Danbury - nicknamed Hat City - is a city in the interior of Fairfield County, Connecticut, making it part of the Litchfield Hills region. Danbury is a small city located 60 miles southwest of Hartford and 70 miles (110 km) northeast of New York City. Founded in the 17th century, Danbury is the former hat capital of the United States. It was once home to the Great Danbury Fair that has since been replaced by the Danbury Fair Mall, the largest shopping mall in Connecticut. Today, the city has a population of about 75,000 people. It is home to Western Connecticut State University
- Westchester County Airport (HPN IATA) near White Plains, NY with direct flights from 21 US cities including Philadelphia, Atlanta, Washington DC, Detroit, Chicago, Orlando and Tampa. It is about 40 minutes away
- Stewart International Airport (SWF IATA) near Newburgh, NY, with flights going to Philadelphia, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, Atlanta, and Detroit. It is about 60 minutes away
- Tweed New Haven Regional Airport in New Haven, with a flight going to Philadelphia. It is about 70 minutes away
- LaGuardia Airport in Queens, NYC, with dozens of flights going worldwide. It is about 70 minutes away
- Bradley International Airport in Windsor Locks, with dozens of flights going worldwide. It is about 80 minutes away
- John F. Kennedy International Airport in Queens, NYC, with dozens of flights going worldwide. It is about 80 minutes away
- Newark Liberty International Airport in Newark, NJ, with dozens of flights going worldwide. It is about 100 minutes away
- 1 Danbury Municipal Airport (DXR IATA). A small two-runway public general aviation airport
The easiest and best way to get around Danbury would be by car or bus. With the city being about 44 sq mi (110 km2), it would not be easy to walk to see the entire town.
HART Bus Serivces The bus line that goes through Danbury is HART. The HART services range from regular buses that can go as far as New Milford and Norwalk, the CityCenter Trolley services, and bus shuttles that go straight to Brewster NY train station to go into New York City.
Rental cars Rental cars are also available for those who would rather drive themselves around. Most popular rental car services being Hertz Car Rental +1 203 743-6773, Avis Rent-A-Car +1 203 744-5450, and Enterprise Rent-A-Car +1 203 748-8998.
- Candlewood Town Park, 36 Hayestown Rd. Over 200 yards of beach with an 100-acre grassy park attached. It is a manmade lake in Danbury that is a hotspot for the summer time. There is a playground and a concession stand in the park. There is also a boat dock near the beach front.
- Hatters Park, 7 E. Hayestown Rd. Around 30 acres for outdoor and indoor activities. Has a Duckpin Bowling Alley, banquet hall, pond, picnic area and three softball fields.
- Kenosia Park Christopher Columbus Ave: 25-acre park with over 100 yards of beach with tables, playground, 3 soccer fields, and row boats.
- Rogers Park End of Main St and South Main St. Around 60 acres that contains recreational fields for the public and many sports teams in the Danbury area. 8 tennis courts, 10 baseball fields, handball court, soccer field, volleyball fields, and basketball courts. Also has a large playground adjacent for younger children.
- Terrywile Park Southern Blvd. 717 acre park for the hiker or outdoorsy type. Has numerous hiking trails, green house, carriage house, farm house, gate house, and a castle to explore.
- Danbury Museum and Historical Society, Main Campus: 43 Main St. M-Sa 10AM-4PM. Tours of historic buildings Sat only. 5 historical buildings: Huntington Hall, the Rider House, John Dodd Hat Shop, the Little Red Schoolhouse, and the Marian Anderson Studio. They also own and operate Charles Ives Birthplace.
- Danbury Railway Museum, 120 White Street (adjacent the Danbury Metro-North Train Station), ☏ . M-Sa 10AM-5PM; Su noon-5PM. This historical Danbury train station that closed in 1993 is now a museum that teaches the public about the history of railroading and its role in our town. Activities includ from tours, train rides, exhibits. $6 adults, $5 seniors (60+), $4 children (3-12), members & visitors under 3 are free.
