Darlington (locally nicknamed Darlo) is a town in County Durham. Best known for its pioneering role in the development of the railway in the 19th Century.
Get in edit
By plane edit
- 1 Teesside International Airport (MME IATA). From 2004 to 2019 this was known as Durham Tees Valley Airport; it resumed its earlier name when it came back into public ownership. The only regular international flight is by KLM from Amsterdam. There are regular Eastern flights from London City, Belfast City and Aberdeen, and in summer from Newquay; other planned routes have fallen victim to Covid. The £6 outbound passenger charge was abolished in June 2021 Bus 12 normally runs 6-8 times M-Sa from Darlington railway station but is suspended in mid-2020. At a pinch you could take the frequent train from Darlington to Dinsdale (heading for Saltburn) then walk the last mile; the airport railway station has only a "Parliamentary" train once on a Sunday. There's ample parking just outside the terminal, for around £15 / day booked online, £25 / day if you just turn up.
By train edit
- 2 Darlington train station. train station with local and mainline services including London King's Cross, York and Edinburgh. There is an office for Europe car Hire cars in the town.
By bus edit
Arriva buses connect Darlington to most local areas.
- 1 Head of Steam (formerly known as The Darlington Railway Centre and Museum), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Tuesday to Sunday: 10am-4pm. Exhibits some of the earliest steam locomotives to be found anywhere in the world. £3- £4.95.
- Art in the Yards. Large scale artworks in an open air setting
- 2 Ulnaby. buried medieval village, half-mile walk from town.
- Pizza Express, 1 Skinnergate. National chain restaurant serving Italian style food such as pizzas and pasta dishes. Decent wine selection.
Most of the bars are clustered in an area around Skinnergate, which runs parallel to High Row, connected by a number of alleyways.
- Blackwell Grange Hotel, Darlington, DL3 8QH. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. From £45.
- Bannatyne Hotel, Darlington, DL3 7HZ. From £50.
- Kings Hotel, Preistgate, DL1 1NW. From £45.
- 1 Headlam Hall, Headlam, near Gainford, DL2 3HA (off B6279), ☏ . Upscale country hotel in 17th C mansion. With spa, golf and great dining. B&B double from £150.
- Rockcliffe Hall, Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, DL2 2DU. A luxury country hotel 5 miles from Darlington (15 min drive), with spa and golf facilities. Contact hotel for room rates.
- 2 Clow Beck House, Monk End Farm, Croft-on-Tees DL2 2SP, ☏ . Splendid little hotel in farmhouse 3 miles from town. No dogs. B&B double £140.
As of June 2022, Darlington has 4G from O2 and Vodafone, and 5G from EE and Three.
Go next edit
|Routes through Darlington|
|Newcastle upon Tyne ← Durham ←||N S||→ Richmond → Leeds|