county seat of Lowndes County, Mississippi, United States
- From points north and south, take US Route 45
- From Tuscaloosa, AL: take Hwy 82 W.
- 1 Golden Triangle Regional Airport (GTR IATA), 2080 Airport Rd, ☏ . The Golden Triangle Regional Airport is centrally located between Columbus, Starkville and West Point. The airport is about 15 minutes from the Mississippi University for Women and Old Waverly Golf Club. Commercial flights are provided by Delta Connection.
- Tennessee Williams Home, 300 Main St, ☏ . M-Sa 8:30AM-5PM, Su 12PM-5PM. The first home of playwright Tennessee Williams serves as the official welcome center in town. It is designated a National Literary Landmark.
- 1 Friendship Cemetery, Fourth Street South. Home to the first Memorial Day (then called Decoration Day) in 1866.
- 2 Mississippi University for Women, 1100 College St, ☏ , toll-free: . The oldest public college for women in America, founded in 1884. It has several buildings on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Waverley Mansion.
- Columbus Spring Pilgrimage. Information available at the Visitor's Center, 300 Main Street +1-662-329-3533. In April several package tours are offered of local historic homes. Walking tours of neighborhoods, candlelight tours of homes and cemetery tours are also offered. Musical presentations and living history exhibits are also showcased throughout town for this yearly event.
- Historic Homes Tours. Several area homes from the antebellum period are open year round. The Visitor's Center can arrange tours of these homes. Prices vary according to how many and which homes you want to view.
- [dead link] Ghost and Legends Tour. It is one of the most exciting evenings of the year. This October, embark on an escorted bus journey through Columbus' haunted past.
- [dead link] Tales From the Crypt. This graveyard tour promises to be a memorable experience for lovers of history and drama, for it is a combination of both. Tales from the Crypt recreates the lives of noted local personalities interred at the historic Friendship Cemetery, site of the Confederate Decoration Day that inspired the poem, "the Blue and the Gray."
- Leigh Mall.
- Magnolia Place.
- Dick's Sporting Goods, 2041 U.S. 45, Columbus, MS 39705, ☏ .
Chain restaurants operating in town include Chili's and Applebee's. Other options include:
- Little Tokyo. For great Japanese
- Cafe on Main. For traditional southern cuisine (now open for lunch and dinner).
- Little Kitchen. Chinese and Southern cuisine.
- J. Broussard's Restaurant of Columbus, MS. New Orleans Cuisine. Good, but high price.
- Harvey's. Decent but moderately to high priced.
- Zachary's (Downtown). Smoker friendly, 21 and over.
- Hitching Post.
- The Princess
- Best Western.
- Wingate Inn.
- Comfort Inn.
- [dead link] Wingate By Wyndham Columbus, 129 Brickerton Street, Columbus, MS, 39701, ☏ .
- Shadowlawn Bed and Breakfast, 1024 College St, ☏ . Check-in: 4PM, check-out: 10AM. Elegant accommodations including WiFi, king rooms, gourmet breakfast. Christian owned and operated.
- Luxapalila Park: A nice place to fish and have outdoor fun.
- Columbus Lake: On the Tombigbee River good fishing and Marina.
- Columbus Spillway: fishing.
|Routes through Columbus|
|Jackson, TN ← Tupelo ←||N S||→ Meridian → Mobile|
|Greenwood ← Starkville ←||W E||→ Tuscaloosa → Montgomery|