- Virac - the capital and largest town in Catanduanes.
- San Andres (Calolbon)
- San Miguel
- Panganiban (Payo)
|Climate chart (explanation)|
Catanduanes is at the center of the typhoon belt, and it is not unusual to experience a typhoon at any time of the year. However, its geographic location facing the open Pacific Ocean makes the island exposed to moist air that cause unpredictable rainy, overcast conditions, aside from those due to typhoons, all year.
The Catholic religion is heavily practiced throughout the island. Many of the major annual events and festivals center on religious holidays.
Two dialects of Bikol are spoken in Catanduanes:
- Pandan Bikol or Northern Catanduanes Bikol and
- Southern Catanduanes Bikol.
However, Tagalog and English are both widely spoken and understood.
Transportation options to the rest of the Philippines all connect through Virac.
The island's only airport is in the capital at Virac.
The primary mode of transportation in and around Catanduanes is by tricycle, which are motorcycles with an enclosed sidecar for passengers and are prevalent throughout the Philippines. Because the island is relatively unurbanized, many roads, especially those away from the major towns, are unpaved and are subject to wash-outs and mudslides during and after periods of heavy rain.
- Puraran Beach - Located on the eastern coast of the island, Puraran contains the famous Majestics surfing spot, which can have some very impressive waves but can also be dangerous, so it is only for the experienced surfer. There are several thatched-roof huts to sit at and enjoy the beach.
- Igang Twin Rock Beach Resort is located just south of Virac. There is a ₱50 entrance fee.
- Marinawa Falls is a set of cascading cataracts about 7 km north of Virac. It is possible to swim and bathe in the pools at the base of the waterfalls, and there are picnic areas.
- Mamangal Beach is another white sand beach close to San Andres town.
- San Miguel River Park The San Miguel River Park (SMRP) is a nature preserve fresh water adventure park and resort in Catanduanes. San Miguel River Park offer tubing, kayaking, white water rafting adventures and waterfalls hopping. SMRP is located at bgy. Kilikilihan, municipality of San Miguel. The San Miguel river is the longest freshwater stream in Catanduanes.
- Bato Church - one of the earliest churches built by the conquering Spaniards.
- Virac Cathedral - in the center of Virac