Chorzów is a large city in Upper Silesia (the Silesian Voivodeship). It is home to a number of tourist attractions, many of them near or on the border of the regional province of Katowice. It's home to Silesian Park, one of Europe's largest parks.
The dominant economic sectors in the Katowice metropolis region of which Chorzów is part used to be mining, steel, electrical machinery, electronics, and chemicals. Due to economic changes in Poland, heavy industry has given way to commerce and services.
The city of Chorzów was formed in 1934-1939 by a merger of 4 adjacent cities: Chorzów, Królewska Huta, Nowe Hajduki and Hajduki Wielkie. The name of the oldest settlement Chorzów was applied to the amalgamated city.
- Freeway A4: from German Autobahn A4 at Görlitz/Zgorzelec to Wrocław-Gliwice-Chorzów (Batory)-Katowice-Kraków (and towards Ukraine)
- Express Route (DTŚ): Katowice-Chorzów-Ruda Śląska-Zabrze
- National Route DK79: Katowice-Chorzów-Bytom
Three railway stations on two major routes:
- Katowice-Chorzów Batory-Gliwice
- Katowice-Chorzów Batory-Chorzów Miasto-Chorzów Stary-Bytom
Chorzów is well connected within the Upper Silesian Metropolitan Union with bus lines and tram lines. Silesian Interurbans is one of the largest streetcar systems in the world, in existence since 1894. The system spreads for more than 50 km (31 mi) (east-west) and covers the following cities: Będzin, Bytom, Chorzów, Czeladź, Dąbrowa Górnicza, Gliwice, Katowice, Mysłowice, Ruda Śląska, Siemianowice Śląskie, Sosnowiec, Świętochłowice, and Zabrze.
- 1 Silesian Zoological Garden (Śląski Ogród Zoologiczny) (Take a tram or bus from the city center towards Chorzów). Large zoo on the border of Katowice and Chorzów
- 2 Silesian Amusement Park Legendia (Legendia Śląskie Wesołe Miasteczko) (take a tram or a bus in the direction of Chorzów). The oldest amusement park in Poland, on the border of Katowice and Chorzów.
- Planetarium and Astronomical Observatory
- Upper Silesian Ethnographic Park
- nature-landscape protected area "Żabie Doły" (at the border with Bytom and Piekary Śląskie),
- nature-landscape protected area of "Uroczysko Buczyna" (at the border with Katowice and Ruda Śląska),
- aquatic complex "Amelung".
- Silesian Culture and Recreation Park (Wojewódzki Park Kultury i Wypoczynku). The largest city park in Europe (the area of the park is 620 hectares) between Katowice and Chorzów. Among other things Silesian Stadium, Silesian Zoological Garden, Silesian Planetarium, Silesian Amusement Park, Upper Silesian Ethnographic Park and Katowice International Fair Grounds are located in the park. It also has a large rose-exhibition garden (7 hectares, 385 varieties of roses), a swimming-pool complex, a water sports center and a tennis court complex.
- Silesian Stadium is a former home stadium for the Polish national football team, and used for international football games and other events (for example, it has held the Speedway World Championships four times). The stadium also hosts large music concerts. Throughout its history it featured such artists and groups as The Rolling Stones, Metallica, Guns N' Roses, AC/DC, U2, Iron Maiden, Linkin Park, Pearl Jam and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
- Teatr Rozrywki, a local theatre