- Military Museum of Southern New England, 125 Park Ave, ☏ . F Sa 10AM-5PM, Su 1-5PM. This museum displays memorabilia from World War II, Korea, and Vietnam. Good place to take those who are interested in history and want to learn more about the wars. $6 adults, $4 seniors (62+), children (18 and under) and military. Children 5 and under are free.
- Danbury Ice Arena, 1 Independence Way, ☏ . Hours vary for public skate and events. Home of the Danbury Whalers, a minor league professional ice hockey team in the Federal Hockey League. A great place to take the whole family. Have public skate during the days, as well as at night. Friday night is a great public skate night for the teenagers, while during the day on weekends is better for family activities. The activities are endless ranging from watch the Danbury hockey league the Mad Hatters or even watching the local high school and college hockey games.
- O'Neill Center Westside campus of Western Connecticut State University (turn into the westside entrance and go straight) It is the multi-purpose athletic facility for WCSU. It has a weight room, swimming pool, and locker room for students. Also, contains the Feldman Arena where WCSU basketball and volleyball teams play. Local high school sports teams also hold special games at this facility. All the events are open to the public.
- War Memorial, 1 Memorial Drive, ☏ . 5:30AM-9PM. Have to obtain a membership to enter or pay one time fee. Activities range from open gyms, fitness center, yoga, karate, dance classes and more. Good place for students in the area to work out. Also are involved in many community events.
- Ritcher Park Golf Course, 100 Aunt Hack Rd, ☏ . A full 18 hole, Demo Golf Course that sits on over 180 acres. Perfect for golfers of all skill levels. Aside for being a golf course, Ritcher also contains banquet facilities, tennis courts, and hiking trails.
- Danbury PAL: Police Activities League, 35 Hayestown Rd, ☏ . A facility that is located directly across the street from Candlewood Lake. It is a great place for children of all ages to come and enjoy athletic and educational programs. These programs range from basketball, softball, cheerleading, bowling, volleyball, wrestling, etc. Aside from these organized activities there are open gyms that public can attend. Call the PAL center for specific times.
Music and theatersEdit
- Palace Theater, 165 Main St. Opened in 1928. Now it is a single screen venue for performing arts and movies. A great place to go and see part of the original Main St. in Danbury.
- AMC Theater, 61 Eagle Rd, ☏ . Hours vary call theater for specific movie times. A place to go and see the newest movies out. A great spot on weekends for young teenagers to hang out with an arcade in the back of the lobby.
- Ives Concert Park. WSU University Blvd. The perfect place to go for the summer. Ives is a venue for live music that is located on the west side campus of Western Connecticut State University. During the summer it is a great place for families to go and enjoy popular live music and fine arts events.
- [formerly dead link] City Center Danbury: (in downtown Danbury on Main St. and various streets off of Main St.). The Danbury Downtown Special Services District otherwise known as City Center Danbury, was established in 1988. It is a one square mile district in downtown Danbury. City Center holds a variety of events through out the year, the most popular during the summer. Some of the events are; Danbury Farmers Market, Halloween on the Green, Holiday Lights, Summer Concert Series: live music located on Ives St. Green, A Taste of Greater Danbury: event with food from local restaurants, crafts and entertainment.
- Danbury Fair Mall, 7 Backus Ave, ☏ . M-Sa 10AM-9:30PM, Su 11AM-7PM. 2-level mall with over 200 stores and food establishments. The main anchor stores are Macy's, JCPenney, Sears, Primark, and Lord & Taylor.
- Berkshire Center, Newtown Rd.. It is across the street from the Holiday Inn and Courtyard Marriott and includes Marshalls, Walmart, Radio Shack, Home Goods, Staples Fashion Bug, a nail salon, pet store, Sprint phone company store, Namco pool supplies and Edible Arrangements.
- North Street Shopping Center, North Street (near Danbury Hospital). Has a Burlington Coat Factory, Mandee (a young ladies' clothing store), A&P supermarket, Radio Shack, Carvel's Ice Cream Shop, a barber shop, Hallmark, laundromat, nail salon, Dollar Tree and Rite Aid.
