Compton is one of the Gateway Cities of Los Angeles, and is mainly known for being the birthplace of rappers Dr. Dre, Ahmad, Kendrick Lamar, NWA and The Game, as well as of professional athletes Serena and Venus Williams.
Compton is west of the north-south I-710 freeway, between CA-91 on the south and I-105 (Century Freeway) on the north. The Metro Rail Blue Line runs directly from Downtown L.A. to Compton via South Central L.A.
- 1 Heritage House (north west corner of Willowbrook Avenue and Myrrh Street). The Heritage House, built in 1869, is a California Historic Landmark. It is the oldest house in Compton and was restored as a tribute to early settlers.
- 2 Tomorrow's Aeronautical Museum, 961 W. Alondra Blvd (at the Compton Airport), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-F 8AM-7PM, Sa 8AM-8PM. Small air museum with a goal of exposing youth to the careers in aeronautics. Several aircraft are on display including a T-38 Talon, the plane that astronauts fly during their training. Free but donations are appreciated..
- 1 Celebrity Helicopters, Inc, 961 West Alondra Blvd (at the Compton Airport), toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. You can take a nice air flight on a helicopter here and see a big part of Los Angeles. $99-479.
- 2 Crystal Casino, 123 E. Artesia Blvd., ☏ . Table gaming with Baccarat, Blackjack, Three Card Poker, Fortune Pai Gow Poker, and Spanish 21.
- 1 Gateway Towne Center, Towne Center Drive (off Alameda St. between Greenleaf Dr. and Artesia Blvd). Has numerous retail stores including Best Buy, Target, Home Depot, Staples, Marshalls and Party City. It is one of the best places to shop and the safest place in Compton. This shopping center alone has four on-duty patrolling police officers.
- 1 Dale's Donuts, 15904 S Atlantic Ave, ☏ . Dale's Donuts is one of the places in the Los Angeles area which features the famous "Giant Donut". Good donuts and coffee.
- 2 Tacos El Unico (Atlantic Ave.), 12920 Atlantic Ave., ☏ . Su-Th 8AM–midnight, F-Sa 8AM–2:30AM. Very authentic Mexican food in the Compton area. This place has some good tacos, tortas and burritos. Their burgers are also worth trying.
- 3 Tacos El Unico (Long Beach Blvd.), 1521 South Long Beach Blvd, ☏ . Su-Th 8AM–midnight, F-Sa 8AM–2:30AM. Very authentic Mexican food in the Compton area. This place has some good tacos, tortas and burritos. Their burgers are also worth trying.
- 4 Winchell's Donut House, 1300 E Alondra Blvd., ☏ .
- 1 LA Crystal Hotel, 123 East Artesia Blvd., ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon. This hotel has a casino, in a safe area of Compton. Complimentary Breakfast, fitness center, and wi-fi. Outdoor pool and 2 Jacuzzis. No pets allowed. Rollaway beds and cribs are not available.
- 2 Royal Inn Compton, 1408 N. Long Beach Blvd., ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. $55-90.
- 3 Willow Tree Inn, 1919 W Artesia Blvd., ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Complimentary breakfast, free wi-fi,
- 4 Travel Plaza Inn, 1116 S. Long Beach Blvd., ☏ .
This city has many parts which are highly dangerous, as well parts that are friendly. North Compton is dangerous, an area well known for high prostitution, gang and narcotic activities. South Compton is relatively better, with houses with no iron bars on the windows, and far fewer active gangs.