Anaheim is a city in Orange County, California. It is best known for being the home of Disneyland. Its second claim to fame is hosting the National Hockey League's Anaheim Ducks and Major League Baseball's Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
The 5 goes directly through Anaheim and can be reached from Los Angeles on the 5 or 91 East. In rush hour, it may be faster to use Route 91 even if it is longer as it is less congested. The 57 Freeway also runs down the Eastern side of Anaheim and is the quickest way to reach that side of the city from the cities just north of Anaheim or from Diamond Bar, Pomona, or Ontario areas. If you are not familiar with Southern California traffic plan on it being congested even outside of peak times and many drivers driving very aggressively. Try to keep your calm even in stressful situations.
The closest commercial airports are John Wayne Airport, Santa Ana (SNA IATA) followed by Long Beach Airport (LGB IATA), while the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX IATA) is the largest one in the area. Ontario airport (ONT IATA) is also a popular choice as it is not much further than LAX, often with far less traffic and hassle.
For those who rent a car or take a taxi, travel time from SNA is about 20-30 minutes, depending on traffic. From LAX, the trip takes about 45-60 minutes, depending on traffic. A taxi from SNA costs about $40; from LAX, about $70.
For most people who don't rent a car, shared shuttle van service, like SuperShuttle, is an economical option. The shuttle will make multiple stops, but you will be delivered right to the door of your hotel. From LAX, the cost is about $16 per person one way/$32 per person round trip, plus tip. From SNA, the cost is about $10 per person one way/$20 per person roundtrip, plus tip.
By train or busEdit
1 Anaheim Regional Transportation Intermodal Center. , or ARTIC, is Anaheim's central train and bus station. The station is located at 2626 East Katella Avenue, near the Honda Center and Angel's Stadium.
- Amtrak. The Pacific Surfliner route serves this station, connecting Anaheim with San Diego to the south and San Luis Obispo to the north (via Los Angeles and Santa Barbara).
- . Regional rail service to Anaheim is available on the Orange County Line, which runs from Los Angeles to Oceanside.
- Greyhound & Cruceros USA, ☎ , toll-free: . Travels primarily on Interstate 5 (Los Angeles, Anaheim, Santa Ana, Oceanside, and/or San Diego). I-5/405 (San Diego, Oceanside, Santa Ana, Anaheim, Long Beach). SR-55/60 (Santa Ana, Anaheim, Riverside, San Bernardino). Some variations of the above routes may be direct from Los Angeles or Long Beach to San Diego while others make fewer stops in between. Cruceros USA continues from San Diego to Tijuana. Passengers transfer in Los Angeles and/or San Bernardino to get to additional destinations in the U.S. and in Tijuana for onward connections to Mexico.
- Megabus. Bus service from San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose and Las Vegas.
- Anaheim Resort Transportation (ART). Provides 20 local bus routes serving the Disneyland Resort, Downtown Disney, Anaheim City Center, Knott’s Berry Farm, Honda Center, Angel Stadium and area hotels.
The transit connection to Disneyland is actually best at the Fullerton Amtrak/Metrolink station in the city's pleasant downtown area. From there it's just short a ride on OCTA line 43 (towards Costa Mesa) to Disneyland along Harbor Blvd. From the Anaheim Station (ARTIC) OCTA line 430 specifically serves as a shuttle from ARTIC to the Disneyland Resorts as it it goes around all sides of the park. The line 50 (towards Long Beach) only passes by Disneyland along the south side on W Katella Ave.
You can also get to Disneyland on Metro bus 460 from Downtown Los Angeles, a semi-express bus that is a fairly slow but direct ride; and RTA bus 200 from San Bernardino and Riverside which travels primarily on Hwy 91.
- Orange County Tranportation Authority (OCTA), ☎ . Provides bus service within Anaheim and to neighboring communities.
- Anaheim Resort Transportation (ART), ☎ . Provides shuttle service to area tourist destinations, including Disneyland, California Adventure, Angel's Stadium, Honda Center, Knott's Berry Farm, Medieval Times, Crystal Cathedral, and more.
