Davidson is a small college town in North Carolina. It is known primarily for its association with Davidson College, and is a suburb of Charlotte. It has just over 13,000 residents (2018), of whom some 1,800 are students at the college.
Though Davidson has been swallowed by the suburban growth of Charlotte, it has made an intentional effort to retain its small-town identity. As a result, the downtown and campus area do not have the characteristic sprawl of most American suburbs.
Almost all travelers will access Davidson via Interstate 77.
If you are in Charlotte and want to visit the town for a day trip, consider using the CATS Express buses that run from Uptown Charlotte to Davidson (take the 77X line). Check the bus schedule ahead of time, as Express buses do not run ordinary schedules.
Cars are the primary form of transportation in Davidson. However, the downtown area and college campus are easily traveled by foot or bike.
The college campus is quaint and full of interesting academic architecture. If the weather permits, it is worth a walk around the tree-lined sidewalks.
- Davidson College. A highly-ranked liberal arts college; as one would expect, it has a regular schedule of performances and lectures. Many of these are open to the public, and they are frequently of an exceptionally high quality. Also, the College has the visual art galleries that are typical of a campus.
- Tom Clark Museum, 131 N Main St, ☏ .
Nearby Lake Norman is a major regional attraction. It offers recreational boating, swimming, resorts, and some small beaches.
Davidson's best eateries are within a short walk of the center of town. There is really no need to settle for interstate food.
- O'Donnell's Main Street, 101 N Main St, ☏ . Great place for visitors to grab lunch, especially since it includes a Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Soda Shop, 104 S Main St, ☏ . Old-fashioned diner in the middle of town. Good food and service. Great for kids.
- Jasper's at Davidson, 127 Depot St, ☏ .
- Davino's Restaurant, 231 Griffith St, ☏ .
- Fuel Pizza Cafe, 402 S Main St, ☏ . Offshoot of Charlotte-based Fuel Pizza. Sold by the slice.
- Ben & Jerry's, 202 S Main St, ☏ .
- Bob Bimini Caribbean Barbecue, 408 S Main St, ☏ .
- Ming's Bistro, 624 Jetton St, ☏ .
If you are college-aged, it is a safe bet that you will be able to find drinking opportunities on campus during the school year.
- Brick House Tavern, 209 Delburg St, ☏ .
- Davidson Village Inn, 117 Depot St, ☏ .
|Routes through Davidson|
|Wytheville ← Mooresville ←||N S||→ Cornelius → Charlotte|