Like with most of the Hampton Roads area, it is difficult to get around Chesapeake without the use of a car. Hampton Roads Transit does service some areas of the city, which can be found here HRT.
There are numerous road systems that are available to get in and out of Chesapeake. The most popular of these is the Hampton Roads belt way, which consists of I-64 (on the east side of the city), I-664 (on the west side of the city), and I-464 on the Norfolk/Chesapeake border. US-13/460/58 is the system of roads that connect Chesapeake to Suffolk and provide service to other parts of the state. US-13 connects to Northeastern North Carolina; US-460 connects to Petersburg; US-58 connects to Emporia and Southside Virginia. VA-168, also known as the Chesapeake Express way (or bypass to locals) provides service to south Chesapeake and to the Outer Banks of North Carolina and is the only toll road in the Hampton Roads area. The toll for the Express way is located on the border between Virginia and North Carolina, travellers are not obligated to pay the toll unless they stay on the road that goes through the toll station.
The Hampton roads area, especially in Chesapeake, is known for the numerous bridges and tunnels, which can be confusing to anyone not familiar with the local roads. Chesapeake has several bridges over the Elizabeth River, and it is crucial to know which one to take in order to avoid long delays or getting lost.
- Broken Egg Bistro, 501 Kempsville Rd, ☏ . Consistently voted "best breakfast in Chesapeake," Broken Egg Bistro turns out some of the best breakfast in all of Hampton Roads. Also has a great lunch menu with a large selection of speciality sandwiches and burgers.
- Simply Thai Cuisine, 236 Carmichael Way #322, ☏ . M-TH 11am-10pm, Fri 11am-10:30pm, Sat 12pm-10:30pm, Sun 12pm-9pm. Thai Cuisine serves soups, salads, curries, stir fry, fried rice, duck, seafood, noodle dishes, and vegetarian specials. $5-17.
- Marriott Chesapeake, 725 Woodlake Dr, ☏ . Chesapeake's only full service hotel boasts a sophisticated environment for successful corporate events
- [formerly dead link] Cedar Tree Inn and Suites, 721 Conference Center, ☏ . Magnuson Hotels affiliate.
- Chesapeake Staybridge Suites, 709 Woodlake Dr, ☏ . Specializing in the extended stay experience, this all suites hotel is pet-friendly.
- Courtyard Chesapeake Greenbrier, 1562 Crossways Boulevard, ☏ , fax: .
- Fairfield Inn Chesapeake, 1560 Crossways Boulevard, ☏ , fax: .
- Holiday Inn, 725 Woodlake Dr, ☏ .
- Hyatt Place Chesapeake/Greenbrier, 709 Eden Way North, ☏ . Rooms with free Wi-Fi, large work space, refrigerator, flat screen TV, and alarm clock with MP3 connection. Guests have access to free parking, free breakfast, indoor pool and fitness center. $122.
- Norfolk Marriott Chesapeake, 725 Woodlake Drive. High-speed Internet access, business centers, Express Check-in/Check-out, concierge services.
- Residence Inn Chesapeake Greenbrier, 1500 Crossways Blvd, ☏ , fax: .
- SpringHill Suites Chesapeake, 2424 Gum Road, ☏ , fax: .
- TownePlace Suites Chesapeake, 2000 Old Greenbriar Road, ☏ , fax: .
|Routes through Chesapeake|
|Norfolk ← Virginia Beach ←||W E||→ END|
|END ←||W E||→ Portsmouth → Norfolk|
|Newport News ← Suffolk ←||N S||→ END|
|Salisbury ← Norfolk ←||N S||→ Suffolk → Greenville|
|Fredericksburg ← Portsmouth ←||N S||→ Elizabeth City → Wilmington|
|Petersburg ← Suffolk ←||W E||→ Norfolk → END|