There are two professional sports teams that play in Anaheim:
- 1 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, Angel Stadium of Anaheim, 2000 Gene Autry Way, ☎ . The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim are the Los Angeles area's American League baseball team.
- 2 Anaheim Ducks, 2695 East Katella Ave (Honda Center), ☎ . The Anaheim Ducks are an NHL Hockey team that plays across from Angel Stadium in the Honda Center (formerly the Arrowhead Pond). You may also see Disney On Ice shows here as well. It is also open for the public to go and skate.
- 3 Anaheim Convention Center, 800 West Katella Ave. (just south of Disneyland.), ☎ . Check out the events taking place
- Flightdeck Air Combat Center, 1601 S. Sunkist St. Unit A, ☎ . 12-6PM. Opened in 2005, Flightdeck Air Combat Center is an authentic military flight simulation center providing civilians the chance to pilot a fighter jet flight simulator. All Sims are full scale replicas of F-16 cockpits. Flight-gear, training and in-flight instruction are provided. Flightdeck has been reviewed on many "things to do" sites and is consistently rated in the top 10 things to do in Orange County. $49-$79.
- 4 Camelot Golfland. ,
- 5 Sky Zone Anaheim.
- Downtown Disney District (Just outside the park entrance). Has a number of shops for souvenirs as well as a Lego shop and a number of cloths outlets.
- 1 Anaheim Garden Walk, 321 West Katella Ave (near South Harbor Blvd close to Disneyland.), ☎ . A relatively new complex, stretching from Katella to Disney Way, with shops, eating places, a sleek cinema, and a fancy bowling place. Not overly popular destination and has many empty lots.
There are lots of places to eat in and around Disneyland.
- 1 La Brea Bakery Café, 1556 Disneyland Dr, ☎ . (Located at Downtown Disney, along with many other restaurants, such as ESPN Zone and Rainforest Café).
- 2 Mama Cozza's Italian Restaurant, 2170 W. Ball Rd (Exit from the I-5 Freeway on to Ball Road; from Disneyland head south on Harbor Blvd., turn right on to Katella Ave., right on to Euclid St., then left on to W. Ball Road.), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Mon-Thu 11AM-11PM, Sat noon-11PM, Sun noon-10PM. Located just two miles west of Disneyland, Mama Cozza's is a somewhat secluded Italian restaurant serving pizzas, pastas, and steaks. The "Mama Sauce" is Mama Cozza's thicker marinara sauce and goes great on the lasagna and other pastas. Expect to pay from $10-15 for pasta dishes, $15-30 for main entrees, plus drinks from $2.
- 3 Downtown Disney District. Promenade area just outside the park with lots of shopping and restaurant facilities, catering for adults as well as younger people. For example House of Blues Anaheim offers good food and beer as well as live music and the Rainforest Cafe a great environment to take the kids too. Free, parking fee cancelled if you make a purchase..
- 4 The Cheesecake Factory, 321 W Katella Avenue, ☎ . Good selection of meals as well as cakes and drinks.
- 5 Cortina's Italian Market, 2175 W Orange Ave, ☎ . Italian food market with simple order at counter and sit down restaurant. Serves very good pizza and pasta dishes.
- 6 Aleppo's Kitchen, 513 1/2 S Brookhurst St (Parking and entrance are behind the strip-mall, not obvious from the main road.), ☎ . Syrian restaurant. If you like middle eastern food this is a must visit. Check out for example the Lamb Kabseh as well as a good selection of starters. The indoor and outdoor seating areas are better decorated and laid out than you would expect from the location description.
Despite being one of the most popular destinations for tourists in California, Anaheim has very little to offer in terms of nightlife. Most nightlife destination are restaurant bars or dive bars. Those looking for a more exciting nightlife should travel to the nearby areas of Downtown Fullerton (10-15 mins) or Newport Beach (20-25 mins).
There are many of hotels, motels and inns all around Disneyland for all budgets and tastes.
