Get in edit
By car edit
The City of Mount Shasta is located off of Interstate 5 about 60 miles (97 km) north of Redding, 220 miles (354 km) north of Sacramento, and less than 60 miles (97 km) south of the Oregon/California border.
By train edit
By plane edit
The closest major airport is Sacramento International Airport (SMF IATA), with the Reno-Tahoe International airport (RNO IATA) a good alternative. There are also smaller airports in Redding and Medford. In travelling to or from airports, be aware of road conditions. Especially in the winter, it is not uncommon for the roads to Reno or Medford to be closed or have chain restrictions.
Get around edit
The city is small, but you'll still need at least a bicycle to get around.
You can see views of Mt. Shasta and Black Butte throughout town.
- 1 Mount Shasta City Park, 1315 Nixon Rd, ☏ . Mount Shasta Big Springs at Mount Shasta City Park: At the foot of the mountain, there is a cold underground spring that comes to the surface with just-melted glacial water from the mountain that is deliciously clear. Bring containers to take some water with you, if you choose, though do take into account the sign that says drinking is at your own risk. This is also the headwaters of the Sacramento River.
- Mt. Shasta Sisson Museum, 1 N Old Stage Rd, ☏ . A local history museum and fish hatchery.
- Climb Black Butte or Mount Shasta. While the former is itself a strenuous 6 mile out and back trek, the latter requires great preparation, including as to gear and timing. It shouldn't be undertaken lightly because Mt Shasta is a serious mountain with steep pitches and snowfields, and all sorts of other hazards, that can kill. It's definitely advisable among other things to be in prime physical condition and go with others.
- Mountain Runner's 4th of July Fun Run & Walk - Annual July 4th event - 4 walks or races to participate in with great food and entertainment along the way including: gourmet snacks, jazz choirs, country music bands, individual singers & classical instrumentalists, clowns, magicians, church choirs and belly dancers, cheerleaders, gymnasts on the ground and surprises in the sky.
The town consists of several main commercial streets, a shopping center and dozens of tourist oriented hotels and stores.
- Vet's Club, 406 N Mount Shasta Blvd, ☏ . A sign says they are the oldest bar in Mount Shasta, has a cozy fireplace and gets busy on Friday nights
- Best Western The Tree House Motor Inn, 111 Morgan Way, ☏ , fax: .
Go next edit
- Hike on Mt. Shasta. A number of routes are possible, of varying degrees of difficulty. A person of decent fitness can do a bit of hiking on the mountain without great strain.
- McCloud, 8 miles away, has three waterfalls, a golf course and historic Main Street shopping.
|Routes through Mount Shasta|
|Medford ← Weed ←||N S||→ Dunsmuir → Redding|
|END ←||N S||→ McCloud → Truckee|