The best way to enter is by car, roads from the A66, A1 and the Yorkshire Dales all suffice. Arriva Bus services from Darlington are regular but not the cheapest way to get in, less regular bus services also come from the Dales, but again are quite expensive. Unfortunately, the train station closed long ago, so the nearest train station is Darlington. The nearest airport is Durham Tees Valley.
Richmond can be walked around easily by foot, parking in the market place can be tough sometimes, the weekly Saturday market prevents parking in the morning.
- 1 Richmond Castle, Riverside Road, DL10 4QW, ☏ . adults £4.80, children £2.90, concessions £4.30.
- The River Swale, spectacular in fast flow.
- 2 Easby Abbey. A nice walk from Richmond, also accessible by car, about a mile away
- 3 Middleham Castle, Castle Hill, Middleham, DL8 4QG (13 miles south of Richmond), ☏ . adults £4.50, children £2.70, concessions £4.10.
- 4 Richmondshire Local History Museum, Ryders Wynd. Apr - Oct: daily 10.30am to 4.30pm.
- 5 Green Howards Regimental Museum, Trinity Church Square. Mon - Sat 10am to 4.30pm (closed Jan). museum founded in 1938 giving the 300 year history of the former Green Howards Regiment of the British Army. £4.50.
- See Northallerton for Kiplin Hall east of Catterick.
- Visit the Station, site of the old train station with a 2 screen cinema, a restaurant/cafe and local shops.
- Go to the races at Catterick, which hosts both flat-racing April-Oct, and jumps racing in winter. The course is at Catterick Bridge DL10 7PE north of Catterick town.
- Kings Head Hotel, Market Place DL10 4HS, ☏ . Large hotel in town centre, part of Coaching Inn Group. B&B double £115.
- 1 Frenchgate Hotel, 59 Frenchgate DL10 7AE, ☏ . 17th and 18th C town houses knocked together into a comfy central hotel with restaurant. No dogs. B&B double £150.
- 2 Millgate House, 3 Millgate DL10 4JN, ☏ . Gorgeous little B&B in a Georgian town house, award-winning garden. B&B double £130, no credit cards.
- Various Bed and Breakfasts dotted around the suburbs
- 3 The Hack & Spade, Whashton DL11 7JL (Off Stoneygate Bank 4 miles northwest of town), ☏ . Unpromising exterior of a former alehouse for quarrymen, but it's no longer a pub, and within is a comfy friendly B&B. No children under 7 or dogs. B&B double £130.
- 4 Middleton Lodge, Kneeton Lane, Middleton Tyas DL10 6NJ (one mile north of Scotch Corner), ☏ . Upscale hotel in collection of Georgian buildings, with great dining. B&B double £220.
- 5 Easby Hall, Love Lane, Easby DL10 7EU, ☏ . Upscale B&B in Georgian country house with 3 rooms: plush fittings and splendid gardens. No credit cards. B&B double £220.
- 6 Cambridge House, Arkengarthdale Rd, Reeth DL11 6QX, ☏ . Splendid comfy B&B in Swaledale, open Feb to mid-Dec, no children under 12. B&B double £100.
- The Yorkshire Dales are just a few miles to the west
- Darlington, large town with shopping and leisure.
- North York Moors, quiet countryside not a long drive to the east.
|Routes through Richmond|
|Newcastle upon Tyne ← Darlington ←||N S||→ Northallerton → Leeds|