County Fermanagh (Irish: Contae Fhear Manach) is a largely rural county in the south-west of Northern Ireland and is famed for its numerous lakes. County Fermanagh belongs to the province of Ulster and is one of the six counties that form Northern Ireland. It is Northern Ireland's western most county and covers an area of 1,691 km². Its capital (County Town) is Enniskillen housing the tourist attractions of Enniskillen Castle, Cole's Monument, the Ardhowen Theatre and Saint Macartin's Cathedral.
County Fermanagh is a rural area and therefore agriculture and tourism are the most important industries. The agricultural land is mainly used for hay and grazing than for other crops. The two lakes Upper Lough Erne and Lower Lough Erne are separated by the county's capital and linked to the river Shannon.
- 1 Enniskillen (Inis Ceithleann, "Ceithlenn's island") – situated between the Upper and Lower sections of Lough Erne
- 2 Ballinamallard (Béal Átha na Mallacht, "ford-mouth of the curses")
- 3 Belcoo (Béal Cú, "mouth of the narrow stretch of water") - and Florencecourt: Florence Court, the Marble Arch Caves
- 4 Belleek (Béal Leice, "mouth of the flagstones") - with Belleek Pottery, the oldest pottery in Ireland producing the finest china.
- 5 Irvinestown (Baile an Irbhinigh) - with Necarne Castle and Castle Archdale
- 6 Kesh (Ceis, "wicker bridge")
- 7 Lisbellaw (Lios Béal Átha, "ringfort at the ford-mouth")
- 8 Lisnaskea (Lios na Scéithe, "fort of the shield") and the Crom Estate
There are three main airports in Northern Ireland.
Many like the freedom of self-drive tours of Northern Ireland. AA Route Planner is a good resource for planning your travel routes. You drive on the left hand side of the well maintained roads in Northern Ireland.
A network of national cycleways crosses the county, though they're mostly on road.
Pounds sterling (£) is the local currency. Due to the county's proximity to the Republic of Ireland, euros (€) are accepted by many retailers, but only notes, never coins. Most retailers and establishments will display whether they accept euro or not, but it is advisable to have your money changed to the local currency.
You would look at spending about £5-7 on "pub grub" for lunch in a bar. Budget for about £20 for a main course meal in a mid price restaurant in the evenings.
B&Bs and guesthousesEdit
There are high quality B&Bs/family run guesthouses in Fermanagh. Expect to pay around £20-30 per person on average. With over 58 properties on offer this is the preferred method of accommodation for most visiting Fermanagh looking for value.
Hostels are a cheaper option but have less coverage than B&Bs. There are only 4 hostels: the Bridges Youth Hostel, Lough Melvin Holiday Centre, Tir Navar, and Share Centre.
There are about 11 hotels operating in Fermanagh, ranging from 2- to 4-star.
For groups and larger families there are over 180 self-catering choices on offer so you will be spoilt for choice.
You be surprised to hear that Fermanagh has the second lowest crime rate in Europe. Even during the height of the "troubles" and civil rights movement Fermanagh tourist attractions were hardly affected. The unrest of the 1970s and 1980s have become a thing of the past.
- North East to County Tyrone
- North West to County Donegal, Ireland
- South East to County Monaghan, Ireland
- South West to County Leitrim, Ireland
- South to County Cavan, Ireland