed during winter.
- Hat Creek Observatory. The Hat Creek Radio Observatory is owned and operated by the University of California Berkeley. It is an Allen Telescope Array. Tours are available.
- Crystal Lake Fish Hatchery, ☏ . The activities here include fishing and boating in Baum Lake, hiking the nearby Pacific Crest Trail, picnicking, and simply watching the fish (or geese). You can go any time of the year
Water sports are highly popular, yet very enjoyable in and around Burney.
Check fishing reports often for best results. If you don't know where to find any, just ask the locals, who can help you as well.
For: Excellent trout fishing.
How: Best for fly-fishing.
When: Last Saturday of April-November 15
Where: Stretches from Lassen Park to just above Lake Britton.
Disadvantage(s): No matter when you go, it will be very crowded.
For: Mostly trout.
How: Use floaters on this river.
When: Same as Hat Creek (see above).
Where: Starts near Big Lake and empties out at the Pit River in Fall River Mills.
Disadvantage(s): Very crowded. Also, be sure to bring a floater, as it is virtually impossible to not float this stream.
For: Trout, bass, and crappie.
How: Use bait or tackle.
When: Same as Hat Creek.
Where: Near Burney.
Disadvantage(s): Crowded due to the nearby Burney Falls.
More Info: Call (530) 335-2777.
For: Mostly trout.
How: Fly fishing works well.
When: In the winter.
Where: Near Hat Creek, just outside of Burney.
Disadvantage(s): If you go in the winter, it will be very cold.
Boating in the Burney area is highly popular, but again, very rewarding. You can easily go fishing as well while boating for better results. Boating is virtually impossible on most of Hat Creek, but all other bodies of water listed above are available year-round for boating. Lake Baum is the least crowded.
There are two groups of hiking trails near Burney: the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) and the group of other trails near Burney Falls.
The Pacific Crest Trail, after coming east out of Lassen, comes to the Burney area, and passes right by Burney Falls.
There are three other trails: one goes down from the top of the falls, another (the shortest) goes to the base of the falls, and then there is the challenging Falls Loop Trail.
For more information about hiking in the Burney area, go to http://www.burney-falls.com/.
Safeway, Ben Franklin Sporting Goods, Ace Hardware, Rite Aid Pharmacy are all on the main road, Highway 299, through town.
The number of restaurants in Burney are few. Ask the locals what they think is the best place. If need be, or you don't want to ask around nor go to a fast-food place, your best bet is Deuel's Diner at 37314 State Highway 299, which is actually pretty decent.
- Green Gables Motel, 37385 Main St., ☏ . AAA-approved. Amenities: Hot Tub, King Size Room, Kitchen, Microwave, Pool, Queen beds w/ Microwave and Refrigerator, Refrigerator, Restaurants, TV, Cable, Coffee (in every room), Continental Breakfast
- Charm Motel and Suites, 37363 Main St., ☏ . AAA-approved. Amenities: Hot Tub, King Size Room, Kitchen, Microwave, Pool, Queen beds w/ Microwave and Refrigerator, Refrigerator, Restaurants, TV, Cable, Coffee (in every room), Continental Breakfast