town in Kent, England, United Kingdom
Chatham is a town on the River Medway in the north of the English county of Kent, UK. Together with its neighbouring towns of Rochester and Gillingham it forms a large urban area known as the Medway Towns.
- From London, take the A2 arterial road (32 mi, 51 km).
- From Canterbury, take the A2 and the M2 to Junction 3 for the Rochester exit (32 mi, 51 km, about 40 min).
- 1 Chatham (CTM) Station, Railway Street, ME4 6PN (south of the Town Centre shopping area). Trains are operated by SouthEastern. Car park £6 per day.
- Fast trains operate from London Victoria (typical journey time 45 - 60 minutes) and slower stopping trains from London Charing Cross, London Waterloo and London Bridge via Dartford (typical journey time 60 - 65 minutes). Trains from Ramsgate & Dover Priory also serve Chatham.
- 1 The Historic Dockyard, Western Avenue, ME4 4TY (the entrance at Main Gate – off Dock Road, is for tenants and residents only), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Hours and days vary - See website. An old naval dockyard now run as a museum. All tickets are valid for 12 months - adults: £24; senior citizens, HM Forces and veterans (with ID) and students: £21.50; children (aged 5 – 15 years): £14; family (2 adults and 2 children or 1 adult and 3 children): £63.
- 2 Fort Amherst, Dock Road, ME4 4UB, ☏ . Open daily in summer.
- 3 Nucleus Arts Centre, 272 High St, ME4 4BP, ☏ . M-Sa 10AM-4PM. Arts centre with studio space for artists, exhibition gallery and cafe. Occasional film screenings in a popup cinema.
- 1 Pentagon Shopping Centre (The Pentagon), Pentagon Shopping Centre, ME4 4HY, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 8AM-7PM, Sa 8AM-6PM, Su 10AM-2PM. 20p - toilets.
- 2 Dockside Outlet Centre (Dockside), Maritime Way, Chatham Maritime, ME4 3ED, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-F 10AM-7PM, Sa 9AM-6PM, Su 11AM-5PM.
- 1 Copper Rivet Distillery, Pump House no. 5, Chatham Dockyard, Leviathan Way, ME4 4LP (near the outlet centre), ☏ . W 2PM, Th F 6PM; Sa 2PM, 4PM and 6PM. Gin distillery. The gin is flavoured with juniper, elderflower, coriander, orange, lemon, cardamom, grains of paradise from Africa, angelica root and orris root. tour £12.
- 1 Medway Youth Hostel, Capstone Road, Gillingham, ME7 3JE, ☏ . 40-bed summer hostel about 4 miles from Chatham, housed in a districtive converted Oast House in a semi-rural setting.
Bed and BreakfastsEdit
- 2 St George Hotel, 7-8 New Road, Avenue, ME4 6BB, ☏ . About 5 minutes walk from Chatham station. Single rooms £40, doubles £60.
- 3 Holiday Inn Rochester, Maidstone Road, ME5 9SF, ☏ . Modern hotel about 4 miles from the town centre.
- 4 Travelodge Chatham Maritime, Western Avenue, Chatham Historic Dockyard, ME4 4NT, ☏ . Near the entrance to the Dockyard and Dicken's World, and 1-2 miles from the town centre. Rooms about £60 without breakfast.
- 5 Bridgewood Manor Hotel, ME5 9AX, ☏ .
|Routes through Chatham|
|London ← Strood ←||NW SE||→ Sittingbourne → Dover|