- Three Brothers Diner: 242 White St, +1 203 748-6008
- Windmill Diner: 14 Mill Plain Rd, +1 203 743-6541
- Alley Way Diner: 14 Ives St, +1 203 743-0447
- Elmer's Diner: 22 Padanaram Rd, +1 203 731-2559
- New Holiday Diner: 123 White St, +1 203 748-9798
- Olive Garden: 36 Backus Ave, +1 203 743-2144
- Sbarro Italian Eatery: 7 Backus Ave # C2208, +1 203 794-182
- Bertucci's Brick Oven: 98 Newtown Rd, +1 203 739-0500
- Cafe on the Green: 100 Aunt Hack Road, +1 203 791-0369
- Sal's Pizza Restaurant: 23 Padanaram Rd # R23, +1 203 744-2422
- Michael Angelo's Pizzeria, 75 Lake Ave, ☏ .
- Sinapi's Pizza & Restaurant: 15 Backus Ave, +1 203 792-7030
- Sesame Seed Restaurant: 68 W Wooster St, +1 203 743-9850
- Good Taste Chinese Restaurant: 247 Main St, +1 203 798-8978
- Beijing Chinese Restaurant: 216 White St, +1 203 743-1188
- Panda Express: 7 Backus Ave, +1 203 797-0673
- China King: 1 Division St # C, +1 203 798-9262
- Jeffrey's Chinese Kitchen: 7 Pembroke Rd, +1 203 730-8603
- Dragon Cheng: 132 West St, +1 203 790-4297
- Great Wall: 30 Germantown Rd, +1 203 730-9111
- El Rancho Mexican: 20 White St, +1 203 730-9470
- Chili's Grill and Bar: 81 Newtown Rd, +1 203 778-6703
- Desert Moon Cafe: 113 Mill Plain Rd, +1 203 207-0325
- El Millieno Restaurant: 21 North St, +1 203 207-0156
- Panchos Tacos Mexican Restaurant: 141 White St, +1 203 790-0900
- Britos Restaurant Mexican Food: 41 South St, +1 203 797-0885
- El Rancho Foods: 392 Main St, +1 203 730-0332
- Stew Leonard's, 99 Federal Rd, ☏ . Daily 8AM-10PM. It's Disney meets dairy, where you can enjoy a song and dance from large mechanical chickens as you pick up your eggs. Fresh dairy store that also has expanded to meats, produce, bakery, fish, cheese and wine.
- [formerly dead link] C-Town, 45 North St, ☏ . Individually owned and operated store. Great place to go if you are looking for international food products.
- Stop & Shop 44 Lake Ave. Ext. +1 203 797-8901 Daily 7AM-midnight  / 72 Newtown Rd. +1 203 798-0555 M-Sa 6AM-midnight, Su 7AM-midnight 
- Maron Hotel & Suites, 42 Lake Avenue Ext, ☏ , fax: . The Maron Hotel & Suites is situated between New York City and Boston along Interstate 84. With airports such as Tweed, Westchester and Danbury Municipal all within 30 minutes, and La Guardia International 48 miles away.
- SpringHill Suites Danbury, 30 Old Ridgebury Rd, ☏ , fax: . Easy access to many international airports and minutes to Western Connecticut State University, Charles Ives Center, O'Neill Center, Brewster Sports Center and the Brewster Ice Arena.
- Comfort Suites Danbury, 89 Mill Plain Rd, ☏ .
- Courtyard Danbury, 3 Eagle Road, ☏ , fax: .
- Holiday Inn, 80 Newtown Rd, ☏ .
- Residence Inn Danbury, 22 Segar Street, ☏ , fax: .
|Routes through Danbury|
|Newburgh ← Brewster ←||W E||→ Newtown → Waterbury|
|Central Valley-Harriman ← Brewster ←||W E||→ Bethel → Bristol|
|Pittsfield ← Brookfield ←||N S||→ Ridgefield → Norwalk|
|Peekskill ← Brewster ←||W E||→ Brookfield → Torrington|
|Stamford ← Bethel ←||SW NE||→ END|