Colesville-Burtonsville, sometimes called East County, is a suburban area in the eastern part of Montgomery County, Maryland. Other neighborhoods within this region include White Oak, Hillandale, Cloverly, Fairland, Briggs Chaney, Spencerville, and Ashton. Residents of these neighborhoods often consider themselves to be part of Silver Spring while being several miles away from Downtown Silver Spring.
Most people will arrive by car. New Hampshire Avenue (Route 651) and Columbia Pike (Route 29) are the two major north-south roads. The Intercounty Connector (Route 200) is the major highway going east and west.
There are public buses that travel New Hampshire Avenue and Columbia Pike.
The nearest Metrorail station is 1 Glenmont, the last stop on the Red line. From Glenmont, take a taxi from the taxi stand to your destination.
While there are public buses in this area, getting from place to place may take a transfer or two. Many people will find that a car will be helpful here.
Southbound traffic is typically heavy during weekday mornings, while northbound traffic is often heavy during weekday evenings. Other times and days are generally much lighter.
- 1 National Capital Trolley Museum, 1313 Bonifant Rd, ☏ . Sa Su noon-5PM; 20 June-15 Aug: Th F 10AM-2PM, Sa Su noon-5PM. Located in Northwest Branch Park is one of suburban Maryland's best museums for kids (or transit enthusiasts), with a popular 20-minute trolley ride, which you can ride to your heart's content. $7, $5 seniors & children.
- 2 Sandy Spring Museum, 17901 Bentley Rd, Sandy Spring, ☏ . Local museum that focuses on the history of the Sandy Spring area
- 3 Sandy Spring Slave Museum, 18524 Brooke Rd, Sandy Spring, ☏ . A museum that focuses on the heritage of Black folks, from their origin in Africa, through the Middle passage, the salvation the Underground Railroad provided, the struggle for civil rights, and their accomplishments in the United States and elsewhere.
- 1 Adventure Park at Sandy Spring, 16701 Norwood Rd, Sandy Spring, ☏ . Zip lines, rope rigs, and wooden bridges in the forest. For kids and adults.
- 2 Hampshire Greens Golf Course, 616 Firestone Dr, Ashton, ☏ .
- 3 Reddemeade Equestrian Center, 1701 Ednor Rd, Spencerville, ☏ . M-F 8:30am-8pm; Sa-Su 8am-6pm. Horseriding for beginners and experts.
- 4 Underground Railroad Experience Trail, 16501 Norwood Rd, Sandy Spring, ☏ . Best with a guide who understands the history of the Underground Railroad history and how it ran through this area years ago.
- 1 The Bagelry, 36 Vital Way, Colesville, ☏ . New York-style bagel shop. Fresh bagels and many choices of cream cheese.
- 2 Bear Brick Oven Company, 15410 New Hampshire Ave, Colesville (Cloverly Village Center), ☏ . M-Th 11am-9pm; F-Sa 11am-10pm; Sun 11am-8pm. Brick-oven pizza, made to order. Many different pizza toppings available. There is Daiya-brand vegan cheese is available too. Nearly all of their beers are made locally. Sit inside or outside. Live music on some Friday and Saturday evenings. $12-$22.
- 3 Cuba de Ayer, 15446 Old Columbia Pike, Burtonsville, ☏ . Tu-Th 11:30AM-9PM, F Sa 11:30AM-10PM, Su 11:30AM-9PM, closed M. Homestyle Cuban restaurant.
- 4 El Aguila, 55 Randolph Rd, Colesville (Colesville Center), ☏ . Su-Th 10:30AM-10PM, F Sa 10:30AM-midnight. Tex-Mex and Latin American cuisine. Quality ingredients and good service.
- 5 JC Crabhouse, 13432 New Hampshire Ave, Colesville (Colesville Center), ☏ . Casual restaurant for seafood and fish.
- 6 Jewel of India, 10151 New Hampshire Ave, Hillandale, ☏ . Daily 11:30AM-3PM, 5-10PM. Northern Indian restaurant. Great food, great service.
- 7 Kabob N Karahi, 15521 New Hampshire Ave, Cloverly (Cloverly Village Center), ☏ . Daily 11AM-11PM. Pakistani and Indian food. Good quality. Plain surroundings. Often very crowded after dark during the month of Ramadan.
- 8 Ninja Sushi, 13452 New Hampshire Ave, Colesville (Colesville Center), ☏ . M-Th 11AM–3PM, 4PM–9:30PM; F Sa 11AM-10:30PM; Su noon-9PM. Sushi restaurant with lovely presentation, very responsive staff, and a comfortable location.
- 9 Polka Deli, 13438 New Hampshire Ave, Colesville (Colesville Center), ☏ . M-F 11AM-6:30PM, Sa 10AM-6PM, Su 11AM-3PM. Polish deli serving sandwiches and pierogi to go. Also has a small selection of Polish groceries.
- 1 [dead link] Buffalo Wings and Beer, 15412 New Hamsphire Ave, ☏ . M-Th noon-1AM, F-Sa 1PM-2AM. This spot is one of the few family-friendly places that still provide entertainment for the 18 and over crowd. It is a part of a trusted franchise with several locations in the metropolitan area. Numerous events throughout the week such as March Madness, Karaoke, and oldies night. Has a email list serving in which they send coupons as well as notifications for events coming up. Their menu has variety of drinks from upscale wines to draft beers.
- 2 Fusion Bar & Grill, 15535 New Hampshire Ave, Cloverly, ☏ . M 3pm-12am; T 3pm - 11pm; W-Th 3pm-12am; F 3pm-2am; Su 11am-8pm. Neighborhood dive bar with pool tables. Kitchen serves American bar food and a few Korean entrees too. A lot of repeat customers here!
- 3 Quench! Craft Beer & Wine, 13423 New Hampshire Ave, Colesville, ☏ . M-Th 10AM-9PM 10AM-9PM, F Sa 10AM-10PM, Su 10AM-8PM. Favorite bar of many neighborhood residents.
- 1 Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring North/White Oak, 12521 Prosperity Dr, White Oak, ☏ .
|Routes through Colesville-Burtonsville|
|Washington, D.C. ← Silver Spring ←||S N||→ Columbia → Ellicott City|