- 1 Alpine Inn, 715 West Katella Ave (near South Harbor Blvd, adjacent to Disneyland). Traditional 2-story motel with exterior corridors and no elevator, and with pool and parking in the center, is located across the street (Katella) from the Anaheim Convention Center. Although it backs into Disneyland, the entrances to Disneyland (the south entrance is closed) are a short drive or a good 10 min walk away. Basic continental breakfast, wifi, use of a computer in the lobby, and microwave and refrigerator in room are all free.
- 2 Americas Best Value Inn & Suites (At the Park / Convention Center), 425 West Katella Ave (on Katella Avenue near Harbor Blvd), ☎ . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. Large heated outdoor swimming pool and spa. Complimentary Breakfast as well as free parking and Internet access price=$69-199.
- 3 Anaheim Courtyard by Marriott, 2045 S Harbor Blvd, ☎ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. The Courtyard by Marriott Anaheim hotel has room types to accommodate families, couples and business travelers. Guests can choose from a Deluxe Room or a Kids' Suite. Restaurant, Bar, Free wifi. from $109.
- 4 Astoria Inn & Suites, 426 West Ball Rd, ☎ . Located just blocks from Disneyland Resort, Anaheim Convention Center, and many top attractions. Offers amenities such as a shuttle to Disneyland, pool, spa, high speed internet, continental breakfast, and guest laundry!
- 5 Cortona Inn and Suites, 2029 S. Harbor Blvd. A Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel offering family suite lodging accommodations with bunk beds, complimentary continental breakfast, outdoor heated pool and whirlpool, and video arcade room.
- 6 DoubleTree Guest Suites Anaheim Resort, 2085 S. Harbor Blvd, ☎ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 12PM. Premium, full service hotel features Tuscan-inspired décor with contemporary flair.
- 7 Holiday Inn Anaheim-Resort Area, 1915 S Manchester Ave, ☎ . Good quality hotel although bed not the most comfortable. Not far from the park. Free wifi, refrigerator and microwave in rooms.
- 8 Hotel Pepper Tree, 2375 West Lincoln Ave, toll-free: . Extended stay hotel with Southern California style and rustic Spanish influence. Warm earthy décor, hand-crafted wood furniture, and Hollywood memorabilia.
- 9 Hilton Anaheim, 777 Convention Way, ☎ . The largest hotel in Orange County, adjacent to the Convention Center and across the street from Disneyland.
- 10 Hyatt Place at Anaheim Resort/Convention Center, 2035 S. Harbor Blvd, ☎ .
- 11 Majestic Garden Hotel, 900 South Disneyland Dr, ☎ , toll-free: . Check-in: 4PM, check-out: 11AM. Large hotel located half a mile from the main entrance to Disneyland. Rooms are clean and generally a good size. There's a bar, restaurant and gift shop with basic food items in the hotel, and a pool and gardens outside. The hotel runs a free shuttle bus to and from Disneyland every 30 minutes from park opening to 75 minutes after park closing. Rooms on the I-5 side of the hotel do get a bit of highway noise, but otherwise a pretty quiet location. $170-250, rates can be lower in slower periods.
Anaheim is considered one of the safest cities in the United States considering its size. Anaheim has a low rape and murder rate, although the rape rate has been growing, along with the national average. By far, the most dangerous crime is aggravated assault. Common sense must be used after dark, and never travel alone. Anaheim was mostly spared during the 1992 Los Angeles riots.
- Buena Park's E-Zone, the home of Knott's Berry Farm can easily be reached from Anaheim via Orange County Transit Authority buses. From Disneyland, travel west on Katella Avenue to Stanton, then north on Beach Boulevard to Buena Park.
- Los Angeles and San Diego are accessible from Anaheim via Amtrak and Metrolink at the Anaheim railway station.
|Routes through Anaheim|
|Los Angeles ← Buena Park ←||N S||→ Orange → Santa Ana|
|END ←||N S||→ Orange → Newport Beach|
|Pomona ← Placentia ←||N S||→ Orange → Santa Ana|
|Long Beach ← Fullerton ←||W E||→ Corona → Riverside|
|Los Angeles ← Fullerton ←||N S||→ Santa Ana → San Diego|